“Lost confidence”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hinxton B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lost confidence”
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I would say I ate lunch there yesterday but in actual fact I didn't. I was served raw ham which is a difficult thing to manage in itself. I sent it back and was obviously not taken seriously as I was served it raw again! I asked for my money back.

I have been warned by several colleagues that the food and service is lacking but it wasn't until yesterday I discovered this myself. I was told the manager would email me, he didn't. It's sad because I work right next to the pub and they have a lovely garden, but I won't be going back for food. I have lost confidence in them.

On a positive note, the barmaid was friendly and embarrassed I wasn't happy. The drinks are fine and as mentioned the garden is lovely.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
AlexClarke, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for coming to visit your local. I am sorry to hear we let you down on this occasion - and sorry too to hear that some of your colleagues have not been happy recently - we would much rather hear from them so that we know what we need to address, so if you could ask them to get in touch that would be much appreciated.
As you say, uncooked ham is indeed unusual. We do cook our own in-house, as it is not impossible, although our controls should have picked it up - we have re-visited these and have carried out some additional spot checks.
It has been good to talk to you since and to hear that this is the only bad experience you have had here. I am delighted that you will be coming back and please do keep us informed of any future mishaps (and any successes too!)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I have had a wonderful stay recently in The Red Lion Inn, a place with fantastic old world charm and a warm welcome. The accommodation was exceeded my expectations, rooms were warm, clean and very comfortable.
In the bar and restaurant, there was a fantastic menu for dinner, the quality of food on offer was excellent. Old style English beers and ciders were sampled and the staff were very helpful and attentive.
Would I visit again? In a heartbeat, and I couldn't recommend the place highly enough.
Thanks guys!
Austin.

Room Tip: All rooms are much the same, none any better or worse than the other.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed an overnight stop here. Pretty place, pleasant service and comfortable room and shower for my wheelchair user partner. We would stay here again. We liked the simple decor and the pub setting. Enjoyed a good glass of wine, too.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

Nice enough place, but felt the rooms lacked any "cosiness." Felt a bit austere. Bar & restaurant were nice, but the food was very overpriced for what it was. The specials board was the same over the 2 nights we stayed & also dwindled as the items on there were sold off. So on our last night the specials board had reduced on the mains to warm beef salad & nothing else. Surprising really as there were a few business people in there. Also I was a bit miffed on check out as they had already taken the bill from the credit card that was supplied without my checking the bill & asking how we would like to pay. I was very unhappy about this. I have never stayed anywhere that doesn't let you check the bill first & say how would you like to pay. Nice enough place but would definitely not stop again. They need to up their game.

Room Tip: All rooms are located in out buildings
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
AlexClarke, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
Thank you for coming to visit us. I am glad you rated our rooms, cleanliness, service, location and sleep quality - but sorry we did not "Wow" you. In some ways it is nice that we have come so far that there is an expectation to be wowed - but it is also obviously tougher to live up to - we try our best and are always keen to hear how we are more likely to succeed in this.

The room décor is a tricky one as we have a fairly diverse range of customers - what is crisp, clean and uncluttered to one is austere to another. We try to find a balance between the two.

I am sorry the Specials Board did not work for you. We like to think that our menus are extensive enough for anyone staying for a few days or so, given that it is all prepared from fresh. The Specials Board is just an extra for anything that the chef has found as a one-off. These dishes stay on the board until they are gone, when they are taken off the board - that is the nature of the Specials Board. I agree however that a warm beef salad does not warrant a Specials Board to itself and this has prompted a review of our policy - so thank you for this.

Your check out experience was indeed extraordinary. I have never heard anything like it, let alone in our own place. Thank you for pointing this out - we are investigating to ensure there is not repetition of such and experience - really most odd.

Thank you again for your help. I hope you will return for a more representative experience.
Kind regards
Alex
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We rang to check whether it was advisable to book for Sat lunch. We were told that it was, and so booked a table for 4. Arrived at the pub to be the only people dining in the restaurant at lunchtime. Not sure why it was necessary to book.

