“Less than impressed”

Hotel Mantova - Vrhnika
Ranked #3 of 4 Vrhnika B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Upon arrival at the Hotel Montova (booked to be close for a visit to Ljubljana, travelling up from Croatia, before flying home the next day) we were allocated a family room on the top floor. The room itself was tired, dated and smelt musty - the reason for the latter became clear as we realised that water was leaking from the air con unit and dripping onto the floor.

We raised this problem with reception who seem very unconcerned (as if that was normal!) and we had to push for a transfer to another room, Although the replacement was smaller, the (non-leaking) air con unit was very underpowered and did little to reduce the room temperature.

Very few eating options in Vrhnika so we ate at the café/bar/restaurant attached to the hotel. Portions were large but food largely uninspiring as was the inclusive breakfast, which had limited choice in rather spartan surroundings.

We also experienced quite a lot of road and other noise early morning meaning this was the worst hotel of our 10 day trip round Slovenian & Croatia.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I wanted to stay in central Ljubljana center, but was late with reservation and Ljubljana's hotels were really expensice. At the other side, I have found out, that what I needed to do, was located a bit outskirts and hotel Mantova in Vrhnika was recommended.
The room price was much less than half in comparison to Ljubljana hotels, but everything was fine. Room big enough and comfortable, bathroom nice and equiped with basic toiletries, bed confortable, breakfast tastefull and rich enough. No minibar but gratis wi-fi.
I made a reservation on booking.com and was sure that there is 24-hrs reception... unfortunatelly there was not the case and when I came back to the hotel at 2 in the morning there was nobody there.... I have made a several calls to hotel reception, phone rang everywhere and after 10 minutes, cleaning lady let me in... There was a sign on the door that reception is closed few (midnight to 3?), but I didnt see it before and had the infor from booking.com in my mind... But this was not issue... I entered the hotel anyway :)

If you look for the cheap accomodation close to Ljubljana, this is a good option - only 200 meters from higway, 10 minutes to Ljubljana, 15 minutes to Ljubljana center. If you do not travel by car, there are cheap bus connection to Slovenia capital (0.5 hrs or less to central Ljubljana station).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed there for one night as part of a group excursion. Upon arrival, there was a major issue with reservation: even though we had booked a certain number of rooms, hotel had accommodated another group and we had to use what was available. This meant I had to share a bed with another person, contrary to my desire. Double bed wasn't that big, anyway. There was a small fridge but no minibar per se. TV looked decent, but I didn't get to trying the channels. I went downstairs irritated by the accommodation issue, topped by the lack of Internet (wi-fi is available only in lobby!!!) To try and make up, after I emptied a glass at the bar, I wasn't charged by the hotel. Bar looked nice anyway (dark beer was horrible, but it's local Slovenian after all); breakfast the next morning was good, and the staff very friendly. Toliet/bathroom was good, too. Overall, much better than some "4 star"s I've tried in Italy.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Excellent position if you are travelling for business around Lubljiana. Comfort is standard and "minimum" for a hotel... The restaurant is ok, good bier and good calamari. In sommer is nice to seat outside and it looks like the life center of Vrhnika.
Breakfast room is a bit "sad", small and not really inviting. But in general a good standard hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Good staff and location with a decent bar/cafe attached. The hotel is located right in the middle of town, very easy to find. Rooms are a decent size but we asked to be moved to one with a bigger bed (most doubles have standard beds, we prefer king size), the receptionist was obliging and moved us. The hotel is pretty worn out and needs to be renewed. I noticed that the hotel was a three star but had previously been a four star, so maybe a hotel on it's way down. Bar and cafe attached was hugely popular with locals, good staff, food and drink. This may explain why they are neglecting the hotel to some extent, since they're probably making more money on food and drink. Not a great hotel, but not a complete disaster either - just don't plan to stay for more than a couple of nights. Breakfast pretty good.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2012

This hotel is in a good location, right on the main drag. The restaurant had very good food and the outdoor dining had a nice ambience and was bustling with activity. And that was the cause for my room not being quiet. My room was a couple of stories above the outdoor dining and that made for a fair amount of noise in my room. I used earplugs and that was enough to muffle the noise.

When I first checked in I was assigned to a room that had some construction going on in it. That room was immediately reassigned after I brought it to their attention. The hotel staff was courteous, but mostly indifferent. The restaurant staff was quite good.

I would stay here again but get a room on the backside of the hotel that is away from the restaurant noise.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back of the hotel away from the outdoor dining area.