“Amazing Pub Grub” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hinxton B&B and Inns
Sturminster Newton, United Kingdom
“Amazing Pub Grub”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Our party of ten met at the Red Lion which included a high chair for a 14 month old baby on Sunday 25th August 2013.
When we arrived we were greeted by a lady manager and were shown to our table which was reserved and laid up complete with a high chair.
The manager came over to us an explained that they had a large wedding lunch and there would be a delay in food service and promptly asked us if we would like bowls of olives and nuts which appeared almost immediately.
Our food orders were taken and in about twenty minutes the main courses arrived four people had roast sirloin of beef and the others bar for one had roast pork,one of our party asked and got rare beef,two medium and one well done the meats were just perfect and very tender with a good selection of hot vegetables we all cleared our plates ,the food was that tasty.
Most of us had desserts which were just delicious and l must add,there were lots of staff who were all very good and finally the manager came over to the table to apologise for the delay and did we enjoy our meals.
The pub/hotel/restaurant deserves the five star rating as it was so good even the toilets were spotless and fresh smelling.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Romford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Just spent a great weekend at the Red Lion and would definitely recommend it. It lies in a quiet village (check out the village library) close to cambridge and the Duxford Imperial war museum which is well worth a visit. The rooms are beautifully decorated and comfortable and are situated in a separate complex within the pub's garden.The food in the restaurant was excellent and the waiting and bar staff were brilliant, real service with a smile. There was a good range of beers and wines and it was really relaxing just sitting in the pub's garden in the sunshine just before dinner. I look forward to a repeat visit if I am in the area again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Towcester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

my sister and niece treated myself and my beloved to lunch, having already arranged for me to have a Tiger Moth flight at Duxford that morning.

a nice looking pub in a nice looking village, it was hard to fault. I had fresh calamari, dusted with a light curry batter -delicious - followed with a very competent burger. no puds, too full. perhaps my macciato was a bit thin, so would know next time to ask for it a bit stronger. my beloved loved her fish and no complaints from my sister and niece about their burgers. or indeed the total price, I think less than £20 ahead with drinks and a tip.

ok, so we had not very ambitious choices, but it was all very nicely presented, with charming, willing service. liked the decor, a lot of genuine treewood beams and good loos, so, all in all, a hot pick if you are around those parts.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

The Red Lion is in a sleepy, des-res village in Cambridgeshire. I went there for lunch and thought it one of the best pub lunches I've ever had. I ordered from the specials menu and had smoked haddock on a bed of leeks and purée potato served with a mouth-watering mustard sauce. The portion was very generous. My friend (who's vegetarian) had a wide selection of choices and had a tasty pasta dish. Even better was to come: dessert! I thoroughly recommend the chef's tasting platter - which comes with three puddings from the menu and is the ideal size to share. The salted caramel tart is to die for.

Lovely old fashioned interior; good service (though I will admit it was quiet when we were there - only a couple of other diners so don't know what it would be like if busy); excellent range of local beers. Overall decent value for money and I'm looking forward to a repeat visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Benfleet, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed for one night...alas it was the hottest night of the year, the rooms are nicely decorated and ample space nice to see a good choice of teas in the room, we had a small dog with us and she too was welcomed.
We ate from the bar menu in the evening and sat outside, both food & wine were good. We found all the staff friendly and helpful.
The breakfast we had in the bar because of the dog, we ordered the cook breakfast which was very good a generous portion and all fresh food and bread, we were served cheerfully & promptly.
The only thing that marred our breakfast was the cleaner wanted to hoover around us, we asked the waitress if the cleaner could return when we finished breakfast which she did.
The cleaner came past our table and glared...if looks could kill we would be a pile of ashes??
Shame, because overall we recommend others to go?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Towcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed here a couple of times while working on business. The rooms are clean and adequate, but the noise between rooms is a little too much; I could hear conversations in the next room.
What turned this from OK to never staying again was the disaster that is their breakfast service. The first stay it was slow but at least I got some pretty decent breakfast. The 2nd time I waited 20 minutes to not get a menu, be offered tea etc despite getting the waitresses eye on several occassions. Then when I had to leave as otherwise I would be late I requested not to pay for breakfast on account of the dire service I was told that wouldn't be possible. There are other hotels in the area that offer a far better service at a cheaper rate so I would only use this place as a last resort.

Room Tip: SOme rooms are interconnecting, make sure yours isn't one of them if you don't need it to be...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
AlexClarke, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Thank you for visiting us. I am sorry that you had a noisy neighbour. Rooms 7 and 8 do have an interconnecting door that we can unlock for families or carers for example. The sound proofing is inevitably a little less good for these two rooms I am afraid but only rarely a problem.
I am so sorry about your breakfast experience. We are so aware that this is almost the most important meal of the stay, not least because it is the last one remembered by guests. We are proud of our breakfast offering and like to think we go the extra mile, but if we cannot follow it through in a timely manner then this is not much help. We have followed up your experience and trust that it will not be repeated.
Kind regards
Alex
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here on a business trip, and the rural location was lovely. The room was large, clean, quiet, and restful. Morning breakfast was excellent. The courtyard area was charming, it seems like a great place to visit to get away from it all. I stayed as part of a large meeting nearby, so I can't comment on costs.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinxton
Duxford Lodge
#1 of 1 in Melbourn
The John Barleycorn
The John Barleycorn
#1 of 2 in Duxford

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!