“Poor Service, Ok beer.”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hinxton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Beer is very over-priced, compared to local pubs in the area and isn't kept to good standards,

if you go for a drive down the road, there is some excellent pubs nearer saffron walden, with excellent selection of beer's and no non-sense food. and resonable non-overpriced rates.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Alex C, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

I am sorry you found our ales disappointing. We take great pride in these with two permanent ales (our own Red & Black Ale and Woodforde's Wherry - which compete for the most popular) and then two rotating guest ales from local micro breweries such as Brandon Brewery's Rusty Bucket and Crafty Beers from Great Wilbraham. We also have a good range of Craft and European lagers on tap, which seem to be very popular such as Adnams Dry Hop lager and Pilsner Urquel.
You might get some of these cheaper at other local pubs, but not significantly, and I would like to think not in such a conducive environment. Your choice of course!
Please do try us again
Alex

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Had an overnight stop here. Lovely cosy bar and beautifully appointed restaurant. The room was really lovely comfy beds and lovely toiletries towels and linen. Top notch. The food in the restaurant was delicious. Plenty of choice. You could if preferred eat in the bar but the restaurant was so lovely. It was quiet when we stayed. The breakfasts were great too. The staff were lovely. I loved it that the rooms are named after various local ciders and beers.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 96j
Reviewed 24 February 2014

As soon as we entered the pub we were met with a warm smile and cosy log fire welcome. That was the start of a lovely afternoon, evening, night and morning for us. The staff were efficient and happy without being intrusive. The food was delicious. The rooms (we stayed in the Abbot Suite) are separate to the pub building - part of a converted or purpose built flinted outbuilding. It was simple, spacious, modern but cosy with neutral colours. Very clean with everything you need for a relaxing night's stay - large comfortable bed, fresh crisp white bed linen, fluffy towels and tea and coffee making facilities.

We would have been very happy to spend more nights there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lorna1307
Reviewed 24 February 2014

Fed up with the overpriced poor value corporate hotels I decided to Google my way off the beaten track, on my week long business trip. Really could not fault it The Red Lion was excellent in every respect, I rescheduled my calls so that I could stay another night. Thanks!

Room Tip: I imagine they are all of the same high (nearly new build) standard.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I dined at this inn with 2 of my usual luncheon companions, such is our custom to visit here on an annual basis. The interior is well appointed and comfortable. The range of newspapers to read in the bar area is thoughtful. Business was brisk, I suspect from the local science research facility, however service was swift and efficient. It is always a joy to see the real tennis and wooden squash racket which adorn the wall of the bar. We had decent seats which were private enough even in the bar area. We all had sandwiches which were jolly good however the home made crisps were soggy and frankly a sad flop. The chips were adequate though I felt the quality of the mayonnaise could do with some vetting.

On balance I would be able to recommend this as somewhere to eat and on previous years have also greatly enjoyed the restaurant menu.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The meal was nothing special and the service OK with willing youngsters waiting at table. The bill came with fixed 10 per cent service charge which tells me that they dont pay the staff very well. I hate this. Do they think we are stupid? I wont go back again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
AlexClarke, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you for coming to visit us recently. I am sorry that the meal was nothing special and the service only ok, we certainly strive to be better than that.

I am sorry too that you thought that the service charge was fixed. We take pains to stress on all our menus that our service is always discretionary and paid wholly to the staff that serve you. For large parties and special menus such as Christmas where there is a quite a bit of extra work involved for the staff then we do put a suggested 10% service charge on the bills, as we state in all the literature, but as always this remains discretionary. The discretionary element is important as it is that element that provides the additional incentive to the staff to provide the willing and friendly service that you enjoyed.

Please take time to look through our menus on our website and I trust you will find some excellent value dishes on there to your liking and realise that we are not really that expensive.
kind regards
Alex

Reviewed 25 November 2013

My family and I spend 4 day here, and I can assure that was everything almost perfect. One of the strength of this place is surely the kindness of the people working here. They help us in any issues, question or necessity we had ( travelling with a little baby isn't never easy :-) ).

The meals ( and we had each breakfast, lunch and dinner here, but one lunch ) were really wonderful, and so a good variety of beers.

Finally, I wish to thank all the staff, since we leave early in the morning and the last evening I forgot to tell them how good was our staying. Thanks, guys!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinxton
The Crown House
#1 of 3 in Saffron Walden
The John Barleycorn
The John Barleycorn
#1 of 2 in Duxford

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!