“We had an awesome time in the perfect location.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Juan Island
Lonesome Cove Resort
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in San Juan Island
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My brother and I stayed in the Boathouse in late October while on the hunt to see whales. The cabin was very cozy and actually hung out over the water. We woke to a beautiful sunrise and were able to enjoy our coffee and look out upon all sorts of animals out on the seascape.

The owners, Kim and Karl Bruder were kind and charming.

The ability to be "unplugged" and relax without media interruptions was very restful.
Right near the boathouse is a lovely library full of books and other interesting things.
There is a nice comfortable full sized bed in the back and my brother noted that the futon inthe front room was "a good one."

We hope to return again someday.

Room Tip: All cabins have a lovely water view, but we really enjoyed hanging out over the water in the Boathou...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Boganvillas

Reviewed 19 September 2013

This year we stayed in the Boathouse (formerly referred to as the Net Loft). It is cozy and perfect for a couple on their own. Right out over the water with a great view (all cabins have a marvelous view) toward Spieden Island. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the deck for coffee in the morning and a glass of great San Juan wine in the evening. Comfortable bed, nice window seat for reading - a great visit. Back again next year!

Room Tip: If you have a group of six, take the San Juan cabin; for just two the Boathouse is ideal. During the...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Velvet21
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was an amazing experience! It was our 10th wedding anniversary and we wanted to stay somewhere off the beaten path without any electronic interruptions that would force us to be cell phone and laptop free. This did it. The couple running the place were very accommodating and really sweet. You can tell they have pride in their destination and they should! It is perfect. The size is idea with only a few cabins. I have a feeling this will be a family favorite for years to come!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed in the Net Loft over Memorial Day weekend. The loft was clean and the view was wonderful. I liked that the loft was away from the cabins, so it was like you had your own waterfront property. Each morning we would walk down to the water at low tide and explore the tide pools. That was so fun and a great teaching experience for my daughter. This isn't really a place for kids as it is more of a quiet retreat. It wasn't a problem for us as we only have 1 child but I could see how guests would be annoyed at loud playing children.

The library was great. I didn't see too much of the caretakers, but I knew I could contact them if I needed them. The property is on the other side of the island and there isn't anything nearby. You will need a car to stay here. The sunsets are wonderful to watch from the pier and a cute harbor seal hangs out at the pier after 10 PM.

Here are a few cons of the net loft: The frying pans are in poor condition. The non-stick ones were scratched and the other ones were very old and pretty gross aluminum pans. I would bring my own frying pan next time. The paper towels provided were very cheap and shredded with use. We went out to the store to buy our own. We chose the net loft because the bedroom was separate from the living room space, which we thought was ideal. When you have a kid that goes to bed two hours earlier than you do, having a separate room is a must. But, there are no doors so you weren't able to dampen the sound coming from the other room. Also, the door on the bathroom is just a folding wooden "screen". There is no privacy at all in the bathroom as you can see and hear everything in the bathroom when you are in the bedroom. I am not trying to be negative, I just want to inform you. I am a total germ-phobe, so I always rely on reviews. The loft, although old, was clean. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jill J
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this place. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we simply loved it here. The staff was super friendly and helpful – Kim, in particular. She went out of her way to make our stay as memorable as possible, and it definitely paid off. Our cabin was perfect – clean, cozy, and very well-appointed. It reminded both my wife and I of our respective childhood vacation spots. The furniture is a bit older, but not worn out – simply lived-in, like you might find in an old seaside cottage. The cabin had basically everything necessary for the perfect weekend – plenty of cookware, firewood, etc.

The view was like nothing I'd ever seen before. Most of the weekend we were watching the sun set over Victoria Island in Canada, or watching deer graze on Spieden Island across the channel (with a pair of binoculars that Kim lent us). Speaking of deer, we watched several out our back door one evening – not twenty feet away.

While it's not something I normally focus a lot on, the cleanliness of the place really blew me away. Lonesome Cove Resort seems to be billed as "rustic" on here, and I guess that's appropriate, but it was much better maintained than anything I could have imagined. The grounds remind me more of the Shire than of a wilderness retreat – every part of the property seemed to be groomed meticulously, and I swear that the grass always looked freshly cut, but I somehow never heard a mower. The inside of the cabin was downright spotless. Typical trouble areas such as the stovetop and areas between/behind appliances looked more than clean – they looked brand new. The bathroom was so clean it looked as if the woodwork around the shower was just installed the morning we arrived.

