“The adventurous will be rewarded!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Misibis Bay Resort

Misibis Bay Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cagraray Island
Manila, Philippines
“The adventurous will be rewarded!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Only an hour flight from Manila, and another hour drive from Legazpi City to the resort. The breathtaking Mt Mayon is the perfect backdrop to this adventure vacation. Since it was my friend's first time in Legazpi, we decided to take a quick city tour before heading to the resort. Highlights of the tour were Cagsawa Ruins, Lignon Hill and Embarcadero. We learned that if booked ahead, we could have taken a high-speed boat to the resort in 20 minutes. But we're glad to have taken the scenic route - the ride was comfortable and our driver stopped at Five Views, a perfect viewing spot to see Mt Mayon and four other important mountains. Upon reaching the resort, we were welcomed with an ice cold towel and hand-woven lei, then quickly whisked to the reception area to check-in. We were escorted to our villas in a golfcart, accompanied by Rafa, their cordial operations manager. He explained the features of our adjacent villas - the Junior Suite Deluxe are specious and gorgeous!

We noticed two kinds of guests in the resort: the laid back, who spend most of their time lounging by the pool or beach sipping their frozen margaritas, and the adventure-seekers, who are willing to try all the activities available. Although we did a little bit of the former, we decided to be mostly the latter. In the morning, we headed to the Ecopark, which is about a five minute drive from the resort - it houses the impressive amphitheater and a beautiful chapel on a hill. We went to the high ropes section where wall climbing and zip lining were available. I braved the 150 meter zip line which was exhilarating! My friend and I then raced down a long winding slope in luges.

Back at the resort, we were greeted by Rafa and Lisa, their lovely resident manager, who set up our water sports activities. They introduced us to Jeff, the recreations supervisor, who arranged jet skis for us. We had so much fun! The non-motorized activities were also fun: kayaking and stand-up paddle board. We would have tried the hoby cat but there was no wind that morning.

After lunch, we headed to the Marina for snorkeling. They have healthy coral formation, and teeming fish life. I missed the resident giant groupers (which showed up in the morning), but saw the giant clams. I am an avid diver and I think the dive sites here are perfect and safe for introductory dives.

Late in the afternoon, we decided to go to the Hilltop by ATV. It was a bit challenging (I got stuck once going uphill), but reaching the top was rewarding! The view of the islands and Mt Mayon is unparalleled! I highly suggest this activity, if willing to rough it.

Another activity not to be missed is the relaxing sunset cruise. Again, another breathtaking view of Mt Mayon against the pink hues of the sunset. The crew brought some snacks while I brought a bottle of wine to share. It was a perfect cap to this perfect vacation!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the villas - they are worth it!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Misibis, Manager at Misibis Bay Resort, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear LiveEatDive,

I wish to thank you for sharing your recent experience with us at Misibis Bay.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I’m delighted to learn that you found everything that you needed for an unforgettable stay experience.

I’m happy to know that during your stay at Misibis Bay, you were able to explore many of the activities we have to offer. The adventurous will definitely be rewarded, I more than agree with the title of your review.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback. I hope your travels will take you back to Misibis Bay.

Please email me directly so I can personally ensure that you are provided with an even memorable experience on your next visit.

lzakharka@misibisbay.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Mandaluyong City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

After the gruesome travel we reached Misibis bay in 15hrs from Manila, with several stopovers.

We keep on telling ourselves 'this must be well worth it!'

Well it was indeed worth it that we were able to see the beauty of nature thru the bridge connecting of main island to Misibis as it was a breathtaking indeed!

Upon reaching the hotel after we were greeted with nice welcome drinks, warm hand towel and wrong booking. Yes wrong booking, I was prepping myself to go into debate or battle ;D We were booked thru agoda, and they probably had some miscommunication as I booked for 3 adults and 2 kids, yet they can only see 2 adults in their computer. Oh well good thing we were able to fix things by resending them the email booking that agoda sent me and confirmation letter from misibis manila office. It was a bit of a hassle but I just don't want to ruin my vacation mode mood.

We were sent to our rooms after settling at reception, we rode a golf cart to garden view rooms. It's nice 'coz we were nestled in just one building occupying 5 rooms. Our room has nice view of the pool. But the room itself is quite disappointing, microtel has better room than this :( considering its price and lengthy travel, it was really disappointing. They probably have better rooms in those suites (it should)

Another disappointing is the food. It was freakingly expensive with just average to poor quality, taste and service size. My mother-in-law craved for Jollibee on our way home. We don't have any choice as the next civilized establishments are a thousand miles from the resort (hypothetically) if we decide to go out and eat we would be probably end hungry dead on the road not to mention the gasoline we would consume. One tip: Bring lots of food esp for the kids. If you could even bring easy to cook food and induction cooker, the better!

What I love in this resort is their pool, they have lots! you can go pool hopping. They have nice recreation area, our fave is the kids room or play area since I have a baby with me. Another fave of ours is the golf cart service, it's reasonably on time when we call, i'm not sure if it is the same if they are fully booked. They have nice service and everyone is polite, but the resto service is quite slow.

It is a nice resort, but we think Bellarocca is better. It would've been more enjoyable if it isn't too far, we think the travel is definitely not worth it, considering there are other better resort that is not that far and cheaper. It's a nice experience but won't be going back as paying customer.

Room Tip: BYOF - bring your own food!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Misibis, Manager at Misibis Bay Resort, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Emgees,

I appreciate hearing from you and wish to thank you for sharing your experience with us.

I am delighted to learn that you and your family had an enjoyable time pool hopping as well as in the kid’s playroom and recreational area. I am also happy to hear that you were pleased with the golf cart service we provided you with.

I have personally taken note of your comments regarding the inaccuracy of your booking and wish to share with you that your concern has already been addressed with our Front Office supervisor for review.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding the menu selection. I am glad to inform you that we are currently in the process of refining our buffet choices and developing a new restaurant concept and an exciting new menu for both the pool area and beachfront.

For future visits, given that you are traveling with children I would highly suggest the very short and enjoyable one-hour plane ride from Manila to Legaspi, followed by a maximum 1 hour van ride or 30 minute speed boat ride, which we will be more than happy to arrange for you.

It is my goal to restore your confidence in Misibis Bay by addressing these concerns.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Please email me directly so I can personally ensure that you are provided with an excellent overall stay experience on your next visit.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

It was an unplanned trip, We (my 2 college friends & I) were having dinner and just blurt it out to have a trip together so when I get home I immediately looked for a promo flight and luckily I got one from Cebu PAC.

The airport transfer was there, the shuttle was clean and driver was accommodating in fact he even gave us chewy cookies made from Misibis and bottled water. I am not a fan of provincial scenery but I may say that it was relaxing to watch the greeneries, blue water and the perfect cone shaped of Mayon Volcano, by the way airport transfer is 750/pax

There was a welcome dance, Fish leaf necklace & welcome drink when we arrived. The beach & the infinity pool were the first I looked for and I got excited. But since it was past lunch time when we got there we decided to take our late lunch first before exploring.

Food was great, 1,600/pax for lunch or dinner buffet and 750/pax for breakfast buffet. There were a lot to choose from and they're all taste good.

We occupied the Garden Villa and we have our own pool to be shared with the occupants (4-5 villas I guess) luckily February was not that peak so the pool was practically just for us. Every villa has their own pool so you won't need to walk that far or to swim with crowd if you wish to take a dip.

Beach & Infinity pool is situated near their Resto Bar. There's a Spa, Billiard, Water activities, ATV & Casino to fill your day.

I am not a beach person coz I don't like staying under the sun for long and I hate perspiring BUT this time I had FUN. Hobbie cat, Sail, Stand Up paddle, Kayak Yey! Felt like I was a kid again sigh that I wasn't able to try the ATV to watch the sunrise or sunset also the snorkeling due to schedule.

