“Excellent Lunch”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Excellent Lunch”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Arranged to meet some of my family for a lunchtime get together on the Friday before Christmas and was most surprised that we were the only diners...Why?
A welcoming atmosphere with cosy log fires and a lovely welcome from the staff and Pablo the dog, followed by an excellent meal (the steak sold by the ounce is a brilliant idea) and the chips are second to none!!! Nothing was too much trouble and I cannot understand why this lovely pub/restaurant was not busy. North Yorkshire folk are missing out!!!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Jenny S

Southport, North Carolina
“Splendid meal on the Moors”
Reviewed 6 December 2012

My party of four were staying at a nearby cottage for the week. We stopped by the inn to look at the menu and decided it looked interesting enough to return on the Thursday evening. Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by the bar staff and some of the locals at the bar. The restaurant was strangely empty at 7pm. I caught sight of the young chef and asked if he was actually cooking! Then I asked him what he considered his signature dish; it was the fish pie.
Three of the four of us ordered the fish pie and it had obviously been prepared from scratch and stuffed with a delicious array of fish and shellfish. The creamy broth was seasoned to perfection. The fresh bread accompaniments were a perfect complement to the meal.
We sampled four different desserts and coffee and everyone agreed that all-in-all it was the best meal we had eaten in our visit to the Moors.
Once the word gets out about this young chef, you'll have to book well ahead to get a seat and empty restaurants will be a thing of the past. Bravo!

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Trainmodeller
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's a shame it's not closer to home!! Superb!”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Having been recommended this pub purely for food alone, we visited the area and booked ourselves in. The food is beautifully presented and tastes superb, not the normal pub type grub which is a great change!! Lovely place to eat with friendly staff!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Andy B
Pickering, North Yorkshire
“Quiet but pleasant”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

We visited this restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday. we had been before several years ago but it has closed and re-open since then.
The restaurant is within the pub and as such is open to view to others using the bar, this is not a major problem but I expect it may feel a little fish bowl like at times. The decor was pleasing and it had a real fire in the restaurant making it feel cosy. We were greeted at the bar and shown to the lounge area to read the menus. There was a good choice of dishes, none of them too fancy and all using local produce.
I chose potted shrimps to start and the pork belly for mains followed by spotted dog pudding, my wife had the soup, Glamorgan sausages and a brownie for sweet. We enjoyed all the dishes and found the portion sizes to be just right. The service was good though we did wait a while before our starters arrived.
We certainly enjoyed our visit and as it is local we will be back before too long.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank sealdriver
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Meal in Yorkshire heaven”
Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

Had to write a review about this great pub in a lovely little village called Marton. Firstly the pub is run by a great young couple landlord Graham and is wife Claire . The pub is used by locals as well as visitors, all I can say the locals make you feel at home, great mix of ages.

All i can say the food is magical!

We had the fish pie, the pie was rich with flavour a must for fish lovers. I also had the pork and yes it melts in your month.
I love the way the steak was sold by the oz, my partner order a 6oz steak and chips and it was good value for money. The steak melted and the home made chip were to die for!

This pub is a most go to
If you looking for a place to stay but not in the guide books give the pub a call.

Stayed in the newly open one bed room holiday cottage,attached to the pub. Looking for a lovely little lost Gem of a cottage clean, fresh and romantic look no further.

This pub has everything a true Yorkshire pub should have!