There is a library on site with tons of books, games, and puzzles. As others have mentioned, cell service is basically non-existent, (with the exception of Canadian roaming service, for some reason). This was strange at first, but by the time we left it felt more like a design choice than a nuisance, and greatly added to our experience.

In short, if we did nothing else on the island; or if someone told us that we had to spend a week here without leaving the property, I would say "only a week?" – it's that nice. It was the ideal spot to spend our first anniversary, and I hope we get to return someday.

Room Tip: Before going, I spent a lot of time researching the one with the "right" view. After havin...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hagurganus
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I live on San Juan Island but if I were a tourist, I would stay here. It is a beautiful property and Kim and Karl are the best hosts. The views from the water's edge and the surrounding tall tree forest is quiet, peaceful and incredibly scenic.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gemlight
Reviewed 1 April 2013

My wife and I just got back from our stay at Lonesome Cove Resort. We stayed in Cabin 4, and were blessed with some of the best weather we could have imagined. Not that we would have minded a driving rainstorm (we're from San Diego, so we get sun all the time!), as the cabins have everything you need to close off from civilization for awhile and just blissfully decompress.

In a word, AWESOME. Lonesome Cove Resort delivers on its promise, and how! The cabins are worn in the way of a good, dependable hammer... trustworthy and useful and comfortable. The furniture is pleasurably "dated" (I'd prefer to say 60's era charming), the counters have some honestly-earned chips, the fridge hums the way my dad's early-70's model did. All of it agreeable and comforting. Super-comfortable bed with warm flannel sheets. Plenty of hot water, plenty of pressure. Out on the porch, on the waters of the Lonesome Cove and Speiden Channel and looking out north to Spieden Is., the world's pace slows enough that the time between tick and tock is an eternity. Quiet enough to hear your own heartbeat, it seemed. We had the place to ourselves on a Thursday night in late March, and Friday saw the next door cabin (#3) filled with another couple who we barely heard. In fact, the only sounds we did hear were our own fire (all the firewood we could burn included with the cabin in a convenient bin right on the porch), the bird calls, the foghorns of the Canada/U.S. ferry, the frog calls from the frog pond, and the occasional grumpy sea lion. The cabins are a pleasant 20-min drive from Friday Harbor. We had a snack in Rouche Harbor after a day exploring the English Camp, and lunch the next day in Friday Harbor, but otherwise we shopped our own groceries at King's Market in Friday Harbor and cooked for ourselves in the completely usable kitchen (we made pizza in the oven). Plenty of plates and glasses and cookware and utensils. And CLEAN! When's the last time you weren't afraid to look in the corners of a log cabin? This is the place... as the owners explained to us, their cleaning woman is "obsessive compulsive" about cleanliness (in the best possible use of the term!), and it showed. Spotless through and through. My wife is particular about cleanliness, and even she was impressed, which is saying something!

The owners were very personable and helpful and it's clear that this is a labor of love for them. The grounds are laid out practically and thoughtfully... we chopped our own kindling in front of the woodshed with the axe and chopping block right in front of the cabin, and we noticed how well the trash and recycling shack was laid out, carefully fenced off to keep the critters out. The grounds were wonderfully manicured (loved the frog pond and its nightly serenade of frog calls!), and everything was in super-good repair. We walked on the stony beach right out front of the resort and investigated the interesting tidepools there for a solid hour.

My wife and I will definitely be back next year, when we'll hopefully get rained on cats and dogs for a change of pace I can't think of a better place to have a glass of wine by a roaring fire while the wind blows. One thing to keep in mind, there is no cellphone signal at the cabins. I'm on Verizon, and my phone kept picking up spotty international connections from Canada (no thank you, int'l data usage!). U.S. cell service is reliable in both Friday and Rouche Harbors though, where we got our email and checked in for our flight. No big hassle... in fact, we just turned our phones off at the cabin. The information booklet in the cabin mentioned that the cabins have low-bandwidth Wi-Fi available, but we couldn't get it to work, and truthfully didn't mind giving up on it.

In summary, Lonesome Cove delivers exactly what it promises, and delivers magnificently. A quiet, tranquil waterside retreat away from civilization amidst the glory of Northwest pine country where you really can "get away from it all." Bravo!!!

Room Tip: All of the cabins looked great, but Cabins 3, 4 and 5 all have the woodburning fireplaces, a MUST in...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 11 in Orcas Island
Tucker House Inn
Tucker House Inn
#5 of 11 in Friday Harbor

Been to Lonesome Cove Resort? Share your experiences!