We had dinner by the beach front (cheers! Mojito taste good 380/glass) and Spa afterwards, my friends had their nails done since there were two manicurists available only that time so I decided to have a steam bath first before having a massage and God it was sooo good that I felt asleep by the way I am not a fan of body massage too but I did enjoyed it.

Overall, t'was a good experience but very pricey if you compared it to other Fab resorts/ beaches. The villa costs 28-65K/ night depends on day/season.Recreational activities 1,500/pax for non-motorized, Mani/Pedi 750each, Body massage 2,800. Well you must bring your credit card for these kind of trip.

Chef was very nice coz he made us a homemade on the spot ice cream for our Halo-halo and a take home freshly baked bread awwww soooo love it.

Recommend for a visit? Definitely yes!!!

• Stayed February 2014
Misibis, Manager at Misibis Bay Resort, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Gelicioud,

I’m delighted to learn that you and your friends selected Misibis Bay for your spontaneous getaway. I’m also happy to hear that you enjoyed the watersport activities and spa services we have to offer.

But most of all, I would like to thank you for your generous and kind appraisal of our resort facilities and buffet selection as well as for recognizing the excellent service our Misibis Bay team provided you with.

With regards to the prices you've mentioned, I wish to share with you that there has been some adjustments since your last visit in February. For further details kindly contact our reservations team, they will be more than happy to assist you. reservations@misibisbay.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you once again in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I was recently at Misibis Bay and I enjoyed every minute of my overnight stay. After checking in, I went to have dinner with a friend on the beachfront where they set-up their dinner buffet. The food was great! I am usually disappointed whenever I eat at beach side resorts because, for some reason, they don't usually serve seafood caught in the ocean right before them. This wasn't the case at Misibis Bay. They served very good and very fresh kinilaw na tanigue garnished with the usual spices and some olives for a Mediterranean touch. They also had fresh fish on the grill such as grouper and tuna. I had these with a nice seafood paella. It was a seafood lover's dream come true! To top it all up, the setting was beautiful. The light of the full moon lit up the tips of the small waves on the serene waters. The scene was very beautiful. Unfortunately, I didn't have a good camera with me and my mobile phone couldn't capture it properly.

After dinner, I went straight to the villa where I was staying. It was well appointed as would be expected from a luxury resort. What really set the experience apart was the way the villas were designed. They had floor to ceiling glass panels that let you have an unimpeded view of the beachfront. You can literally wake up to the sunrise if you decide to not close the curtains when you sleep. Check out the attached pictures I took from my bedroom.

They experience made me want to go back to Misibis but with my extended family on the next trip. They have so many indoor and outdoor recreational facilities that I'm sure our kids would love.

Congratulations to the Management and Staff of Misibis Bay for a job well done.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SeryePH
Misibis, Manager at Misibis Bay Resort, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear MyVacation888,

Thank you for spending your vacation at Misibis Bay!

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and I am glad to learn that you had an enjoyable time and found everything that you needed for a memorable stay experience.

I'm delighted to learn that you enjoyed the fresh grilled seafood selection as well as the scenery during our buffet dinner at the beachfront. It is indeed beautiful when the ocean lights up during full moon nights.

I would also like to thank you also for your generous and kind appraisal of our villas.

Once again, I am very glad to learn that your stay has been nothing but positive. On your next travel plans, please keep us in mind.

Kindly email me directly so we can ensure to keep providing you the same wonderful experience on your future visits with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Mandaluyong, Philippines
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights (May16-18) with friends at their Junior Suite villa. Since the resort is a member of SLH, we thought that our vacation would be really luxurious, but it's not!! Here's why -
- Upon arrival in the airport, our driver informed us that the tour guide is already on his/her way to meet us, but after 5mins of waiting, nobody arrived. The driver got a call, he then informed us that the tour guide couldn't make it and that he will be our tour guide and our driver all at the same time. Our first stop was Lignon Hill, but we weren't able to enter because apparently,it was closed, the driver didn't know why. Nobody from Misibis knew why!

