The Red Lion Inn
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$121
US$117
US$84
Travelodge
The Saffron Hotel(Saffron Walden)
US$125
Helen Hotel(Cambridge)
US$124
Duxford Lodge(Duxford)
TripAdvisor
The Crown House(Great Chesterford)
TripAdvisor
Sheene Mill(Melbourn)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe pubcar park areaeggs benedictpleasant gardenlovely old pubsticky toffee puddingselection of beersserved promptlybar area isnice bathroomgreat food and beerwaiting staffone night staylambplenty of parkingsister pubvisiting cambridge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I stayed here as a last minute idea, needing to work late one night. The rooms and location are really good if you are working for example at Granta Park, Cambridge. The rooms are large certainly and one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in for a jolly long time which after working late was just what I needed. There was a decent desk and reliable wifi connection as well, plus the bathroom had a lovely hot shower, all good stuff. I was I have to say disappointed though by the food. There were the normal fish and chips, burger and chips etc, I had hoped for something to tempt me, I now see that there was a bar menu and a seperate dining room menu which would have helped if it had been explained, but anyway. Whilst the food was well cooked and a reasonable price, I didnt feel like I had eaten anything particularly different. The price of the rooms were I thought very expensive as a single person staying in a double room, which could explain why there only appeared to be a few people staying. Other local places were fully booked that night and their rooms I know are about 20% cheaper. The village and location plus facilities are really nice but their prices are just too much.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
AlexClarke, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind comments about so much of what we do - great location, beds, rooms, wifi, bathrooms, cleanliness etc - it is always reassuring to hear we are getting things right.
It was a shame you did not experience our food at its best. We are all bemused as to how you could have passed through the pub without coming across our a la carte food as well as our bar food as they are all in the same menu folders and served throughout the pub, whichever section you settle in?! Our bar menu is designed for those that prefer the classics done well, rather than those after a more fine dining experience from the a la carte. I can see if you were after the latter but only found the former you would have been a little disappointed - you will have to come back to try the other menu!
I am sorry you found the rooms expensive. We have not increased our prices for a year or so now and find that occupancy is extraordinarily high @ £90 for a single, so we feel that we have got it about right. If you would like the same experience for less, then try our new sister pub 10 minutes up the A11 in Balsham, where prices are still at £79 (while stocks last!)

Reviewed 12 May 2013

A group of us stayed and ate an evening meal here in late April.

The staff were friendly and on the ball and delivered us some great food and wine in the restaurant.

My starter of "Seared Wild Caught Scallops – scallop tartar, cauliflower purée, petit radish, white chocolate" sounded like an unlikely combination but it worked really well.

The Boudin Blanc that I had a main tasted great but was pretty dry which was a shame. The venison that others had looked and tasted amazing.

The selection of British cheeses included a couple of French cheeses and could have fed two. The taster deserts were sensational especially the Cambridge burnt cream. The Greek Samos dessert wine was fantastic with it.

Breakfast the next morning was a bit hit and miss. The apple juice was fizzy(!) and after being excited by the promise of eggs benedict were told that there were no muffins.

It was pretty good but could have been better with a bit more attention to detail by the kitchen.

Not much to add about the rooms, they were comfortable, modern and clean with good quality fittings.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We chose to finish a Bank Holiday break by staying at the Red Lion. I had my hopes raised by the reviews & the number of awards they had received. But I think the management have shifted attention to a sister hotel and abandoned this one. The restaurant was not busy, and every other couple was seated at a table for 4, but we were crammed on a tiny table by the door. With a dead flower. No bread was offered, and when we asked for it we got sliced white, served with an excuse that they had run out of the good stuff. We weren't offered water. You had to chase for salt & pepper at breakfast, etc, etc... I'm not usually a moaner but this was disappointing. Even though it's got a great location for those travelling on the M11, and it's not pricey, next time I'll look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Don't expect rooms over the pub - rather they are in a newbuild annex. So it feels more like you're staying at a Holiday Inn than a pub.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for coming to visit us. I am glad you like the location, rooms, food and cleanliness in particular - much of which is what we are all about. I sorry however we let you down on too many details, all of which add up of course and get to you in the end. I can assure you that we have not abandoned The Red Lion - it remains our pride and joy and, if anything, are guilty of still indulging too much of our time here than with its new young sister up the A11 at Balsham. That said you have helpfully pointed out a number of areas that we could usefully brush up on - so thank you for this.

I am intrigued by your room tip - it is actually quite complimentary in a back handed sort of way. I would say that one of our key selling points is that our rooms are NOT above the pub (which risks unwanted smells and noises from the pub and restaurant) but set apart in an extremely quiet and attractively landscaped (Chelsea flower show gold medallist designer no less) corner of the garden. The building is understated and has been sympathetically designed with local flint to be in keeping with the pretty historic village houses of Hinxton. I don't know what Holiday Inns you have been visiting, but there is one up the road at Whittlesford and I know where I would rather stay!

Reviewed 3 May 2013

I would say I ate lunch there yesterday but in actual fact I didn't. I was served raw ham which is a difficult thing to manage in itself. I sent it back and was obviously not taken seriously as I was served it raw again! I asked for my money back.

I have been warned by several colleagues that the food and service is lacking but it wasn't until yesterday I discovered this myself. I was told the manager would email me, he didn't. It's sad because I work right next to the pub and they have a lovely garden, but I won't be going back for food. I have lost confidence in them.

On a positive note, the barmaid was friendly and embarrassed I wasn't happy. The drinks are fine and as mentioned the garden is lovely.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for coming to visit your local. I am sorry to hear we let you down on this occasion - and sorry too to hear that some of your colleagues have not been happy recently - we would much rather hear from them so that we know what we need to address, so if you could ask them to get in touch that would be much appreciated.
As you say, uncooked ham is indeed unusual. We do cook our own in-house, as it is not impossible, although our controls should have picked it up - we have re-visited these and have carried out some additional spot checks.
It has been good to talk to you since and to hear that this is the only bad experience you have had here. I am delighted that you will be coming back and please do keep us informed of any future mishaps (and any successes too!)

Reviewed 2 May 2013

I have had a wonderful stay recently in The Red Lion Inn, a place with fantastic old world charm and a warm welcome. The accommodation was exceeded my expectations, rooms were warm, clean and very comfortable.
In the bar and restaurant, there was a fantastic menu for dinner, the quality of food on offer was excellent. Old style English beers and ciders were sampled and the staff were very helpful and attentive.
Would I visit again? In a heartbeat, and I couldn't recommend the place highly enough.
Thanks guys!
Austin.

Room Tip: All rooms are much the same, none any better or worse than the other.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple