“Very good traditional Maltese fare”
Review of Ta' L-Ingliz

Ta' L-Ingliz
Ranked #7 of 13 Restaurants in Mgarr
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We were lucky enough to have the recommendation from a Maltese friend (and lucky enough to have wheels to get to Mgarr!), having asked them to tell us where we could eat some real 'Maltese food'. Of course, I have started to realise that the Italian and English foods which seem to feature highly on the restaurant menus are just as true a part of the Maltese diet as anything else, but great to find a place which just offered a simple selection of rabbit, snail, quail, horsemeat and seafood dishes. This was a no-frills meal, with the dining room and presentation nothing flash, but fried octopus, snails, rabbit stew, baked salmon par excellence (all served with chips - and perfectly normal to do so in Maltese cuisine), with complimentary traditional bean paté and bruschetta-type appetisers to begin and halva and peanuts in their shells post-dinner. A lovely Maltese liqueur (Bajtra) made from prickly-pear concluded proceedings. This meal was a real treat, though not sure about the huge back-lit photo on the restaurant frontage of a couple of cuddly white pet rabbits!!

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We go to ta L-Ingliz (can someone from Trip Advisor correct the name as it is written wrongly - an "I" not an "O") very frequently and this is because it is consistently good. We always have the same thing - rabbit fried in garlic. That is their speciality and I don't bother having anything else that I can have from anywhere else. My only wish is that they dump the frozen fries and substitute with REAL chips , but I guess that in today's fast world, this is just a dream :). Unfortunately most restaurants use these type of fries.

1  Thank KenAbela
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Came here for my boyfriend's birthday! I must say that this restaurant was not that i expected! Atmosphere terrible!! The food was not great but it was good. One of the waiters was arrogant and doesn't know what customer service is! It's a pity!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Reviewed 21 June 2013

Sat outside on the pavement chatting all night to locals one of the most charming villages on the Island but there are a few

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Went again last Friday...the food quality has gone down...Snails werent as good as other times, while the rabbit wasnt tender as it used to be... it was served to us in less then 5mins...so it was re heated for sure...
I have also noticed that the stew ( Stuffat) of the rabbit was the same taste as the one used for the horse meat dishes & summien... so one sauce fits all!!!! Not really traditional home cooking food... Wine list is still inexpensive but Limited....
I wouldnt return again so soon for sure....instead we will retry il-Barri again after an absent of 5 Yrs...