“Spoiled for choice......” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kelsall
Chester
“Spoiled for choice......”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Friendly welcome on a miserable Tuesday night.
Spacious, comfortable seating.
Extensive menu, good value.
Excellent ox cheeks, delicious all round.
No room for pudding, boo!
Looked after very well, mostly by Frankie.
Thumbs up all round.

• Stayed February 2014
      Cleanliness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014 via mobile

The Royal Oak is a great place to stay. We saw the place as a Travelzoo offer, it was brilliant. Just outside Chester, ideal for both there and Cheshire Oaks. Arrived and were shown straight up to our very new looking, spacious and beautiful room, ( TV bigger than ours at home). Super bathroom with lovely towels an toiletries. We went down to dinner which was extremely well cooked and served, unfortunately we were unable to sample the desserts as we were to full from a starter and main. The bedroom was warm and the bed very comfy. Breakfast was ok. We had a great visit and would return. The staff were friendly, polite and nothing was to much trouble.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kelsall
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

Having booked a table in early November I was surprised that my husband was told there was no record of our booking for Christmas Day. As a result we were demoted to the "canteen" area of the restaurant today. The food was quite nice but the service was poor. We were clearly not a priority being left with dirty plates for long periods of time. The staff were stressed and on the verge of tears and the room had no atmosphere. Fortunately we celebrate Christmas in style tomorrow and today was supposed to be an easy stop gap but I will never eat out at Christmas at the oak again. Disappointed!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DavinaKelsall
Davidjgughes, General Manager at The Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thanks for your comments, I am quite surprised you say your husband told you that you had no booking as i greeted you myself, and admittedly had you on my booking sheet as a table of 2 and not 3 a minor mistake, if we didn't have your booking we wouldn't have had your pre order that took me several emails and finally got on Christmas eve. And if we didn't have your booking we wouldn't have had your table.
you arrived half an hour early and wanted to be sat straight away, that's why you sat on the table in our brasserie(not canteen) next to our 20 foot Christmas tree,and not your table as it was still in use. if you had been a little more patient especially on a busy Christmas day you may have enjoyed your selves a little more.your food was served within the correct timings and you didn't wait long at all, as i kept an eye on your table myself 1 hour and 45 mins for a 3 course meal on a busy Christmas day i think that's pretty good going myself , once again thanks for your comments
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Went here for a night with my boyfriend & was very impressed with our room, very well furnished & spacious, definately not what I expected when he told me it was a pub, they deserve a 5 star rating. The food was amazing & the service, was made to feel like royalty. Very clean & lovely surroundings.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Went out for Sunday lunch with some friends we all had a lovely meal what a shame the service was terrible we had to wait for drinks for up to 20 minutes we ended up going to the bar and ordering the drinks ourselves this happened on a number of occasions

I would like to complements the kitchen staff I'm preparing a lovely meal just a pity that the waiting staff let them down

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cohen330099
bury st edmunds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I was really impressed with this hotel. Easy to find, ample and safe parking and a quiet location.The rooms were spacious, spotlessly clean, tastefully furnished with a comfortable bed, large bathroom, large flat screen TV, loads of channels, excellent WIFI and quiet.
I had an evening meal in the restaurant - the food was excellent, good menu choice and the meal came quickly and for a main course at under £10 I think was exceptional value.
The cooked breakfast was worthy of 5 stars. Clearly using fresh produce, cooked to order and again came quickly.
I found all the staff to be efficient and friendly and not constantly 'in your face' asking if everything was to my liking. Obviously they do not need to ask! Highly recommended I could not find any fault and would definitely stay here again. Well done!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My work requires me to travel to and stay overnight in Chester on a semi regular basis and I have stayed in a number of hotels in the area prior to finding this one, which is by far the best.

As other reviews have noted the rooms are extremely well done out and impeccably clean with a super comfortable bed and a firm mattress, important to me as I suffer from back pain.

The food is faultless as is the calibre of the service.

I would like to thank the staff for making my last stay as wonderfully memorable as the others and will be making repeat bookings in the very near future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
1 Thank Angela M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kelsall
The Chester Grosvenor
Crowne Plaza Chester
Crowne Plaza Chester
#11 of 45 in Chester
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,556 reviews

Been to The Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!