“Standards dropping”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hinxton B&B and Inns
Midlands
“Standards dropping”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Been to the Red Lion for numerous years and recommended it to many but would no longer do so as we feel the standard has dropped considerably over the past couple of years.
Ate there yesterday and so much has changed; No front of house charisma, very abbreviated menu, insufficient kitchen staff so really long wait (one hour) for the main course and only a sugary sweet "we are so sorry, I'll let chef know you've missed your train".
Just not good enough at these prices and with the supposedly high ratings.
Time for the owners to take heed, many other local hostelry's overtaking,

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MidlandsRocker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Had a great meal here over the bank holiday weekend. Vast menu, friendly staff and a lovely beer garden. I had the home made burger which was excellent and my wife had the fish and chips which again was very good. The children's menu has lots of variation too and both of ours eat everything. I would have given a 5 out of 5 but I did feel that it was a tiny bit expensive. The bill was £50 and considering we were on soft drinks I thought it was a bit too much.

I will be eating here again though as the food was spot on!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Red Lion - exceeded expectations and was a really fab place to stay. Bar and service staff really friendly (especially Ellie), food fantastic and the rooms were really modern and comfortable. Would highly recommend and I will return!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

We booked an overnight stay having read the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor and because of its proximity to the Duxford Air Museum. In essence the Red Lion is a pub with some nice rooms built in a separate single story block in the back garden which have parking close by. Leave your luggage in the car when checking in to save carrying it around. Booking in is done at the bar. All the staff were a delight, unfailingly helpful and polite. As others have said the rooms are clean, modern and comfortable. Tea and coffee making facilities were provided and the free wifi worked well. If I was being critical I would say that the room was a touch on the small side with a lack of surfaces to put things down but for one night it wasn't really an issue. The TV was also mounted on the wall about 8ft off the floor which made viewing slightly tricky! The bed was large and comfortable and we were only vaguely aware of some TV noise from the adjoining room. The menu was pretty good if not slightly carb heavy. The restaurant is in more recent extension at the back of the pub and is tastefully done with oak flooring and high timber ceiling etc.We both chose to have home made burgers which were cooked slighty rare for our taste but the meat was of high quality. Service was excellent. We got a bit wet heading back to our room in a minor monsoon so take a brolly to dinner if the weather is marginal! Breakfast was pretty much par for the course...a good choice of cooked options served at the table but with a very limited cold buffet including some tired fresh fruit.

I must admit I struggled a bit with this review. There was no doubt we had a comfortable stay and for one night it was fine. I guess that our expectations were maybe too high from reading the website and other reviews. Our bill was over £200 for dinner B&B which just felt well into hotel territory and a touch expensive for what we had in comparison to other recent stays elsewhere. Just go with the right mindset and I'm sure you won't be disappointed....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sunseeker2020
Wimborne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We booked a long weekend stay with a couple of dinners, after checking out Tripadvisor reviews for lots of places around Duxford and Saffron Walden. I'd been despairing of finding anywhere nice when a chance remark in a downbeat review for another establishment mentioned the Red Lion at Hinxton as somewhere much better. Thank you to whoever wrote that!

The accommodation, the food and the service were exactly what we'd been hoping for. The rooms are separate from the pub (so beautifully quiet), with their own car park and garden. The style is modern and very attractive, but also practical, with enough storage space and a good layout. The bed was large and very comfortable. The level of heating was just right. The well-designed bathroom had a good shower and surface space by the basin for your toiletries (seems obvious, but not every hotel bathroom does). Ours had no window, but that was fine as the lighting was good.

Breakfast was included in the price: there was a lot of choice and everything we had was good. We ate it in the restaurant.

For dinner on the first night, there weren't many people in the restaurant, but on the second night (Saturday) it was packed and I was glad we'd followed the Red Lion's advice and reserved a table, otherwise I don't think we would've got one. The food was excellent. I'll write a review in the restaurant section, but I'll just say here that the restaurant itself is very attractive and the service was really good. The staff are efficient and friendly, and enthusiastic about the food.

All in all, we were very pleased with our choice, and would recommend the Red Lion for food and/or accommodation.

Room Tip: We stayed in room #1.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

I'd rate this "good" rather than "average" or "very good" but that's not an option.

