“A stay that I will remember forever ! ”
Review of Castle Dargan

Castle Dargan
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygawley
londonderry
“A stay that I will remember forever ! ”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Booked a 2 night B & B and dinner package with a spa treatment as a Christmas present for my partner ! We were both thoroughly looking forward to the trip.

Upon arrival we checked in at reception however our room was not ready yet and we were kindly offered tea or coffee which we had by the fire. 30 mins later we checked to see if our room was ready, finishing touches were just being added so a kind gentleman (manager I think) offered us a drink at the bar, we thought this was a lovely touch.

Once our room was ready we were very impressed, we stayed in one of the suites. A bottle of wine was waiting for us too. Suite was so spacious, clean and warm.

We ate in the bar on our first night, food was excellent. Breakfast next morning was also very good however we had a slight wait for a member of staff to great us.

We had a spa treatment booked for 1pm. When we arrived we were a little disappointed to learn that the hydro pool was out of order. Although the treatments which we had made up for this !

That evening we were booked into the restaurant. The food was perfect ! I had soup and steak and ordered the brownie for desert, but that's not what I got ! Instead, out comes the head chef, carrying a plate, with a little box, which contained a diamond ring ! Words cannot express how happy I was! I've later found out my partner had Been in contact with the hotel prior to our arrival and had everything planned ! I cannot thank the staff, especially chrisse for their part in this wonderful surprise !

Castle Dargan now has such a special meaning to us, and we would recommend it to anyone ! We can't wait to return in the near future !

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 201travelbug201
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear 201travelbug201,
Congratulations and we are delighted we could play a small part on your wonderful night. We are very pleased you experienced an enjoyable and relaxing engagement trip with us at our 4star Resort. Our professional and friendly staff thank you for your kind words and please be assured we will pass on your comments to all our team at Castle Dargan Resort. We look forward in welcoming you back in the near future and if you need any help in preparations for your big day our Award Winning Wedding Co-ordinator Kim Monaghan would be only happy to help.
Kind Regards
Kenneth Appleby

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed here while graduating from IT Sligo after another hotel I'd booked decided to close the week of grads and it was a blessing in disguise. Castle Dargan offers so much and is nestled away from the main hustle and bustle of the city. It boasts beautiful surroundings as well as modern meets vintage decor which is done very well. The coach house is beautiful with the large open fire place and baby grand piano. The food is excellent and staff are friendly and helpful. The only thing I could fault it for was the lack of staff at times but is understandable in these economic times.

Would highly recommend ...... and will return ......

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank broshea78
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear broshea78,
Congratulations on your graduation and thank you for your kind comments about the Castle Dargan Resort. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our 170 Acres of rolling parkland in our magnificent country setting on the North West Coast of Ireland. We are so pleased you experienced the warmth of our 100 year old Coach House and please be assured we will pass on your comments to all our staff. Our team love to ensure the best service possible to all our guests and we do apologise if we were anything less than 4star. Please be assured your feedback is greatly appreciated and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Omagh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband and I felt compelled to write this review after our AMAZING wedding reception in Castle Dargan on 21/4/14. From the minute we met with Kim, the wedding co-ordinator, to discuss the possibility of having our reception in Castle Dargan to the moment we checked out and headed off on our honeymoon we were treated like royalty. All of our guests have nothing but good reports to say regarding the fabulous food and the incredible hospitality from all the staff on the day of our wedding. Everything ran smoothly and with regular contact with Kim, no request was too much. I had a lot of personal touches which I wanted to include and these were all dealt with efficiently. The next day I booked myself and my bridesmaids and my mother into the spa, which was well needed. Sophia and the rest of the girls did an amazing job leaving us feeling relaxed and refreshed. I could not stress enough how much I would recommend Castle Dargan to couples for a potential wedding reception. Everything went perfect and I would like to thank Kim, Matthew and all the staff for making our Wedding day the best day of our lives.

Room Tip: No fitness centre or swimming pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anita M
Dear Anita M,
It is a pleasure to read that your wedding reception at Castle Dargan Resort was all that you were hoping for. Our Award Winning Wedding Co-ordinator Kim Monaghan is so happy to hear your feedback and thanks for you for choosing Castle Dargan Resort for your special day. Please be assured our whole Castle Dargan team will be informed of your kind words and from all of the team we wish you congratulations & look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Have a beautiful honeymoon and thank you for taking the time to write up this review, it is very much appreciated.
Kind Regards
donegal
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

I and two friends went here holy Thursday. The reason being was to check it oyt for wedding venue me and my partner whos from sligo had dinner in it previously . We had a bed and breakfast and a spa deal package. I tried to book the spa deal a few days in advance but I cudnt get answer from the spa I left a message on there voicemail but didnt reply till the next day and by then there was no suitable time. Our package also included champagne on arrival I noticed one glass of champagne on the reception desk but we were a party of 3 . No mention was made to bring more and the one sitting there looked so flat none of us fancied it..we had a fab time then in our conjoining twin rooms sipping away at champagne that my sister had ordered to the room as a gidt. We then went for dinner and I need to mention I had the steak previously with my partner and had to return it due to overcooked and again on this visit the same thing. A med- rare was so over cooked...this was the reason a wanted to return to see if the food was good second time as when your paying big money for wedding already the food must be on par. The hotel is in suberb condition throughout and the ballroom and area for civil cermony is just first class.we as a couple who petitionally about to spend thousands on a wedding are with holding to book yet..maybe third visit lucky. If we return

