“Murder Mystery Dinner” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitfield
Watford, United Kingdom
“Murder Mystery Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Ramada Dover for a murder mystery dinner. Our room was fine, but could do with a little updating, e.g. the back of the wooden bathroom door had seen better days. The bed was comfortable and there were tea and coffee making facilities (but bizarrely no English breakfast tea). There was also a hairdryer, an ironing board and a safe. Our room faced the car park (and behind that the A2) but we did not find it noisy after closing the window. The murder mystery dinner was organised by an external company and it was good fun. This took place in the Olive Tree Restaurant. We were served vegetable soup, chicken with roast potatoes and veg, plus an apple crumble with ice cream for desert. This was all very good. We went for breakfast at 9am the next day. It was busy but we managed to get a table. It is buffet style with cereals, tea, coffee, fruit juices, fruit, break and a cooked breakfast. This included two types of sausages (the smaller ones were tastier), bacon, mushrooms, beans, scrambled egg and black pudding. Only the hash browns were missing but there was more than enough. The chef will also cook fried or poached eggs how you like them. The poached eggs were excellent.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PrabhavGupta, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review and for the constructive comments contained therein.

I am really pleased you enjoyed the Murder Mystery dinner as this is a new venture for us, and so far the feedback has been very positive and we will look to do these again next year.

I will gladly pass your feedback to the restaurant and kitchen teams as I know they will welcome your opinion, so thank you for this.

Once again, thank you for your review and I hope we will be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future

Neil Lomas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Our room was booked on account as a regular corporate customer on 29/08/13 - two rooms, for one night on 12/09/13.

We drove 240 miles to meet a colleague and arrived at 7pm to be told there was only one room out of the two available and the other person would have to stay in a "sister hotel" at the other end of town - not very convenient when you have a meeting to have that evening, another first thing that morning and one car between the two of you!!

They had obviously taken our advanced booking and also taken someone elses money on top - basically thinking either one wouldn't turn up or it would be simple to fob the last ones to arrive off on another hotel.

Simply not good enough - The offer of a free dinner really didn't cut it, we booked two rooms, two weeks in advance and were basically shunted around with no care or consideration, and this is for a regular customer, I dread to think how a one off would be treated.

To add insult to injury, the shutters on the bar came down at 11pm and all staff went into hiding.

A pathetic attempt at service and an absolute joke - better off in the premier inn at half the cost.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Matt J
PrabhavGupta, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Dear Sir

Thank you for your post and review on Trip Advisor.

As I tried to expalin at the time, it was sincerely regertable that we had to locate you to our sister hotel. This was due to a situation byond our control and I do appreciate you were understandably upset by these events.

We have been in contact with your head office on the morning of your departure and explained the situation to them as well..

I will look into your comment regarding the bar closing at 11pm as it should remain open for any residents requiring drinks.

Once again, thank you for your review and we have given assurances to your company that, wherever possible, we will not put employees of your company (or any other guests) in the same predicament in the future

Neil Lomas

Travellers are raving about these Whitfield hotels

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in cheaper, cleaner and more 'tidy' premier inns than this. The reception area and restaurant look lovely and staff in the restaurant and bar were nice. The check in staff not friendly at all. No explanation about when breakfast was or asking if we wanted to dine later that even. We don't want to be pressured but come on surely they need to do a bit of up selling. The room was awful. It had a smell that smelt like smoke even though it was non smoking room. There was filled in holes in the headboard. Black marker on the bathroom mirror. Bedside table had stains. Horrible sofa in the corner. Coffee maker made disgusting coffee so don't bother going to any trouble with that. Restaurant for evening meal was lovely, you don't need to have the set menu, we weren't told this, but asked for something different which they did no problem. Breakfast ok. Eggs cooked to order. No rush in fact we were the only ones in there. Rough round the edges!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PrabhavGupta, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Helen

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for your constructive feedback. I am truly sorry that your stay was memorable for the wrong reasons.

I do understand your comments regarding the condition of your room and we had already started a refurbishment programme of all rooms, however, this has not been completed and is still ongoing but once it is finished, it will be a higher standard than we had before.

I an sorry you didn't like the coffee from the espresso machine in your room, we have only just installed these and will be reviewing the coffee product again fairly shortly.

Thank you for your kind sentiments regarding the team in the Bar & Restaurant, we are in he middle of a customer care training progamme for all the team as many of them are new to the industry. I will pass onto the chef your kind words about his food as I am sure he will appreciate this.

Once again I am sorry that your stay was not up to our normal high standards but I do hope you may give us another chance should you be in the area again

Deal, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Had various issues with the Hotel and management regarding facilities at the hotel. The management were only interested in taking my money and that of the wedding party that were there. Yes they were spending more money than me but you need to cater to all guest not just the ones spending the most. Very poor attitude and on balance you might get lucky staying here or you might not, dont risk it if you need your sleep for driving the next day! We stopped at Premier Inn down the road (Guston Wood) on way back which was lovely and quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Jamie S
PrabhavGupta, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dear Jamie

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, I very much welcome your feedback and I am sorry that the impression you were left with was anything but favourable.

I and the team here aim to treat all guests to the high Ramada standard in all instances and please accept my apology's that it wasn't forthcoming on this occasion. I will discuss your feedback with my team and use your comments as a base for enhancing the service levels given and to ensure that all guests receive the same levels of service irrespective.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback

Nantwich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Had the misfortune to stay here with wife for a stopover before getting ferry. Prebooked but found wedding had taken all car spaces and room was next to function. Mini kettle in room caught fire due to electrical fault, management showed no interest in our welfare, the electrics blew as a result and couldn't be fixed! Woken early by call to say taxi waiting despite having our car parked outside. Eventually complained to hotel HQ in America, didn't even reply. Booked through third party and managed to get a refund but told Ramada only wanted to pay half! Says it all.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
6 Thank RoyNantwich
PrabhavGupta, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Sir
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor and I am sorry your stay was memorable for the wrong reasons.

I was advised of your compalint both through our head office and through the booking agent you placed your reservation with.

I did reply in writing to your home address, as requested, when you contacted our head office and I am sorry that this letter hasn't arrived although this letter was sent out on the 26th July.

I will resend this letter to you as it did contain my apologies and an offer in an attempt to restore your confidence in the Ramada Dover.

Please feel free to contact me should this letter not arrive within the next 3 days

Muenster, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayd the night before we took the ferry. The distance to the harbour was very short. with two adults, one senior and two children we booked one family room and one double room. We were lucky and got two family rooms. So both adults and the senior could sleep alone in one beed and the children shared one.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to complete your review on Trip Advisor and I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us. It is always a pleasure when we are able to surpise our guests and I am glad you found the family rooms were ideally suited to your requirements.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the nottoo distant future

General manager
Plymouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Booked this hotel as a stopover before boarding the ferry to France., also chose to stay at the end of the holiday as the return ferry was a late one.The first stay was in a room which was close to a generator which was humming loudly all night. We were a bit concerned having already reserved accommodation for the end of the holiday, however, our return stay was much more pleasurable,
Different room,clean comfortable and quiet. We had a meal in the Olive tree restaurant ,which was very much enjoyed,good quality food and well prepared. Lovely friendly staff.Would certainly use the hotel again.

quite loudly all night. The room was clean and comfortable .Had a meal in the Olive Tree reset t

Room Tip: The humming from the generator would affect room numbers 215 and the immediate rooms closest to it.