We had a lovely room, very clean and fresh and tastefully decorated with birch wood furniture and oak floors. The wardrobe had both hanging space and shelves. The kingsize bed was twin beds joined together which was fine. The mattresses weren't as comfortable as I'd hoped from the description on their website. They were a bit softer than those in Premier Inns (pre-Hypnos upgrade) but not as comfortable as beds with pillow-top mattresses eg those in Sofitels. Mine had some lumps in it which I kept finding every time I rolled over. The hotel website talks of the rooms being "finished off sumptuously". This is a bit of an exaggeration. The standard was good but not luxurious. The wall-mounted television was the smallest flat screen TV I've ever seen. The main lighting probably wouldn't have been adequate for anyone wanting to work at the desk. The bedside lighting was small table lamps rather than angle-poise which would have been better for reading in bed. On the plus side, the bathroom had a large heated towel rail and a proper detachable shower over the bath. This shower had the largest shower head I've come across in a hand-held shower and the temperature was easy to control. I'd have liked a grab rail on the wall to steady myself and it would have been useful to have a second shower gel dispenser near the shower taps so that you didn't have to keep turning around to get to the one beside the bath. We had no bath mat the first day. I was a bit surprised the window was fitted with plain glass rather than frosted. (There was a blind.) Whilst the bathroom isn't overlooked there is a grassed area at the back of the accommodation block which people could access if they had a mind too and, of course, someone must mow the grass every couple of weeks. Either the switch for the light fitting above the bathroom mirror is really well hidden or the light was faulty. We couldn't get it to work (I left a note for house-keeping). The soap dispenser above the basin must have had an air hole in it. We couldn't get it to work properly. Whilst these two things are really trivial I was surprised house-keeping hadn't noticed and rectified the problems. The rooms must be really well sound-proofed. We heard no noise at all from our neighbours and, of course, there was no traffic noise. We were woken in the morning by the doves cooing.

A footpath from the accommodation block leads to both the car park and the pub itself. You need a coat when it's raining. It's a bit too far for a quick dash.

I also felt the food didn't quite live up to expectations from the list of awards on the website. Service was variable. It was very good the first evening and rather poor the second. We had lunch the day we arrived, dinner on two nights and breakfast on two mornings. On each occasion the bread was very dry. It even made exceptionally dry toast. Meal portion sizes seem to vary. The day we had lunch I saw a plate of fish and chips go by. The fish was huge. When I ordered the same for dinner one evening my fish comprised two small pieces. It was perfectly adequate for my appetite at the time or I would have queried the portion size. My dessert on the second evening had two elements missing and I know what it should have included as my friend had the same dessert the night before. No apology was made for the missing pistachio praline and mango coulis. Breakfast was cooked to order. I had the eggs benedict the first morning. The ham was lovely but the hollandaise sauce was a bit vinegary. The second day I had the full English. The bacon and sausage were fine but I found the baked beans a bit on the hard side and the sliced mushrooms weren't very good. The fried egg looked as if it had been cooked in a mould. It was a bit rubbery.

I would be very happy to stay here again overnight but I wouldn't recommend the restaurant to anyone wanting a venue for a special occasion meal.

We chose this hotel as it is very close to Duxford air museum (4 miles). It would also be convenient for a visit to the city centre as there's a small station on the nearby A505 at Whittlesford (2.5 miles away) from where you can get a train into the city centre. For a hotel next door to the station try the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BlackAmber
Haverhill, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2014

Beer is very over-priced, compared to local pubs in the area and isn't kept to good standards,

if you go for a drive down the road, there is some excellent pubs nearer saffron walden, with excellent selection of beer's and no non-sense food. and resonable non-overpriced rates.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Alex C, Owner at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
I am sorry you found our ales disappointing. We take great pride in these with two permanent ales (our own Red & Black Ale and Woodforde's Wherry - which compete for the most popular) and then two rotating guest ales from local micro breweries such as Brandon Brewery's Rusty Bucket and Crafty Beers from Great Wilbraham. We also have a good range of Craft and European lagers on tap, which seem to be very popular such as Adnams Dry Hop lager and Pilsner Urquel.
You might get some of these cheaper at other local pubs, but not significantly, and I would like to think not in such a conducive environment. Your choice of course!
Please do try us again
Alex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinxton
Duxford Lodge
The John Barleycorn
The John Barleycorn
#1 of 2 in Duxford
Red Lion Whittlesford Bridge

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!