“Perfect Spa weekend”
Review of Castle Dargan

Castle Dargan
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygawley
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I booked a spa weekend over the phone for my mother's birthday. It was great value to begin with, but when we booked in to our suite it was even better value. The countryside is beautiful, the walled garden suite we were in was perfect as I had my 6month old with me and it had a kitchen and plenty of space. The beds were really comfortable and we couldn't hear anything from the adjoining suites. The food in the restaurant was delicious and the spa was so relaxing. I can't remember the beautician's name, but she was really accommodating and excellent at her job. The staff in general were very helpful and the proof of this was the fact that they allowed us to bring some breakfast back to the suite when we had been up late with the teething baby. A very nice touch. There was a wedding on the day we arrived but we couldn't hear anything in our suite. Overall it was a wonderful weekend and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor walled garden suite and you will have a beautiful view of the countryside.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)

Reviewed 25 July 2012

my husband and i travelled here from county down which takes a couple of hours travelling, we arrived early and were able to check in without a problem. the hotel and surroundings are really beautiful, we didnt avail of the bar area as we wanted to try the local a the end of the road( which was great fun). breakfast in the morning was delish! only complaint i have is that they dont serve breakfast as room service to the suites so you need to be up before 10am to go to the main building but over all a really enjoyable trip.

Room Tip: not within walking distance of sligo town- taxi costs between 15 and 20 euro
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Loved this hotel.......put it on the list!
We did not want to go home. The service, food, and hotel facilities are excellent.
We felt totally relaxed on leaving after a delicious breakfast.
Food, wine, guinness all top class.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Me and my Girlfriend which are both 19, got the deal of Groupon, at the time of booking the room there was no rooms left in the hotel so the hotel upgraded us to a suite (with no extra charge!). The only problem that we had was that we did not research sligo itself and when we got there it was raining all weekend and found that most things to do in sligo were outdoors.

The suite room itself had amazing views over the golf course, the only problem with the room was that the tv signal in our room was very poor and could hardly watch and also the shower head would not stay on the stand and had to hold it to shower, i would also recommend that the hotel supplied coasters for the likes of tea and coffee as people are setting it down on the wood and starting to leave stains on the tables in the rooms, but overall I was very pleased with the hotel staff and the hotel itself.

Would definitely recommend!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2012

A few of us stayed here for a recent celebration. We were staying in the apts which were clean and a good size. Food in restaurant was really good and in general staff were excellent. Good golf course and spa onsite which kept everyone busy.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2012

County Sligo is in the North West of the Republic of Ireland on the Atlantic coast and is beautiful with some stunning beaches and beautiful walking.

Enough of setting the scene! What of the hotel? Really excellent - We had a two day deal via Groupon - and it was really good value. We had an excellent room which was quiet, clean, comfortable and had all the amenities you would expect, including an iron and ironing board. My only grouse was that there was no power shower!

The hotel is, it must be said, slightly of the beaten track being about 6 or 7 miles outside Sligo town itself. It does have its own golf course and spa (tried the spa myself, it came with the offer - really enjoyed it and was surprised how relaxed I felt afterwards - men get in touch with your feminine side and don't leave this all to the ladies!!!). The staff were very friendly and helpful and went the extra mile.

Breakfast was all one would expect, with all the products being sourced locally - the black and white pudding was to die for! Dinner in the restaurant was good value and quality. The staff were particularly helpful and even warmed my after dinner brandy for me - these little touches add up!

We also ate in the bar on one of the nights we were there, again good food, prepared well and served by friendly helpful staff. The Guiness was excellent (one should always try the local beverages - for any of our cross channel readers forget about what passes for guiness in the rest of the British isles!).

All in all we had a really good experience and would certainly stay at Castle Dargan again. Based on our experience, I would have no hesitation in recommending it.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

Myself and my husband stayed as a groupon offer, the room was average, nothing special, the bed was the most uncomfortable I have ever experienced in a hotel and consisted of 2 singles pushed together. The spa treatments we booked were running late and involved a lot of waiting around, not very relaxing.

We ate in the bar one night and whilst the food was nice the service was appauling. We waited around trying to catch staff to ask us what we wanted when we finally did they were quite dismissive, my gut instinct was to give up and go to McDonalds as this was the next closest place but we persevered! We finally got our order taken and it was served quite quickly but in the meantime 2 couples sat on either side of us, we then finished our meals and sat with our plates in front of us for over 20 minutes, meanwhile both other couples had their plates cleared even though they were served after us! We decided we would like a dessert but when the waiter finally arrived to clear our table he made no attempt to ask if we wanted anything else and we were sitting there with empty glasses too. We waited a further 15minutes to see if anyone would come back to ask about desserts and they didn't so at this stage we got bored and gave up - we had been in there 2 hours and only got a main each and 1 drink each.

On the way back to our room we complained at reception but were just given a 'sorry' and the following day at check out were given a half hearted apology from what I presume is the manager. Unfortunate way to ruin what would otherwise have been a nice break away in nice surroundings, certainly wouldn't consider going back.

Room Tip: Avoid 110 if you like your sleep - worst bed in hotel history!!
1  Thank CMOO_11
Molloy1234, Front Office Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your experiences of our Hotel. Our passion and goal is to meet or exceed the expectations of every Castle Dargan Guest and it is unfortunate when that doesn’t happen. I most deeply apologise to you about each area that failed to meet your expectations.

I was surprised to read that the comfort of the bed was poor because we do get a lot of praise about how comfortable our “Heavenly Beds Mattress” are, but I will follow up with our Accommodation Manager. I will review our service we deliver in the bar with the Food and Beverage Manager. I can see from your comments some further training may be necessary. The Spa area has wonderful relaxation rooms with views of the surrounding countryside while guests await there treatments, I will consult with the Spa Manager that this area is been offered while guests await there treatments. We would be delighted if you would give us another opportunity to visit us. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can assist you further.

Kindest Regards

Damien

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygawley
The Glasshouse
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo
8 mi away
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel

Been to Castle Dargan? Share your experiences!