Menu is limited in choice and is a little dated. Surroundings are lovely, open fire places etc but the food is where this pub falls down in my opinion. £9 for a scallop starter is not cheap, but to only receive 2 scallops and some salmon 'mousse' (Salmon mousse had been microwaved in clingfilm and was more rubber than mousse.) Salmon fishcake was not crumbed, or even properly formed. Fell apart as the plate was placed down, looked anemic and tasted bland. Main courses were better. Risotto was a little runny, steak was good and fish and chips fine.

It such a shame as the bar area is lovely, but the food just isnt up to the claims of the 'Gastropub of the year'.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank A1EX8
AlexClarke, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Thank you for coming to visit us on Saturday and taking the time to write a review. I am delighted that you liked the staff and appreciated the location, service and cleanliness, as well as the decor. Thank you too for taking the time to book in advance, this is a great help for getting our staffing levels and therefore service right. We have literally thousands of regular customers so even if a small % turn up on the same occasion without booking then we are all in trouble.

I am sorry that you found the menu limited in choice and a little dated. It is difficult when preparing everything from fresh to get the balance between choice and freshness. We feel that at six starters and fourteen main courses and eight desserts, not counting specials and sandwiches, that we are getting it about right.

With regard to the menu being dated, I perhaps unsurprisingly am going to back my Head Chef, Peter Friskey, on this one and suggest that he is right up there bringing innovative dishes to every new menu - "Mackerel – bavarois, ballotine, tartare, quail egg, chervil & parsley purée" or "Lamb – cutlet, saddle & braised breast with baby fondants, broccoli florets, pea purée & fried sweetbread jus". It might be that these dishes have all been the rage before but just before my time?!

I am glad you enjoyed the risotto, steak and fish and chips but sorry that the scallop and fishcake dishes did not work for you - they are a little unusual but both have been very popular. Perhaps a more classic (dated?) fishcake solidly packed and sealed in breadcrumbs would have been of greater appeal, but we prefer to experiment a little. A shame however that you found it bland - apologies for this disappointment. (I am delighted your risotto was runny - it is something I am very keen that the chefs manage to deliver - although you can never please everyone!)

Thank you again for coming and for your feedback. We try to cater for the tastes of the majority of our customers, so it is important to hear what is working and what is not, so that we can adapt in this regard. Please do come again and try some of our other dishes and if you have any particular preferred styles, please do ask as everything is prepared from fresh so there is a lot of flexibility.

Kind regards
Alex
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

went for Sunday Lunch. Bar friendly although a bowl of peanuts cost £2! Restaurant dated. Ordered our food in the bar,were then ushered through to restaurant and food arrived almost before we were seated. No chance to even look at the wine list. Food was cold on cold plates and very rushed until we had eaten and then virtually no service at all. How did this gastro pub win any awards????? Would hve had better service and food at a little chef. Very disappointed. Will NEVER return

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank nellycrumb
AlexClarke, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Thank you for coming to visit us and take the time to review us.
I am sorry that our food and service was not to our usual standard. We obviously have not got where we have with this sort of experience and I will be looking into what went wrong on this occasion. Thank you for you help in this regard.
Alex Clarke
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2013

The room in the Red Lion Hinxton was one of the best I have stayed in the UK. It was warm and comfortable, with an excellent shower! The breakfast service was equally brillant with the traditional full cooked breakfast along side a number of alternatives which was good to see. I would recommend the scrambled egg and salmon. I did eat dinner one evening too, the menu is not extensive but the food was excellent although relatively expensive. The service was friendly too. I would definitely return here and would recommend this to friends and famly. The price was expensive but similar to those of other local B&Bs.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinxton
Duxford Lodge
The John Barleycorn
The John Barleycorn
#1 of 2 in Duxford
Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!