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank marymeencha
CDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear marymeencha,
Thank for you for your review of your stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your lovely comments regarding our facilities. We are saddened you didn't receive a glass of bubbly on arrival as this is offered to all our guests on arrival. We do apologise you could not get a spa appointment time that suited but due to the extreme popular demand for our spa, we do advise to book in advance to avoid disappointment. As per your telephone conversation with our Wedding Co-ordinator, we are very sorry your steak was not cooked to your liking and thank you for informing the waiter at the time and allowing our chef to cook another, which I believe you were very happy with. We do take our guest feedback very seriously and strive to ensure the best service possible to all our guests. We are disappointed you didn't experience our Castle Dargan 4 star luxury on this occasion but we do hope to welcome you back in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is my third stay in Castle Dargan and i felt it right to share my experience. My friend and I with our wives booked into two deluxe double rooms on a bed and breakfast deal with golf and planned to eat dinner from the bar menu. We were told there was an offer on in restaurant which we felt was a good deal. On arrival at our table we received complimentary hors d'ouvres from the chef which tasted lovely. This set us up for a beautiful meal with wine and set the scene for a very enjoyable night. On retreating to the big hall we sat in front of the fire with a couple of guests from the hotel and had a great night. There was no music on the night but the art of conversation took it's rightful place. We were to play golf on the following morning but the course was very wet. We were then offered a complimentary round on our next visit ( which will happen very soon). As on previous visits I found the hotel very clean and staff friendly and helpful. I would like to mention Chrissie at reception who couldnt have been more helpful.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear AmItc,
Céad Míle Fáilte & thank you for your kind words regarding our 4star Castle Dargan Resort. I’m delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with our genuinely friendly & helpful staff and our housekeeping Team are appreciate your comments. Please be assured that our talented team of chef’s acknowledge your positive feedback as our kitchen staff and restaurant Team prides themselves on our Hall Door Restaurant. Our Darren Clarke designed golf course is very special to us and it is a shame the weather kept you’s off the greens. Thank you again for your review & we hope to welcome you back to Castle Dargan in the future.
Limavady, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Just back from a two day midweek break.The staff were very friendly and service was excellent. My only let down was I found the food a little disappointing., but overall a very enjoyable experience and great value for money. The golf course is relatively young but is in great condition.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear JamesDianne,
Your feedback is most welcome regarding your stay with us at Castle Dargan Resort. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us including our popular friendly staff. The views of our Darren Clarke designed golf course are very scenic and we do appreciate your honest opinion of the course We would love to see you again in the future when our team will ensure you experience the same four star service once again.
Letterkenny, Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Myself, my mum, my 6 year old and 9 year old had a wonderful 2 night stay at Castle Dargan last week. The weather of course is always a help in these situations and it didn't let us down. The area / gardens was beautiful and the Golf course surrounding the hotel would make you want to take up the sport just so you could spend time out there. We had a 2 bedroom apartment and when we walked in everyone went Wow, it was so nice, well appointed and clean, home away from home. The staff in the resort could not be nicer, they seemed to all be a very happy and helpful bunch. In fact at one point we witnessed the manager dancing through the foyer, how happy is that?!!? :) We did not eat in the restaurant but we did eat bar food on the 2 nights, everything we had was delicious and also thoroughly enjoyed an afternoon tea on one of the days. Breakfast was very nice, great selection and went down a treat. We also had a spa treatment each which was lovely, again the spa staff very nice and friendly and the spa itself a very nice relaxing space. Unfortunately we did not have the opportunity to spend more time here. Which leads me to my only slightly negative and that is the kids club. We had assumed it being Easter week that there would have been a kids club but it was not to be as there was not enough kids interested in doing it, this meant we changed our plans regarding spending a bit more time in the spa. Anyway, it was not the end of the world by any means, the weather was fab and there was a lovely playground outside that kept the kids amused for a long time and then we actually found a kids activity centre in Collooney, 5 mins drive from the hotel, it was called FunnyBones and it was brilliant they spent 2 hours here one of the days and really enjoyed it. What I would say is it was a fairly expensive couple of hours spent as the kids wanted to do all the activities, so perhaps an idea might be for the hotel to arrange a discount for guests with FunnyBones, particularly if there are families coming along expecting kids club and it doesn't happen. Just an idea!! As I said we had a lovely stay and I am really hoping to make it back again soon. Well done to all the team at Castle Dargan.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Edel C,
Thank you very much for your review and for your kind comments about Castle Dargan Resort. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us in our beautiful Walled Garden Apartments, our accommodation team is very pleased you experienced our high quality rooms. Our chef sends on his appreciation along with our F&B Manager who will be letting all the team now of your wonderful comments. We do hope your kids did get a chance to use our new sports lounge with all its wonderful board games and Wii games. Though we do apologise for the kids club not going ahead but unfortunately it is a demand driven service. We are thankful for all suggestions and as a result of other comments we do run a discount charge with with FunnyBones and we are sorry you weren't able to avail of it. Please be assured I will inform all our professional & friendly staff of your lovely comment. We love to ensure the best service possible to all our guests so your feedback is greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kenneth Appleby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygawley
The Glasshouse
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel

Been to Castle Dargan? Share your experiences!