“Shocking”

Ranked #7 of 10 Restaurants in Southbroom
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We visited Riptide as regulars 10 Years ago, whilst living in the area. We returned for a holiday and lunch. The menu had dirt and food in it. We ordered snails and were told they had none, but they would do prawns the same way. They arrived and were as hard as boiled sweets! Cannot imagine how a prawn can be cooked till hard. The waiter agreed and then brought fish that was not up to standard. I thought the guests in the bar were noisy, and accepted that. We waited ages for the bill. On leaving we realised all the staff sitting were at the bar socialising. We asked to see the manahger and were told "he pops in now and again." We will not be returning as we were at the coast for 2 weeks and it was the only bad meal we had.

1  Thank Sharon W

Reviewed 30 September 2013

dislike: the food not a wow, the chairs not comfortable

like: by the sea and surrounded by beautiful houses and also the area itself is breath-taking.

2  Thank Koko K
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I'm an American & I go to the Carribean & the Keys & if you have too & love the beach restaurants, the laid back easy going atmosphere & lifestyle then you will love this place too. Yes, I have read the less than happy reviews & I guess I just have a different mindset. The staff are great & if you truly understand what their life is like in South Africa you would cut them some slack. The employees want to make the customers happy but not all tourists are built to handle a laid back black South African way. The food I ordered was excellent. No, this is not a 5 star restaurant. This is an easy going beach cafe/bar/restaurant that cooks seafood very nicely. I can't wait to get back there to enjoy myself again.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Have been to riptide a few times but was disappointed for the price you pay the food is just not up to standard - tasteless. And there was a top of a coke bottle in one of the plates and it was not ours. Location is excellent but does not make up for the food

1  Thank Christine B
Reviewed 25 April 2013

With its position and seas views this should be the best place on the coast. But they just don't care and as a result we don't go there anymore

1  Thank GDTravelsMargateRSA