“A Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sutton Cross
Newry, United Kingdom
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at The Marine Hotel last week for two nights. From the minute we arrived, we were met by helpful, polite staff. The room was spacious, very clean and had a sea view. From Cathy and Sarah on reception to Sebastian In The Restaurant, Ivan in the Bar, cleaning staff all made us welcome. The rooms, food, pool and facilities were excellent. Try the steak! The Dart is only a ten minute walk away. The drive round Howth is beautiful. We are already planning our next trip to The Marine

Room Tip: Sea view room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 17Des
GuestrelationsMarine, Guest Relations Manager at Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review of the Marine Hotel, Sutton. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your two night stay with us. I have passed your comments onto the staff that you mentioned and they are delighted with the feedback.

We do hope that you will return to stay with us again soon and we are looking forward to welcoming you!

Kind Regards

Irene Wyse

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Sligo, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Lovely airy hotel with very pleasant staff. Decent food in restaurant. Clean unsupervised swimming pool. Great location for access by DART to city centre, and within walking distance of excellent restaurants in Howth. Only Black Mark on our weekend was that one of our rooms was broken into (but nothing taken) and we would have liked the hotel to be a bit more apologetic as it did feel like quite an intrusion.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and staff. We always love to hear that our guests have enjoyed their stay with us. We are extremely disappointed to hear that there was an incident with the security of your room and that it wasnt dealt with correctly. If you would like to discuss this in more detail please contact me direct on 01-8390000 or alternatively on om@marinehotel.ie.

Kind Regards

Noida, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

We travelled by Air France to Dublin via Paris , got slightly tired, on reaching we went to the hotel and noticed that its a real beauty , we were welcomed by an Asian on reception , he was very courteous , rooms are big , very good housekeeping , very good Bar , good dining , location fantastic , good sea view , we stayed there for three days and enjoyed 100% , cost is also very economical.

Room Tip: sea facing rooms are good
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GuestrelationsMarine, Guest Relations Manager at Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your glowing review of our hotel. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed everything about your stay and hope that you will consider us on your next trip to Ireland!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kilkenny
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Unfortunately my stay did not get off to a great start. That morning while driving up, I got a phone call on the way to the hotel and was told that I was booked in from the night before and would have to as I had missed that night. I was completely thrown by this....at first I thought I may have got the date wrong but on checking my diary I knew that I had not made a mistake. I really stressed this with the lady I was speaking to and I her how many nights she thought I was booked in for and was told 5 nights...then I knew she was defiantly wrong as I was only booked in for 2 nights. I asked her to please check and give me a ring back immediately. She never rang me back and thus, I worried about the fact I might have to pay for nights that I had not booked the whole journey up. On entering the hotel I was told that the mix up was sorted. I believe she should have rung and told me this as I asked her to do! The lady on reception was extremely nice (think her name was Sarah) so I didn’t make a fuss. My room was nice, large with very comfortable bed and facing onto the sea at the back of the hotel. The cavery lunch was nice but staff very unfriendly and somewhat rude at times. Ordering of coffee takes an age as those the service. Supper that night was lovely and served by a really nice waiter. What I couldn’t understand was areas such as the large table in reception had reserved on it day and night....do they not want people to sit in reception? Why have chairs there if not?? I have been in this hotel a number of times and noted the same thing before...find this strange. Breakfast is ok..if you are vegetarian (which I am not) I say you might be stuck. I like fruit, nuts etc and there is very little if none of this. Hotel is dated but lovely and situated by the beautiful sea which leads to gorgeous walks. Overall the hotel is nice and price wise good for a Dublin hotel ...however I really feel the staff except for one or two give off an area of friendlessness...its as if they are under immense pressure or something...the vibe from them is not one of happiness. Maybe I have just stayed at the wrong times and this changes other times...as ready some of the other reviews this seems the case. I don't know?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank IndigoflowerIreland
Dear Guest,

We are very disappointed to hear that you did not thoroughly enjoy your stay at the Marine Hotel in December last. I am glad to hear that Sarah looked after you so well on your arrival to the hotel and she is delighted with your comments. We pride ourselves on the friendliness of our staff and to hear that you did not see this at all times during your stay is worrying. Guest feedback is extremely important to us and only through this can we continue to improve the service we offer to our guests.

Thank you for your positive comments on the waiter service that you received while dining at night with us and the comments about the room that you stayed in.

If you would like to discuss the issues that you had with your stay, please do not hesitate to contact myself direct at om@marinehotel.ie

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel just 1 night on the St Patrick's weekend. It's easy to reach to hotel. I wanted to have a walk through Howth which is just 10 mins by bus from the hotel. It was much cheaper than Dublin city hotels. The room was, the bed was good size and comfortable.
The only bad comment I can say is, because it was very crowded, you can hear the drunk people singing on they way to their room which woke me up a few times during the night. But, it's understandable as the reason of that much crowd was because it was St Patricks period.
For my next visit to Dublin, I will consider this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms have sea view- ask for it. :)
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent posting. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Marine Hotel over St. Patricks weekend. We do hope that you will consider us for your next visit to Dublin.

Glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed at the Marine Hotel St Patrick's weekend 14th-16 March 2014. What a Beautiful hotel we stayed in 144 and 145 and had a beautiful sea view. The staff were very helpful and friendly and the breakfast was fantastic!! The Dart station is only less than a 10 minute walk and takes you to many lovely places, Howth and Malehide are beautiful and well worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Glasgowmarymartina
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent post. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us over St. Patricks weekend. The view from the hotel truly is amazing and we are very proud of it. We look forward to welcoming back to our hotel on the bay very soon!

Nireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed here on the St Patrick's weekend. The staff are amazing. They were so helpful and obviously happy in their jobs. My 6 yr old was treated like a star and he enjoyed everything at this hotel.
We ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent and good value.
I will definitely be making a return visit and have been recommending this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: Room 132. Really spacious
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank beaky17
GuestrelationsMarine, Manager at Marine Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the amazing words, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your time here!

And yes, we do enjoy working here, wouldnt you too if you looked out at a view like we look out at every day!

Kindest regards and I look forward to welcoming you again to our Hotel on the Bay.

John Walsh
White Sands Hotel
White Sands Hotel
#2 of 2 in Portmarnock
Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel

Been to Marine Hotel? Share your experiences!