“a very enjoyable experience”

McHugh's Wine & Dine
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Raheny
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Myself and my wife visited this lovely restaurant in mid July,and it was a very pleasant experience. No complaints at all, the service was good and the food was excellent and the prices were very reasonable. We opted for the early bird menu which operates all evening up to 9 pm [monday- thursday ] and 5-7 [friday- saturday ] At 24 euros per head for a 3 course meal, it was great value for money. I will definitely returning.

There are newer reviews for McHugh's Wine & Dine

Reviewed 3 August 2014

26/07/2014

I was asked not to write this review; however, I couldn’t hold back any longer when looking at other reviews. We received a voucher as a joint birthday present; the following review is by no means a reflection on the people who gave us the gift and I apologise to them if they happen to see it.
I had left it late to book a table over the phone and because of the favourable reviews, was surprised that we got a table for our anniversary meal; a plus.
We arrived a little after 8.30pm and saw that the restaurant was indeed busy but there were a few empty tables. We were ushered to a table stuck in a corner under a low ceiling but nearby there were three vacant tables with more room; a minus.
The waitress was pleasant at that time when presenting us with a menu and took our drink orders, two glasses of wine. In our view, the menu was very limited with only 12 main meals to choose from, plus overpriced starters.
My wife chose the hake meal; I opted for the beef burger with chunky chips. What a disappointment; my wife’s meal could have been served on a side plate and regarding mine…a disaster! Ok, the meat was great but the burger was hidden in a large SWEET bun, not the usual bap; six, yes…six chunky chips were placed on top of each other like a game of Junga, and autumn had come early; leaves for a salad! They must have picked them off a tree outside; no veg, no lettuce salad with perhaps slices of tomatoes, peppers and/or onions. Never before have I been served leaves with a beef burger; ridiculous presentation. They remained tasteless! If I happened to be paying for the meal, I would have walked away from it.
Having suffered the burger, the six chunky chips and the small hake dinner, we asked for two apple deserts topped with ice-cream; one arrived on the table. As my wife embarrassingly ate her desert, I waited and waited until I approached the once pleasant waitress. She was impolite, abrupt and sped off to the main desk. The manager came to the table whereupon she apologised saying we did order two deserts but we only have to pay for one. I eventually received mine but didn’t enjoy it; the meal ruined our anniversary night. We ordered two more glasses of wine and chatted before calling for the bill. We presented the voucher at the desk telling the casher to be sure to share the difference with the staff.
I can’t understand the praises that Mchugh’s had received; maybe it was a bad night and the chef ran out salad, peas etc. but serving a beef burger with tasteless leaves and six chunky chips…come on!
I wouldn’t recommend this restaurant to anyone; maybe it’s just as well it’s off the beaten track.
P.S has management ever reacted to any of the plus and minus reviews?

5  Thank Bosspat
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My family dined again at this local restaurant last evening. Have never been disappointed. Food is always beautiful and served promptly by friendly staff. This is good food at a reasonable price, with a menu that is attractive to all ages and is ideally suited to family dining. The wine list is good, with great value in their monthly special offers.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Visited again last night and it was as good as ever. They have recently introduced an extra offer on their early bird where you can have 2 courses each and a 500ml carafe of house wine for a total of €49. We had this and it was great value.
I had the mushroom soup with truffle oil to start and my husband had the chickpea falafels. Both were beautiful and so full of flavour. For main I had the vegetarian lasagne and hubby had the fish and chips and he said it was the best fish and chips he's ever had. The portion didn't look huge on the plate but it was a really thick piece of fish and so was really filling. The batter didn't overpower it so he could still taste the beautifully cooked fresh fish. He said the chips were great too but he thought peas or mushy peas would have been better instead of the side salad. The lasagne was just right, you could taste all of the individual vegetables and cheeses and it wasn't stodgy at all. The wine was good too.

We're very lucky to have such a great local restaurant on our doorstep and we'll keep returning.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We went there on a busy Saturday night. The timing of the service was excellent. We were served the starter a few minutes after having ordered our food (I don't like having to wait too long for the starter), then we had a nice break between the starter and the main (not too long though). The main course was excellent. I had hake served with a lovely capers and pepper sauce (not the usual creamy sauce) and it was one of the best fish dishes I ever had in Ireland. The Passion fruit semifreddo was very nice too. The waitresses were all quite nice. The price was reasonable too.