- Food is great but service sucks! We waited for 2 hours for our lunch, then another 2 hours for our dinner. Plus their table napkins, they're gross! We asked for a cleaner napkin, after 45 mins, the staff came back and gave us paper napkins instead. When we asked for a menu, the staff just handed out one to me and ignored my 3 companions.

- All the staff are not properly trained. Nobody greeted us. When we were in our villa, I requested for face towels, it took almost 1 hour to arrive.

And the worst is, Misibis contracted a UV Express van to take us back to the airport. They are the only SLH that uses UV Express for their guests.

The only thing we enjoyed there was the recreational activity, and the staff there. They were very helpful. If not for the activities, we would have been forced to swim in their dirty pool.

We will never go back to Misibis. Really not worth it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank rowena r
Misibis, Manager at Misibis Bay Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Rowena R,

I wish to extend my sincerest thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Misibis Bay.

I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed the activities we had offer and would like to thank you for recognizing the helpfulness of our colleagues in Recreations; I will make sure they will receive the recognition they deserve.

However, I am disappointed to find out that you were not able to receive the quality service our Misibis Bay colleagues usually provide. There might have been a lapse in our service and I have shared your concerns with the respective department heads so these incidents will not happen again.

Hopefully you will consider staying with us once again so we can provide you with a new perception of Misibis Bay.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Urdaneta City, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

my experience here was great! all the staff were nice. the view is magnificent! the highlight for my 12 year old son who happen to have his birthday here was the jetski. as for me it was the scuba diving! but as for reviews theres always a downside sad to say. the driver of the van (UV Express)that the hotel got for us that we rode back to the airport was driving like a maniac. he was overtaking at blind spots, even when he can see that theres an upcoming vehicle, he would still go for it! our flight was 2:30pm so we have to leave at 11:30am from the hotel. he didnt even mention that there was no store or canteen or restaurant at the airport. so we had to endure the hunger until we rode the plane to buy food. maybe the management of the hotel can tell theyre clients to have an early lunch first or snack before going straight to the airport. or maybe have a a short stopover at fastfoods along the way for take-outs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Misibis, Manager at Misibis Bay Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear David T,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and share your experience with us.

I am very glad to hear that your son had a memorable birthday at Misibis bay. Happy 12th Birthday once again from our entire team!

I am also happy to learn that our watersport activities, jetskiing and scuba diving in particular, contributed to your unforgettable experience with us. For your next visit, we highly suggest you to try our ATV Lava Tour or Sunset cruise.

I have taken note of your comments regarding your transfer from our Resort to Legazpi and I wish to share with you that your concern has already been addressed with our Concierge Supervisor for action.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Booked an overnight stay here via a coupon site for a garden view room, the most basic type of room they have.
Our first impression with dealing with the hotel was pretty bad. We were trying to book a room during a Philippine holiday and no one was answering the phone in the Manila office. I decided to call the office directly in Albay and was informed that I could not book a room directly through them, which is kind of ridiculous. After several more tries, we were finally able to get through to the Manila office and we were told that we could not book via phone, only through email. We waited for several hours for the email to finally come through. When we finally got the email, it was stated there that I had to pay for the additional stuff that we wanted like breakfast and transfers up front. If we didn't we'd lose our reservation. What was that about? This is the stuff that you should be able to settle directly with the hotel. We bought a coupon and that should mean that the room is already paid for. It was all sorts of ridiculous. Honestly, I don't understand why we had to jump through so many hoops just to get a reservation. If you don't want people to book using a coupon, then don't offer it out on a coupon site. For a luxury hotel, this isn't the first impression you want to make to any customer.

