We booked to nights at this hotel a couple of months ago based on its location and some of the facilities it provided (indoor pool, children park, half-board option). During the waiting period we talked to some friends and got both great opinions and average ones, so we didn't know what to expect.
The location is amazing (as expected in the region); great valley views, the mountains, the river.. excellent. The hotel infrastructure is very nice and they do provide a lot of good facilities: indoor pool and spa with gymnasium (though a little small if the weather outside invites everyone in); outdoor pool in the middle of big grass area with a big children park; nice restaurant with valley/mountain view; nice rooms with balcony. The hotel is very clean and it has a fresh look around it.
This might look to be a good one to pick but then we started to encounter those this that disappointed us.
The first one is that much of a thing but the fact that they have an exactly 3PM check-in time was a bit annoying for us: we arrived at 2:15PM but had to wait until 3 to check-in - turned around, went visiting little villages around and got back at 4:30PM - not a big deal.
They checked us in, gave us the room key and that's it. When we got the room we remembered that they hadn't informed us of anything concerning meal times (half-board for us), indoor pool policies, facilities locations, etc. In the paper work on the room we found out where the places were and what times they were open for. But that was a little bit misleading. As I went to the reception to rent bathrobes for the indoor pool (only adult as they didn't have children's size) I accidentaly found out that we needed to make reservations for dinner timeslots (if we hadn't decided to visit the indoor pool we could arrive at the restaurant at a full time slot... ).
Another curiosity of this hotel is that, the bar is closed during dinner hour (7:30 PM to 10 PM). So, if you eat around 8PM you can't have a drink neither before nor after... strange.
Two things that they need to urgently correct are:
- the room's door sound protection: it looks like there's no door. No sound across rooms but huge noise if anyone passes by the door;
- the matress in our beds was awful; we kind of sank in it...
Finally, maintenance isn't the hallmark of this hotel: though it's only 6 years old, there are great areas with water infiltration on the walls of public areas, there was water driping from the ceiling of one of the public WC and the children's park has some relevant damages.
One last word for the staff: very friendly - one positve aspect of the hotel
The hotel as great potential but it seems they aren't capable of exploring it to the best. Very sorry about that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A stunning 4 star hotel in the art of nature with a fantastic viw to the Tamega River. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Agua Hotels Mondim de Basto reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Agua Hotels Mondim De Basto Portugal