“Golfers Heaven but still caters for all:-)”
Review of Castle Dargan

Castle Dargan
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygawley
Ireland
“Golfers Heaven but still caters for all:-)”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

wow! Just home from a beautiful 2night stay and what a break! We stayed in "Sally Gardens" (suite in Dargan House).The house is set in the hotel grounds overlooking the 8th green and 9th Tee. Stunning room with superb ensuite facilities. We had a very warm welcome at hotel reception and the bar overlooking the course,with seperate games room or quiet coach house lounge...take your pick. There are rooms in the main hotel and self catering apartments just set to the side.
We ate in both bar and restaurant. Bar food was great but the restaurant food was outstanding. Custome service is obviously a priority throughout the hotel, with very friendly staff.
GOLF...fantastic! Congrats to the greenkeeping staff on such a beautifully presented and maintained. course.The Pro shop is great and resident Pro Xavier was very welcoming and helpful.I am a beginner and loved the course although challenging.:-)
We will definately be back!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dargan house was amazing and ideal for couples.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Crystal_clearIreland,
Your feedback on the Castle Dargan Resort is very appreciated by our team and we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be assured we will pass on your positive comments about the Sally Gardens Suite to our Accommodation Manager Chrissie and I will notify our Head Chef Melville Cook about the food you received here at both the Middleton Bar and the award winning Hall-Door Restaurant. Our green keeping Mark Millar will be delighted of how well you thought of the Darren Clarke designed golf course. Our Pro Golfer Xavier has informed me that the course is playing a lot easier the 2nd time round as the players get to know the lines of the tees better . We would love to see you again in the future when our team will ensure you experience our four star service once again.

Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The hotel or let's call it castle is not really a castle. When we arrived there was a problem to check in,and one of the receptionists was very ruder to us the whole time. I would definitely not recommend this place. We ordered a room service- the food was awful and not fresh. Then in the morning we went to get breakfast and we had to wait to be seated for 20min and to get served for another 20 min. We had a problem with our check out as we got charged instead of 90 euro 200 euro with 2x room services charges, and also something that we didn't order.. They just added more stuff to our bill. It was a mess. the receptionist was very rude and didn't even apologise for all of this.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank hotel027
Dear hotel027,

Your review is appreciated and I am very sorry that our normal 4* standards did not reach you on this occasion. Our Front Office Manager, Chrissie would like you to contact her on – 071 9118080 as she would like to rectify the issues that you encountered at reception as our guest experience is of utmost importance to us here at Castle Dargan and we are saddened that your experience was not of an appropriate standard. We are truly sorry that you had to wait for your breakfast and please be assured that I have notified the Food & Beverage Manager and this issue is currently under review. We do apologize over the confusion of the Castle Dargan name but the hotel is named after a Castle ruins that is located on the hotel grounds above the 18th Hole in the Darren Clarke designed golf course. This Castle was named Castle Dargan as is the house that is situated beside the main entrance to reception. If you would like to read the history of Castle Dargan 4 Star Resort please visit our website - http://www.castledargan.com/about_us