Thoughts on the resort itself:
I'm going to list down the cons first because there are just too many. I'm going to be picky here because let's face it, for a resort that's included in Conde Nast, these things shouldn't be here.
Upon reaching the resort itself, you come in via a sort of village, which seems like it's seen better times. Seems like property that should have been a sort of village but never got enough funding (which I think might be the case). They need to spruce this up or find some way to hide it because it just ruins the whole luxury resort first impression.
Ate at the Spice Market, and while the food and servings were great, the menu they handed to us has seen better days. It was wet (not damp) and smelled like it's been wet for days. We ate before the lunch buffet and the time it took to get our food was somewhere in the 30 minute range, which is 20mins too long.
Our garden view room has also seen better days. Everything about the room screams renovation needed. The mirror had those marks that you would see in old mirrors. There was dust accumulating behind our toilet. The toilet area stank (probably an issue with the sewage system). The rain shower had leaks on the side and we couldn't use it or else we'd be spraying water everywhere. The shower setting has no warm setting, just cold and hot. The room was so sparse, it's not what you would expect to pay for (I mean for a room that costs as much as a basic room in Shangri la Boracay, it looked like a utility room). We paid for an extra person but when we got there the settings were all set for only 2 people.
The infinity pool water was cloudy and honestly, it could do with a renovation as well.
The beach area needs to be cleaned up. We played frisbee along the shore and it was kind of hard to do when you see that you might be stepping on cigarette butts, plastic debris, and all sorts of litter. There were also a couple of beach beds that were defective.
When we stayed, delegates of some international conference were having dinner. We requested for 3 towels at this time but after 10 minutes, it didn't come. We followed up and got only one towel. I mean, I understand if the staff is busy, but having a conference doesn't mean you get to neglect your other guests.

Now for the pros. While there are not a lot of pros, I have to say that the one thing that made this whole resort experience kind of ok was the people. While the reservation office sucks, the people in the resort themselves were excellent.
We arrived early and the lady at the reception mentioned that she'll call me once the room is ready. I wasn't really expecting a call since that has happened to us before at Shang, but I was pleasantly surprised that she did actually call us, and the room was ready ahead of check in time.
During lunch, we were eating some pretty spicy food, and man, it's like I had a magic glass that just never runs out of water. They were super efficient. I also have to say kudos to Connell (sorry not sure if that's right), but he really took care of us during dinner even if there was a bunch of people eating at the time. The food is also pretty good. I mean it's expensive but it's just par for the course for resorts. so no complaints there.
Another highlight of the trip was the awesome activities. There is no possibility of getting bored in Misibis. Just the non motorized activities would fill up your entire day. The staff at the recreation facility were all so nice and helpful! The resort should be thanking them since it's pretty much only the good thing they have that will make you feel like the price is worth it.
There's also a bunch of land activities that we didn't get to do and honestly, it's probably the only reason why I'd even think about booking here again.

All in all, this is an example of a resort with 5 star service but 3 star facilities. If they have no plans of upgrading or renovating, then you're better off spending your money at Shangri La Boracay. Same price, but definitely more excellent facilities.

Room Tip: Villas look more maintained. Don't book a garden view at full price, it's not worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Misibis, Manager at Misibis Bay Resort, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Reg E,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay experience.

I have taken note of the challenges you encountered during the reservations process and would like to thank you for bringing these concerns to our attention. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and wish to share with you that this matter has already been addressed with our reservations team for review.

I am also happy to inform you that we have just launched an intensive renovation plan to repair the imperfections in both the public areas and guestrooms, which should be accomplished in no time.

I would like to thank you for commending our buffet selection and for recognizing the service our Misibis Bay colleagues provided you with during your stay; your kind words have surely inspired them. I will personally make sure they receive the recognition they deserve, especially our recreations team.

I’m also glad to learn that you enjoyed the activities our Resort had to offer and were able to stay entertained and active throughout your vacation.

It is my goal to restore your confidence in Misibis Bay by addressing your concerns. We hope you will consider staying with us once again so we can provide you with a new and unforgettable experience, perhaps in one of our Villas this time around.

Kindly email me directly so I can personally ensure that you, your friends or relatives are well taken care of.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cagraray Island
Casablanca Suites
Casablanca Suites
#4 of 13 in Legazpi
The Avenue Plaza Hotel

Been to Misibis Bay Resort? Share your experiences!