“Great for a one night stay”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bexleyheath
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
“Great for a one night stay”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We booked for one night to stay over for a funeral at Eltham the following day. We were very pleasantly surprised by the generous room size and facilities, the helpful reception, the close car park and a superb breakfast where nothing was too much for the staff incuding requests for porridge and crispy bacon delivered immediately to the table.So far so good.
We requested a wake up call at 7.00am which never materialised and also our room 115 was very hot and we couldn't open the window because of road noise. Next time we would book a room at the back of the hotel.
For one night, we were not concerned about the cost of other facilities although unless a business paid for them, I certainly would refuse them. WIFI and Pay TV are extortionate. Marriott management should be aware of this if they want to encourage non business guests.
Overall then, the hotel suited our purpose well - but more than one night ? -I'd spend most of my time complaining about the cost of facilities and breakfast if I had to pay rather than the business expense account.

Room Tip: Steer clear of the 100 series rooms and ask for one away from the main road
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Bharat M, Director of Operations at Bexleyheath Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Dear Sirs

Thank you very much for staying with us and your feedback. I would love to hear some more feedback from you. Please contact me directly to discuss further your comments in detail.

Your Sincerely,

bharat.madan@marriotthotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Polish first
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I stayed at this Marriott only for 1 night in January and overall I was not very impressed.

I would usually ignore any hotel that dares to charge for wifi. This time, I did not book the hotel myself so I could not apply my usual filter. How can you ask, in 2014, for 15 or 20£ (can't remember) for 24 hours of wifi (which effectively in my case would have been one evening and 1 hour at best in the morning) ? Wifi is free at the reception, but you know, I'd rather do what I got to do in my room.

The hotel looks tired from the outside. Likewise, the rooms aren't of the latest taste, but that's fine I guess. There was a bad smell in the corridor. Maybe the whatever chemical they use to clean the carpet.

Breakfast was average - certainly nothing exceptional for this class of hotel. Some details were a bit strange. I was the first customer in the morning and I noticed a couple of jars were almost empty.

On the plus side, the fare was reasonable, the service was good and friendly. I did not use the swimming pool but it looked nice from the outside.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Bharat M, Director of Operations at Bexleyheath Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 30 January 2014
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for staying with us. I fully appreciate your comments regarding Wi-Fi, as a company we reviewed our internet service last year and as a result as you rightly observed we now have complimentary 50MBPS secured Wi-Fi internet available in our Lobby, Bar and Restaurant. I have made a note of your preference to have them available in the rooms as well complimentary and will be passing it on to our head office for next review. I have no doubt in the near future we as a company will be providing free hi speed secured internet in every part of the hotel.
I am a little surprised by your comments about breakfast as we have more than 60 items in our Breakfast Buffet and we continuously get BRILLIANT feedback about it. I would really like to be able to address the area where we did not meet your expectations so please contact me directly on my contact details mentioned below.
Thank you very much for your kind comments about the friendly service, great swimming pool and value for money. My team – your hosts, are very proud of these factors.
I would like to thank you again for staying with us and I hope me and my team will get a chance to host you soon in the near future.

Your Sincerely,

England
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I visited the Marriott Bexleyheath on the 25th of Jan, we had a light snack in the planter bar that was very nice,myself and a friend wanted to try dessert but didn't like any on the menu,so as suggested by barman (Burak)we decided to try a cocktail called barman special this has to be a "MUST" I highly recommend this cocktail and want to say Buraks service was fantastic we had a lovely evening thanks to Burak and the Marriott Hotel!!! :)))

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your kind comments about the food & servce in Planters Bar. You are right, Burak is a BRILLIANT host. he has been with us a little over three years now and is a continuous cause of BRILLIANT feedback that we receive. I have shared your comments with him and the team and we all are very proud.

Me and my team look forward to Hosting you soon.

Yours Sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

With the terrible weather on Christmas Eve I was unable to get home, so had to find a hotel close to a cousin's home in Bexleyheath. This was the only option that came up on line and I booked a room last minute for £89.

Made it through to Bexleyheath and walked from the station (at least a 20 minute walk).

The hotel looks very a little tired from the outside. There is pay parking next door, and I passed various restaurants on the way to the place.

My room was on the ground floor - I hate ground floor rooms. It was warm and had a small balcony (overlooking the main road). It wasn't huge but like the outside of the hotel, it was tired looking. Bathroom was okay, nothing special.

Internet - others have commented on this too - was only available in the room for a fee. I could have sat out in reception apparently and used the wifi there free.

Breakfast was £16.50 for the full breakfast buffet or £14.50 for the continental buffet.

I stayed there out of convenience and with no other option on Christmas Eve. Would I stay again, no, unless the same circumstances happened.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Leesw8
Bharat M, Director of Operations at Bexleyheath Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us recently and writing a review. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us for various reasons. I have shared your feedback with the team and hope you stay with us soon and please get in touch with me directly so that I can assure that you have a seamless stay.

Thanks & Regards

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Just come back for a spa overnight package at the Marriott Bexlyheath, great food spa facilities were good excellent service, had a lovely 3 course meal as part of the deal.
We were a large group of people the hotel staff worked hard to accommodate our needs.
we will be back !!

Room Tip: Mke sure you book any spa treatments at the time of booking the room as they are busy
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Stay here often. Hotel has very comfy beds, friendly bar and good local restaurants and pubs on high street. Check in is often busy but otherwise great hotel.
Health spa is good and great food in hotel. Breakfast has great choice from a quick cold to a full hot.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Currently sitting in my room on business and paying over £100 for the privilege.
Marriott must be the only brand on the face of the planet that do not offer guests Free Wifi. I would even get free wifi in the most budget of hotels.
When I called reception, I was told you can get it in the bar for free. Hmmmmm, I have to concentrate on business, oh yeas, or course, I will sit in a bar and do my work!!!! COME ON!

I travel throughout the UK on business and I can quite safely say that I won't ever book a marriott again.

Even when I mentioned that I would be feeding back to the booking agent about it to complain, she just said, OK.
I have asked our Very Well Known Booking agents to remove marriott from the list for my global brand.
Yes you are a massive brand yourself, but you really should get up with the basic needs of today's traveller.

NEVER AGAIN.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bexleyheath
Premier Inn London Bexleyheath Hotel
Holiday Inn London-Bexley
DoubleTree by Hilton Dartford Bridge
Holiday Inn Express London - Dartford
Rowhill Grange Hotel & Utopia Spa
Mercure Dartford Brands Hatch Hotel & Spa

Been to Bexleyheath Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!