“A Little Dated”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitfield
Pickering, United Kingdom
“A Little Dated”
Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

Checked in for two nights in an Executive Room. The room seemed nice enough but on closer inspection everything was a little tatty. Mildew in the grouting, varnish peeling off bathroom door and chips and scrapes pretty much everywhere. In need of some internal remodelling and a lick of paint to say the least. The food in the restaurant was nice enough but the breakfast was routine and a little overpriced at £10 per person per day. Handy for crossing the channel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PrabhavGupta, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your last stay with us. Your feedback and observations are greatly appreciated.
I fully take onboard your comment about being 'A Little Dated' and we have already started working on this by refurbishing the bedrooms during our 'off peak' season and I am expecting this to be completed early in 2014

Once again, I welcome your comments and I hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future

Kindest regardds

Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We stayed at the Ramada before our ferry trip to France. It's a few miles from the ferry but really convenient. We arrived late so didn't eat.The lounge area was pleasant and relaxing.The room was very comfortable.The staff very helpful and we would stay again. We also got a really good deal for the room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback from your most recent stay with us, your comments and observations are very much appreciated and I will ensure that these are relayed back to the team.
I hope you had a good ferry crossing and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future should you decide to cross the Channel again.

Neil
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

The staff were fairly rude, miserable and lacked customer service! The waitress in the restaurant almost threw our food at us! The food was appalling, my daughter was served meatballs that were at least a week old, dry and black in colour...inedible, as were my husbands satay chicken! The staff were arguing in front of customers. The room was basic and drunken lads kept us up all night... Overall a tiring stay, thankfully only one night, but that was enough to give me a bad stomach for a week!

Stayed October 2013
7 Thank SA54mart
PrabhavGupta, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your time in giving me your feedback from your recent stay. I had spoken to your husband prior to reading this and I have apologised directly for the shortcomings of the hotel. These situations should not have occurred and as discussed with your husband, corrective actions have been taken to prevent further incidents being repeated.

Once again, thank you for your review

London England
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We had stayed at this hotel a few years ago following a family function and had found our stay very pleasant. En route to the Netherlands and following another local function we decided to repeat our experience. This was not the case. Parking was scarce as there was a party going on, check in was easy enough but we had to return to get wi-fi codes etc.,
Our room was well located and to be fair we did not experience any noise from the celebrations. However the wardrobe door hinges were in desperate need of some oil and must have disturbed the people in the adjoining room.
The wi-fi was non existent and when my husband went to reception he was told that nothing could be done - in other words - tough. If you can't provide it don't advertise it!

Breakfast was OK but if you wanted anything other than instant scrambled eggs forget it. The bacon was tough, the beans were overlooked and the self service tea and coffee another minor annoyance. The lack of appropriate cutlery, ie no small teaspoons at the table was also irritating. I like a leisurely breakfast and don't want to complete a sponsored walk before being finally able to sit down to eat.

I would suggest that a certain number of parking spaces be reserved for this guests staying the night, we have an expensive car and I thought at one stage we would have to leave it in the road outside! Again the wi-fi, please if you cannot provide it as I have already said don't advertise. The maintenance of the room should be done on a regular basis as there was no way that the creaking wardrobe door had only just occurred.

Although my complaints are fairly minor when all added together led to a,somewhat frustrating stay. The hotel seems to have become a little neglected. It would also have been nice if he hotel notified its guests that the main road into Dover was completely closed for roadworks, a little local knowledge in these situations would be nice.

Room Tip: Ask to be located away from the functions area.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback from your recent stay and I can only apologise for the issues you encountered. This is not the Ramada standard and I am sorry that you experienced an inferior level of service.
I have taken onboard your comments and have discussed these with the teams in the hotel and the high importance that should be placed on Customer Service. We have implemented various changes following your stay and I hope, that should you return again, you will notice the improvements we have made.
Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again on your next trip to the Netherlands
Kind regards
Derby UK
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Ramada was similarly priced to other area hotels which we usually stay at (Premier Inn etc) so decided to stay here for a change. Although the room was smaller than the typical Premier Inn room, the quality of furnishings and decor was superior, and we had an enjoyable and relaxing stay.

