“One of the loveliest pub lunches I've ever had”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hinxton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“One of the loveliest pub lunches I've ever had”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The Red Lion is in a sleepy, des-res village in Cambridgeshire. I went there for lunch and thought it one of the best pub lunches I've ever had. I ordered from the specials menu and had smoked haddock on a bed of leeks and purée potato served with a mouth-watering mustard sauce. The portion was very generous. My friend (who's vegetarian) had a wide selection of choices and had a tasty pasta dish. Even better was to come: dessert! I thoroughly recommend the chef's tasting platter - which comes with three puddings from the menu and is the ideal size to share. The salted caramel tart is to die for.

Lovely old fashioned interior; good service (though I will admit it was quiet when we were there - only a couple of other diners so don't know what it would be like if busy); excellent range of local beers. Overall decent value for money and I'm looking forward to a repeat visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed for one night...alas it was the hottest night of the year, the rooms are nicely decorated and ample space nice to see a good choice of teas in the room, we had a small dog with us and she too was welcomed.
We ate from the bar menu in the evening and sat outside, both food & wine were good. We found all the staff friendly and helpful.
The breakfast we had in the bar because of the dog, we ordered the cook breakfast which was very good a generous portion and all fresh food and bread, we were served cheerfully & promptly.
The only thing that marred our breakfast was the cleaner wanted to hoover around us, we asked the waitress if the cleaner could return when we finished breakfast which she did.
The cleaner came past our table and glared...if looks could kill we would be a pile of ashes??
Shame, because overall we recommend others to go?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Towcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed here a couple of times while working on business. The rooms are clean and adequate, but the noise between rooms is a little too much; I could hear conversations in the next room.
What turned this from OK to never staying again was the disaster that is their breakfast service. The first stay it was slow but at least I got some pretty decent breakfast. The 2nd time I waited 20 minutes to not get a menu, be offered tea etc despite getting the waitresses eye on several occassions. Then when I had to leave as otherwise I would be late I requested not to pay for breakfast on account of the dire service I was told that wouldn't be possible. There are other hotels in the area that offer a far better service at a cheaper rate so I would only use this place as a last resort.

Room Tip: SOme rooms are interconnecting, make sure yours isn't one of them if you don't need it to be...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
AlexClarke, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you for visiting us. I am sorry that you had a noisy neighbour. Rooms 7 and 8 do have an interconnecting door that we can unlock for families or carers for example. The sound proofing is inevitably a little less good for these two rooms I am afraid but only rarely a problem.
I am so sorry about your breakfast experience. We are so aware that this is almost the most important meal of the stay, not least because it is the last one remembered by guests. We are proud of our breakfast offering and like to think we go the extra mile, but if we cannot follow it through in a timely manner then this is not much help. We have followed up your experience and trust that it will not be repeated.
Kind regards
Alex
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here on a business trip, and the rural location was lovely. The room was large, clean, quiet, and restful. Morning breakfast was excellent. The courtyard area was charming, it seems like a great place to visit to get away from it all. I stayed as part of a large meeting nearby, so I can't comment on costs.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We booked overnight based on previous reviews, rooms and staff are well worth the price but we were disappointed when we came to our evening meal. My wife had Prawn Cocktail from the fresh fish menu followed by the Hake. Although stated to be fresh the prawns did look frozen. The Hake was fine but the accompanying sautéed potatoes were undercooked as were the "creamed" leeks (but that was how she liked them) however there was little sign of the mango salsa that was meant to accompany the hake.

I had the crab "lasagne" which was so chilled that little flavour developed. There were also pieces of crab shell in the dish.

Main course was Tornedos Rossini and although the steak was good it did cool down rather quickly and after being re-heated it started to "bleed" and lost some flavour. The Broccoli was too al dente and approached indelible and the fois gras seems to have been seared and then chilled before being placed on the fillet. The potato rosti seemed to consist of half an inch of soggy potato with very little chrispness.

Overall disappointing food but the staff did take our concerns seriously.

Room Tip: No pool or fitness centre so ignore that rating
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your visit and time in feeding back. I am glad you enjoyed much of your stay and congratulations on your choice of dishes - some of which we are most proud. You clearly have a very firm idea of what works for you and sorry that some of our style was not in keeping with yours. We do tend to go al dente for our vegetables and this can be too much for some. It looks as though we did not quite hit the mark in other areas too but it is difficult to please all tastes.
Given that you have kindly given us four stars for rooms, service, cleanliness, location and sleep quality, with a three star for value, an overall score of two stars seems a little harsh - but we have high standards and so are always keen to focus on the few and fine detail of where we can improve - so thank you for this.
Kind regards
Alex
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Our family stayed here for a long weekend, while visiting Duxford. The rooms are wonderful - huge beds and very comfortable. All the staff were friendly and very helpful - made us feel very welcome. And they serve a good pint, which we enjoyed in the lovely gardens. We will definitely go back!

Room Tip: We booked three rooms - 2 doubles and a single for our son. Even the 'single' had a super-k...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thaxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Took my family there on Sunday 9th June for Sunday lunch.

Staff were very frendly but lacked any feeling of training and professional experience.There seamed to be nobody in charge. Food was the same.

Food ordered was traditional roast beef Sunday lunch. Very average standard for pub lunch which you could get for £7 to £9. We paid £15 each for main meal so should have been special,it was not. In a good Sunday lunch each element of the meal should be special and be able to stand alone.There was no attention to detail in the preperation. Total bill came to £70 for three,very overpriced for average cooking. Only a few other diners from 1.30 to 2.30 pm.
Used to go there every Sunday 10 years ago when I lived in Duxford. It was special then and a great price. Place was packed every Sunday. Owners were always around to check.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gregory1096726
AlexClarke, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Thank you for coming to visit us for Sunday lunch. I am sorry you are missing the good old days 10 years ago. I took the pub over from Jim and Lynda Crawford in 2003 - so around when you were last here. They ran a very successful pub and I have tried hard to keep it that way as well as keep up with the times. I have admittedly changed to specification a little and targeted a slightly different customer. I have looked back at their Sunday lunch menus then and see they were offering topside of beef for £6.95 - those were the days! We have in fact chosen to offer prime sirloin of beef - the same cut that we use for our steaks. This comes at a price, but I would hope that the quality comes through and is worth it - although it would appear not in your case, which is a shame.
I am sorry that there appeared to be no one in charge. I put great trust in my staff and like to stretch them with additional responsibilities as soon as I think they are ready. Inevitably this sometimes results in less experienced staff running the show, but I believe they are up for it and their "managerial manner" will catch up with their ability in no time I am sure.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinxton
Duxford Lodge
The John Barleycorn
The John Barleycorn
#1 of 2 in Duxford
Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!