We do apologise for the problems you encountered with your stay and please be assured that this is not the norm at Castle Dargan Resort. I look forward speaking with you in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Firstly I would like to thank Kim and all of the staff at Castle Dargan that made our wedding day so special! They went the extra mile with everything and could not do enough for us before, during and after the wedding. The attention to detail was amazing and there was not anything that was forgotten. With us living in London, I sent numerous emails, but nothing was a problem. We got married in May 2014 and the wedding day was so relaxed and they took all of the stress out of the day. The guests and ourselves thought the the staff were so polite and helpful and the food was excellent, you would not go hungry at a wedding here! Castle Dargan is beautiful and it was picture perfect for the wedding photos! I would highly recommend having a wedding here as you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hol2000_10
Dear Hol2000_10,
It was our pleasure to be part of your BIG day and we are very pleased we could help you in making a truly memorable day for you. Our Award Winning Wedding Co-ordinator Kim sends on her appreciation & thanks for your kind words. Our Head Chef Melville Cook is very pleased that you and your guests thoroughly enjoyed the food and that our staff were of utmost help to you on your wedding day. Please be assured all our team will hear of your positive review and thank you again for choosing Castle Dargan Resort for your Wedding. We do hope you will return soon and the Castle Dargan team look forward to welcoming you back.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Just back from a very pleasant 2 day break at Castle Dargan. Upon arrival the receptionist was very helpful and informative. We checked into our room, which was a nice size, I would not say overly luxurious on first impression, but it was perfectly adequate. It would have been nice to have had a separate shower and bath and the shower pressure wasn't hectic but it wasn't a major issue. We then headed to the bar for a drink. The bar is in a lovely location, looking out over the golf course and the mountain, but something about it was a bit souless. It was Sunday late afternoon and there was a terrible smell of cavery. There are tellies blaring everywhere and it lacks any sort of warmth. We ate in the bar that evening and it was very disappointing. I had Chicken Curry that you would get in any bog standard cavery in the land. The boyfriend had a burger which was a bit better. But the chips were horrible frozen ones, its not hard to make homemade chips and they are so much nicer. We shared a brownie, which was homemade and much better. We headed off to bed early and the bar was deserted. The bed was super comfy with lovely quality linen and we had a great sleep. I went down to breakfast expecting a tired buffet, given the quality of the night before. Wow was I in for a surprise. It was one of the nicest breakfasts I ever had. We sat outside on the terrace in the warm sunshine over looking the golf course. The fruit was so fresh and they have had the most delicious raspberries. I had a freshly cooked fry and it was really lovely. One note on the breakfast was that they might start to do pancakes, french toast etc might give an extra choice, particularly those that are staying more than one night. We went off exploring Sligo for the morning and then headed back for a dry float, which was part of our package. It is what I imagine heaven is like It was dreamy. The spa area is lovely and there is the most fabulous jacuzzi that has individual places so you can set the jets the way you like them. That evening we ate in the restaurant and the food was really lovely. I can't understand how the bar food can be so bad when the rest of the food is so lovely. The next morning we both had a facial and a massage, which were really good. Overall I would recommend the hotel, but stay away from the bar and the many blazing tellys!

Room Tip: Don't eat in the bar and maybe push the boat out and stay in the old house, looks lovely
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 75JaneC
Dear 75JaneC,
Thank you very much for your review and we are pleased that you enjoyed our 170 acres of rolling parkland in our magnificent country setting on the North West Coast of Ireland.
We are pleased that you enjoyed the views of our Darren Clarke Deigned golf course as the view from the Middleton Bar is what many guests particularly love here at Castle Dargan 4 Star Hotel. Our Food & Beverage Manager, Matthew is very concerned in your issues of the overall ambience of our Middleton Bar area and that you felt it was soulless. Please call Matthew to discuss this matter further – 071 9118080. We do have a Sunday Carvery on in our Restaurant every Sunday with locally sourced meat so perhaps this is where you got the carvery aroma but usually guests comment on how delicious the meat and vegetables smell so I am truly sorry that you didn’t enjoy your visit to the Middleton Bar because of this. The volume of the TV’s in the Middleton Bar can be turned down by any of the staff members so pleased be ensured that this issue can be rectified without difficulty and please be guaranteed that this issue will not reoccur again.
Our Head Chef Melville Cook is very disappointed that you did not enjoy your food from the Middleton Bar as it has been recently updated and food is one of the main aspects that Castle Dargan 4 Star Resort prides itself on. Melville has informed me that Castle Dargan does usually have homemade chips but on that particular day they had become short so please be assured that this isn’t the norm and I do apologise that you were not happy with your chips. I am pleased to hear that your boyfriend enjoyed his burger and that your brownie was delicious. We are so pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your breakfast and that you got to sit out on the terrace due to the lovely weather. I have also notified the Head Chef Melville Cook about your thoughts on adding more aspects to the breakfast menu and he has taken your ideas into consideration.
We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your icon Spa treatment, particularly our Icon Spa Manager Sophia as she really appreciates feedback on their treatments.
We are very sorry to hear of the issues with your stay and please be assured you feedback has been taken on board but we are glad that you did also enjoy your stay with us here at Castle Dargan 4 Star Resort. We hope in the future you will give us an opportunity to show you how seriously your comments have been received. Thank you again for your review.
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Finishing up on our 2 night stay as I write this, iv stayed in plenty of hotels some good some poor but I have to stay the staff in castle dargan are the most genuine helpfull staff iv encountered in a long time , from the house keeper who kept asking us about our baby to even the guy in the golf shop who lend me clubs free of charge, hotel is gorgeous, food was good room very spacious but the service is key for me and you get it in abundance here

