“What a place!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bluff Point
Hilton, NY
“What a place!”
Reviewed 18 October 2006

Esperanza Mansion is one of my favorite places to go. I have been there on several occasions and will continue to go back in the future. The view in unbelievable, you could just sit for hours and look at the lake. The food is out of this world. Everything is made to order and you couldn't ask for more! The staff is kind, curteous and very friendly. The accomodations are spacious and very comfortable. I also have has the pleasure of going out on the boat which is another fantastic adventure! What sights there are to be seen. For a weekend getaway or even business meetings, this is the place to go!

• Liked — Large scacious rooms that each have great views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Make sure you take your camera
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
1 Thank Pritchie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Hamlin,N.Y
Reviewed 17 October 2006

Esperanza is a great place to go for relaxation, great food, great room and simply just for pampering. I had no complaints what so ever with anything.I would love to thank all the staff, I give you guys an A+++++++.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Everything was great!
  • Tips/Secrets — Excellent place to go!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled on business
Pittsburgh Pa
Reviewed 6 September 2006

Here's a copy of the email I sent to the Esperanza's director after my daughter's wedding on August 26, 2006 - I am writing to convey my appreciation to your entire staff for the handling of my daughter's wedding and reception on August 26. The day was one of the best of my life - no exaggeration - and I am very pleased my daughter chose to have both the wedding and reception at the Esperanza. In particular, your Wedding Coordinator Kathy Marchanese did an excellent job - she always seemed to be in the right place at the right time and handled everything with professionalism and a smile. She was truly a pleasure to deal with. Also, the woman who oversaw the wait-staff, Theresa, was very helpful and kept on top of everything. Just as an example - as the bridal party lined up to enter the patio for the wedding ceremony, she noticed the groom was standing in a place where he might be able to see my daughter - Theresa shooed him away so it didn't spoil anything for the bride - this may sound silly, but it really shows a personal concern and attention to detail that deserves note. Again, my thanks to everyone - we had a great time - I almost forgot to compliment the chef - the food was terrific, and served hot (always a pet peeve of mine at such events) - and the bartenders also - great job all around. Carl Harvison

• Liked — Stayed in the Mansion room for a wedding - it was beautiful - not sure about the Inn - they handled the wedding very professionally
  • Tips/Secrets — Great spot for a wine tour of local vinyards and the Finger Lakes region of NY
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
penn yan
Reviewed 2 September 2006

The waitress always seemed bothered by us. It took her nearly 15 minutes to initially come over to our table after we first sat and another 15 minutes to get us water! She also was chomping on her gum all night, very unprofessional and tacky. She definatly did not belong in a beautiful and classy place like the Esperanza. I believe her name was either Erin or Vicki someone should re-train her. Other than her however, the food was wonderful and the view breathtaking! (even in the rain!) The hostess was so pleasant and well mannered and the girl at the front desk very polite and always smiling. We would definatly return but if we are cursed with the same waitress again we would have to ask for a replacement.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the waitress
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
Penn Yan, NY
Reviewed 16 August 2006

The Esperanza Restaurant and Inn sits perched atop a hill overlooking the rural outpost of Bluff Point on the western branch of Keuka Lake. This Greek revival mansion has seen many reincarnations over the course of its 168 year history, serving as everything from a winery to an orphanage and passing through too many different private owners to count. By the time I was a kid in the 1970’s, the mansion was abandoned and had fallen into serious disrepair. Looming atop a steep driveway, the old building had the scary aura of a haunted house, and had become a late night party hangout for local teens, who broke into the building and scrawled graffiti all over the crumbling walls. Local gossip says that famous Brazilian artist Romero Britto actually submitted the highest offer for the estate when it went up for sale a few years back, but the eccentric painter and sculptor lost out to more influential Rochester developer David Wegman. Wegman built a cheap looking new motel in the mansion parking lot, which stands markedly apart from the stunning architecture of the original mansion. I toured the mansion after it first re-opened several years back, and was not impressed by the ersatz décor. You picked up a candlestick and saw the fifty-cent “Big Lots” price sticker still on the bottom. Cheap pictures on the walls looked like they came from the same Big Lots bargain bin.

My husband and I ate dinner at the Esperanza restaurant on a Friday night in August. We opted to eat in the fine dining section, and were immediately seated at a corner table upon our arrival. The room featured a fireplace and a hutch full of china tea cups. Deep casement windows alongside our table overlooked the valley and lake below. I ordered a glass of local wine and we were swiftly presented with a basket of warm rolls accompanied by softened butter. For starters, I ordered the basil, tomato and mozzarella salad. The menu boasted that this salad contained vine-ripened tomatoes. Since August is the month of ripe tomatoes - especially in this rural area bursting with Mennonite farm stands – I expected nothing less. To my disappointment, thin, off-pink slices of tomato arrived, looking like something that might accompany a fast food hamburger. The dish was topped off by rubbery mozzarella cheese served cold and drizzled with a grainy mustard seed dressing. My husband made a better choice with a crock of silky lobster shrimp bisque. Sadly, throughout the meal we were tormented by fruit flies. Our constant swatting at these little pests presented a serious distraction to our enjoyment of the meal. Organic veal arrived with spinach like growing moss piled atop two medallions of meat. For the accompanying presentation, matchstick-thin potato sticks were piled over braised leeks and potatoes that swam in a wine reduction sauce of pan juices. The crusty chunks of veal were soft and delicious. Too full for desert, I ordered coffee, which was served in a small white ceramic cup and tasted very much like instant. Dinner for two, with two glasses of wine came to $109. At these prices, no wonder the only locals I saw were the waitresses. We couldn’t leave without walking out onto the veranda and taking in the spectacular view of the western branch of Keuka Lake. This is the one thing the Esperanza offers which no one else can: the most breath-taking view you will find anywhere in the Finger Lakes.

7 Thank PennYanFoodCritic
Key West, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2006

A spectacular view coupled with a great room and dinner made for a terrific Anniversary trip. We loved it!

• Stayed July 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 July 2006

I stayed here last week. I agree with some of the previous ratings -- the rooms are so-so, at least in the "cottages" which are basically a motel separate from the mansion. Biggest problem I had was the room was musty smelling and the patio door leading to the parking lot didn't seem to afford much privacy. They definitely need better curtains so you don't feel as though you are sleeping with the cars.

The restaurant was OK, but if you have dietary restrictions or want something a bit different, you probably won't get it. The kitchen was not very accommodating.

The biggest issue was that they must have a septic tank problem. The grounds are breathtaking, but when the wind blows, whew! You can even smell it on the dining patio. A real ambiance killer.

Pricy, accommodations aren't that great. Food was just OK. You could certainly get better elsewhere, but you can't beat the view.

Stayed July 2006
#3 of 12 in Canandaigua
Microtel Inn & Suites Penn Yan Finger Lakes Region
Best Western Plus The Hammondsport Hotel
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bath

Been to Esperanza Mansion? Share your experiences!