“Great in some aspects, but could improve”
Review of Ta' L-Ingliz

Ta' L-Ingliz
Ranked #6 of 13 Restaurants in Mgarr
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I went there last Saturday with my family - we were a table of 10. The waitress was very nice, and as soon as we sat down she brought some very nice bruschettas and crackers with bigilla - they were lovely.

I ordered a fillet as I don't eat rabbit and it was fantastic!! It was really tender and tasted great! I loved the food and those who ordered rabbit though it was delicious too. Plus the portions are very abundant! But, those who had spaghetti with rabbit as a starter didn't like it as there wasn't ANY rabbit in it - not one piece!

The rest was good though and I recommend this restaurant for a nice Maltese meal. Try to sit far from the TV though as we were placed on a table right under it and it was too loud. And we didn't like the house wine very much either - it was much warmer than room temperature and tasted like one of those very cheap wines you can buy at supermarkets.

But I will visit again for sure as the meat was great and my boyfriend really enjoyed the rabbit. They also bring some peanuts and sweets for dessert which is great, and the prices are excellent, very good value for money!!

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Went to this place on recommendation of Maltese friends.Luckily we made reservations as the place was packed which added to the atmosphere of the spotless interior. The waitress was superb in explaining what all of the Maltese dishes were and the food was delicious washed down with a good cheap local wine.
Prior to the meal free dishes of local delicacies were provided along with warm freshly made local bread. Certainly a place worth looking out for if you want to sample the real Malta.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We were lucky enough to have the recommendation from a Maltese friend (and lucky enough to have wheels to get to Mgarr!), having asked them to tell us where we could eat some real 'Maltese food'. Of course, I have started to realise that the Italian and English foods which seem to feature highly on the restaurant menus are just as true a part of the Maltese diet as anything else, but great to find a place which just offered a simple selection of rabbit, snail, quail, horsemeat and seafood dishes. This was a no-frills meal, with the dining room and presentation nothing flash, but fried octopus, snails, rabbit stew, baked salmon par excellence (all served with chips - and perfectly normal to do so in Maltese cuisine), with complimentary traditional bean paté and bruschetta-type appetisers to begin and halva and peanuts in their shells post-dinner. A lovely Maltese liqueur (Bajtra) made from prickly-pear concluded proceedings. This meal was a real treat, though not sure about the huge back-lit photo on the restaurant frontage of a couple of cuddly white pet rabbits!!

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We go to ta L-Ingliz (can someone from Trip Advisor correct the name as it is written wrongly - an "I" not an "O") very frequently and this is because it is consistently good. We always have the same thing - rabbit fried in garlic. That is their speciality and I don't bother having anything else that I can have from anywhere else. My only wish is that they dump the frozen fries and substitute with REAL chips , but I guess that in today's fast world, this is just a dream :). Unfortunately most restaurants use these type of fries.

1  Thank KenAbela
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Came here for my boyfriend's birthday! I must say that this restaurant was not that i expected! Atmosphere terrible!! The food was not great but it was good. One of the waiters was arrogant and doesn't know what customer service is! It's a pity!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!!