Both the receptionist and the lady in the bar were friendly and helpful, the barlady especially pleasant.

For a functional overnight stay before a ferry departure, I wouldn't necessarily pay the extra to stay here over other hotels. But whilt the price is roughly similar, this will be our first choice.

Room Tip: We did have a small amount of traffic noise in our room (facing the direction of the road), however...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MattTiff
PrabhavGupta, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Matt

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review on Trip Advisor and for the kind sentiments.
It is always a pleasure to know our guests have enjoyed their stay and that the team have made a positive impact on them
Please rest assured I will pass on your complements to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

General manager
Telford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We have stayed here several times before prior to joining a cruise ship.
On this occasion, we found the bar food to be of poor quality, poorly presented and over-priced.
There was a staff party going on in the marquee, and the management seemed to be more involved in this than looking after their paying customers.
Our "superior" room was right by the entrance to the bar/marquee, and the noise was awful until well after midnight- not what you need after a 5 hour journey! When I mentioned this at check-out next morning, I got no apology. Just a comment that there was a party on.

Room Tip: Don't have a superior room near to the bar exit to the marquee!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Margaret T
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that everything was not as good as it should have been.
I have taken onboard your comments and we should have paid closer attention to where we placed your reservation in relation to where the event was taking place.

With regards to the function in the Marquee, this was an awards presentation for the hotel's team in recognition of the hard work they had done during the very busy summer months and once again, I am sorry that this caused a disturbance to you. We will in future, hold these events away from the hotel so as to not disturb our guests

Once again, I am sorry that your stay was not as emjoyable as it should have been, but I hope you will give us the opportunity to rectify the situation in the future

Duesseldorf
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times on my way to get the ferry over to France. If you are doing this, then the hotel is great as far as location is concerned as it takes about 5 minutes to the ferry terminal on a dual carriageway and there is a petrol station around the corner from the hotel.

The hotel though, as other reviews indicate, is showing signs of wear and tear. I would say there are just too many people staying one night on the way to the ferry and the hotel is also trying to cover events such as weddings at the same time. This means the staff are covering too many bases, service is somewhat off-hand and public areas untidy and dirty.

The first room I was allocated this time was distinctly musty. The staff did change the room without much fuss and I got a large family room. However, this room was really not as clean as it should be - cobwebs over the ceiling - and I suffered the bizarre aspect of kitchen staff passing DIRECTLY in front of my window and looking into my room until late at night. It was odd and not very comfortable but I could not have bothered complaining again.

Breakfast is nothing special. The chef making eggs seemed to be absent for much of the time - I didn't get any in any case. One tip from me if the hotel is reading this - serve fresh coffee even at a buffet - I cannot imagine that many of your (European) visitors are too impressed with getting their own machine coffee - Urgh!

All in all, I think I am going to look for an alternative for my overnights in the Dover area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
PrabhavGupta, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am sorry that not everything was as it should have been.

I fully understand your comment regarding the hotel being tired and this is something that we are already working on with bedrooms being redecorated, windows being replaced and the installion of a satelite kitchen to negate the kitchen staff having to pass by the guest rooms late at night once functions have finished.

I will address your concerns on the rooms cleanliness witht he housekeeping team and ensure that this is not repeated in the future.

I will take onboard your suggestion regarding the coffee at breakfast and I will look to improve this imeadiatley.

I am sorry that you feel inclined to source alternative accommodation, however, if I could ask you to contact me directly at the hotel, I will try to restore your condidence in my hotel.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to speaking with you in due course

Neil Lomas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitfield
Best Western Plus Dover Marina Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Dover East Hotel
Grand Burstin Hotel
Grand Burstin Hotel
#8 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to Ramada Dover? Share your experiences!