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ballinode1980,
Good afternoon from the lovely Yeats County. Thank you for your review of your stay with us at the Castle Dargan Resort. I will pass on your positive comments regarding your stay to all relevant departments including our Pro Golfer Xavier Medes and Head Chef Melville Cook. We are truly delighted that our professional and friendly staff were of the utmost help to you and made your stay so good. Your feedback is very much appreciated in our industry and we are grateful you took the time to do so. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future when our team will ensure you experience the same four star service.
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The day before my wedding was spent in the icon spa at castle dargan. The three girls Sophia, Margaret and Ashling couldn't do more, they started the whole experience of to a fantastic start.
The food at the bar was tip top. Cooked to perfection.
The wedding day itself was amazing. Make up was done by Margaret in icon spa. She is the best make up artist. (I get my make up done a lot) but have never looked better. And every bride wants to look her best. My guests were so amazed. They could believe the finished product. Good enough to put on the cat walk.
On to the reception. My mother had passed away and we had the Maltese flag. But it wasn't possible to put up on the flag pole but knowing how much it meant to me they made sure it had pride of place and it turned out to be one of the centre pieces for the photography.
The champagne reception was fantastic and they certainly gave us more than we could ever of expected.
The wedding breakfast was out of this world. Fantastic views. Fantastic silver service. And a added surprise that had everyone on their feet clapping (I can't say what it is as future brides and groom. It will spoil the surprise) but it was tremendous.
The wedding co ordination Kim was brilliant. My wedding went without a hitch
All my guest thought the setting was brilliant the service was fantastic. Would not have got that in England. Castle dargan has out Ireland on the map for all my guests and I won't be surprised that they all return. What can I say but simply the best.
Then after all this I got a free treatment as the bride from icon spa. Facial. Highly recommend.
Well done Margaret, Sophia and Ashling you all have lived up to the expectations that a top hotel should have.

Room Tip: You don't need to worry when booking a room at this hotel as they are all fabulous Just need...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca12014
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Rebecca12014,
It is a pleasure to read that your wedding reception at Castle Dargan Resort was all that you were hoping for. Our Award Winning Wedding Co-ordinator Kim Monaghan is very happy to hear your feedback and thanks for you for choosing Castle Dargan Resort for your special day. Our Icon Spa ladies Margaret, Sophia and Aishling are also delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your day at the Spa and your treatment after the wedding. Margaret is thrilled that you loved your make-up for the wedding as it is a very important part of the bride’s preparation for her wedding day.
We are delighted that you and your guests enjoyed the champagne reception as it is important to us here at Castle Dargan to have the utmost welcome for our guests. Our 170 acre woodland resort has the most beautiful views and we are thrilled you and your guests enjoyed the views throughout your stay. Our Head Chef, Melville Cook is pleased to hear that you liked the bar menu as it has recently been updated and your feedback is very important to us as we continually strive to improve our guest’s experience with us here at Castle Dargan.
Please be assured our whole Castle Dargan team will be informed of your kind words and from all of the team we wish you congratulations & look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you for taking the time to write up this review, it is very much appreciated.
Kind Regards
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on the sunday and Monday night and played 2 rounds of golf.. The course was lovely and the Greens where perfection my only gripe would be that they cut the rough, but left the cut grass laying meaning that if your ball rolled in below it was impossible to find. The room was basic enough and we got a disabled shower and toilet with a wash hand basin the size of a soup bowl... I would definitely play the course again but probably stay somewhere else.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
CastleDargan, Guest Relations Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Alex T,
Thank you for your review of the Castle Dargan 4star Resort. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Darren Clarke designed golf course. Our green keeper Mark Millar has informed me that on that day the rough had been cut back to thin the grass out in order to make it easier to locate the golf balls but unfortunately it had not been collected at that stage. We do apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused but can ensure on your next visit this issue will not reoccur. We do apologise that you were not satisfied with the room in which you stayed in here but I have notified the General Manager and this issue is under review. We would love to welcome you back in the future and again thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.
Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygawley
The Glasshouse
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo
Strandhill Lodge and Suites Hotel

Been to Castle Dargan? Share your experiences!