Both Mistley, and the Mistley Thorn were an amazing little find in Essex - in just under 2 hours drive from London, this was the perfect place for a quick getaway. After a quick 24hrs here, we were so chilled out we felt we had a whole weekend away.
My boyfriend and I got caught in London traffic and knew we would be arriving late (around 10pm) and although last orders in the restaurant were at 9:15pm, a quick call to the hotel on our way up, meant we arrived to both a warm welcome from the staff and that they had kindly arranged a fantastic seafood platter for us to ensure we didn't go to bed hungry. Coupled with a great recommendation for the wine, and lovely desserts, we couldnt have been more pleased with our dinner, and Boyfriend was particularly happy with his oysters.
We stayed in Room 5, which although was at the back of the property and no view to speak of, was a very large room, beautifully decorated in period colours, with high ceilings. The bed was possibly the most comfortable and cosy that either of us have ever slept in (and I have travelled a lot!!) and the room was very quiet - we had a perfect night sleep. No time to use the DVD player but the Ipod dock came in handy as we lounged around the next morning.
Breakfast was delicious, and after spending the morning walking around Mistley, along the seaside and down country paths, we returned to the hotel for lunch as well. Boyfriend was over the moon about his oysters - again!
I would highly recommend the Mistley Thorn - nice staff, great food, relaxing and beautiful accommodation.
If you have time to see sights, we enjoyed:
* Mistley Quay Workshops (across the road from Mistley Thorn - great for coffee and local artworks)
* Mistley Place Park - an animal rescue centre, over 2000 animals including horses, pigs, birds, rabbits, sheep. Talk to the owner - he's a lovely man who can tell you more about the property.
* Walk along the Walls - a waterfront walk where swans and geese who roam free on the river, congregated down along the walls
We would definitely re-visit Mistley!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mistley Thorn is located in the centre of the historic coastal village of Mistley and is two minutes walk from Mistley station, which has direct services to Colchester, Harwich and London Liverpool Street. Built as a coaching inn circa 1723, The Mistley Thorn offers award-winning dining and accommodation in tastefully designed surroundings opposite the River Stour. American born executive chef Sherri Singleton has developed a menu using the best of the area’s seasonal produce. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- The Mistley Thorn Hotel Mistley
- The Hotel Mistley
- The Mistley Thorn Essex