“Overnight stop ”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitfield
Edinburgh
“Overnight stop ”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Whilst travelling through Dover on A20 we were delighted that we'd booked our overnight in the ramada a few miles north of Dover.
Reception staff were fab a really nice warm welcome.... Room was every thing you would except, comfortable and clean.
The hotel is on the side of A2 so not a lot of choice at night for food. However the hotel has a bar and more formal restaurant.
My husband was slightly wary of the Octagon Bar menu .... And suggest that there was a fair chance the fish and chips would be a 'triangle' fish.... More on that later.
We sat a table that was showing signs of last guests spilt drinks. As all other free tables had not been cleared. Total of three tables being used!
I ordered at the bar and then we sat and were entertained, watching the bar man to anything other than clear tables... Displacement therapy at its best. A family of five came in looked at all the dirty tables stood for a few minutes while the barman counted his till float..... Needless to say they walked out.
A supervisor them appeared and seemed to suffer from the same displacement disorder... A bit of paper shuffling before then deciding that the best use of time was to restock the bar.... Cellar door was left open with all the noise
Associated with bar cellars meters from where we were dining.
Fish arrived..... And yes it was a deep fried frozen triangle. We left after an hour.... All Tables still all sitting uncleared.....
A nice hotel ruined by lack of good customer focus. A work force that were working at zero speed... No thought for maximising turnover....no consideration for dining experience....
Ramada your hotel space was all we could ask for however the staff in bar areas were untrained, unsupervised and need a good kick up the b@&£ to think customer!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Glencree
Khaneshkan S, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us and I am pleased that you found the room & Reception staff 'fab'
With regards to the lack of service in the bar-I have just finished a training cycle with the team in the restaurant after several uncomplemntary reviews and I have just started to carry out the same training with the bar team-you are correct and the fact that tables were not cleared is not acceptable and is not the Ramada standard-please rest assured that we wil not accept the levels of customer service you encountered and we will do all that is allowed to bring our standards back to where they should be.
Once again, thank you for your comments & I hope you will notice an improvement on your next visit

Neil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Edinburgh
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Was here for business; had a good clean room, courteous staff, and nice meals. Only down side was that the ironing board is pretty old and mouldy. Definitely will return if I am back in Dover again.

Free parking and good quality wifi are always appreciated.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review on Trip Advisor and I thank you for your positive comments.
In repsect of the tired ironing board, I have asked the Head Housekeeper to locate this and replace it, along with any other ironing boards that are not to the right standard.
I hope that you will see a change for the better when you are in this area again!
Once more, thank you for your feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Two wonderful friends were getting married and simply the venue really did ruin the day. With a permanent structure being three marquee you would think they would have air con for hot days.

The weather had been hot for the week previously and the forecast emphasising Saturday would be humid also, The marquee became unbearable so much so the bride had to change from her wedding dress due to heat.

The food was lovely however the ridiculous prices at the bar meant no one could enjoy a drink as they were left with no money after 3 rounds. My partner and I ordered two ciders and it came to £10.40 !!!

I am glad to have been apart of my friends day however I feel they have been let down massively by the venue.

Stayed July 2014
8 Thank Izzy1104
Khaneshkan S, General Manager at Ramada Dover, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback from the wedding you attended and for sharing with us your experiences. We have taken note of your comments and are looking into ways of resolvomg the heat issue as a matter of urgency within the Marquee. With regards to the price of two ciders, these were Koppaberg which are a premium brand and as such are a little more expensive than standard products, however, I have taken onboard what you have said and we will look at the pricing structure.

I am sorry we gave you cause to give a negative review, but I hope that the remedial actions we are taking will restore your confidence in the Ramada brand
Gilsland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Having read other reviews, I wasn't expecting much. We stayed for 1 night for a function. Arrived at 11.30am and asked about early check-in. We were told by Roshan (duty manager) that there were no rooms available, but if we came back around 1pm there would be something clean. Went back and were given room 224 - large room, nicely presented, away from the car park. Reception rang a taxi for us when we asked them, and all the staff were polite & friendly. The evening function was in the superb marquee: beautifully decorated, great staff, well managed... The only slight issue was only having 1 bar person on the hotel bar while we were waiting for the marquee to be refreshed. Long, long queues... Our room was quiet, even though it was near the marquee, and the bed was really really comfy!! Breakfast was great - fresh, good quality buffet, and great staff. Some of the items not refreshed even though breakfast didn't finish for 1 hour, but that's a minor niggle. And I agree with other reviewers that the car park just isn't big enough - we ended up abandoning our car on a grass verge - but I guess there's not much Ramada can do about that! Overall, highly recommended. We had a great stay.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback from your recent stay and for the kind sentiments and priase for my team. Please be assured that I will pass these on to all concerned.

I do understand yours and other reviewers comments regarding the car park situation, we do have an overflow area, however, as the hotel is surrounded by the A2 and houses it is a little problematic to get it extended although we are trying to find a suitable solution!
Once again, thank you for your kind feedback and we look forward to perhaps welcoming you back on a future date

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is kept clean except for the mattress which had stains on it and the rooms are unbearably hot and are not supplied with a fan or air conditioning, there are also not enough parking spaces for the amount of guests at the hotel. Would not stay here again

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Calum E
Dear Guest
Thank you for yopur time in posting a review on your last stay with us and I am sorry that everything was not as it should have been.
What you encountered is not our normal standard and the housekeeping team have done a thorough search of all the matteress and will replace any of those that are not to the right standard so thank you for this.

I do hope that you will be able to stay again and in that way you will be able to experience the changes we have made at first hand

Bristol
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked three rooms for a one night stay recently for a family occasion.Arriving at 9.00am we were told that due to the hotel being full the previous night,there were no rooms available but that one would be got ready immediately so that we could deposit our luggage and get to our event. Lo and behold after a quick coffee the room was ready! Well done the Ramada.
Rooms are ok.On the small side but everything you need is provided.We did not eat in the main restaurant but in the morning we had fresh bacon and sausage baguettes and a cup of coffee for a fiver.Great value and served by a lovely smiling helpful waitress.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback following your recent stay with us. I am pleased you had an enjoyable stay and that my team left you with a positive experience.

I will make sure your comments are passed on to thos concerned and I hope we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future

Once again, thank you for your kind sentiments and we look forward to greeting you again shortly

London
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked a room for one night online as we could not get into the Premier Inn with our friends. We were coming down for a birthday party and did not intend to spend much time in the room so I was already baulking at having to fork out £140. I consoled myself with the thought of 4 star service etc. They wouldn't let us check in at 1230 - yes I know its a 2pm check in but most hotels I have stayed in have been more accommodating. They did take our bags but put them in plain sight next to the reception. They were still there when we checked in at 11pm. Room was ok but the huge leather office chair was wedged between the bed and the desk so you had to scramble over the bed to get to and from the toilet. Walls are extremely thin and I could hear every word my neighbour was saying. All night.

Oh and to top it off the £140 rate is without breakfast. Meanwhile my friends had a similar room in Premier Inn, also in a nice countryside setting and with a full cooked breakfast thrown in. All for £79 for a twin room.

I feel really cheated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank w62
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and post and for the constructive feedback conatained therein.
I fully take onboard your comments and where possible I will look to address these, in fact, we have already replaced the majority of the leather arm chairs with a more compact version solely to give more space within the bedrooms.
With regards to the rate you paid, our prices do change on a regular basis and the earlier people book then the cheaper the price, unfortunately, last minute bookings do tend to be of a higher nature especially when there is limited availability both within the hotel and the surrounding area.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you be in this area again as I would like to make your next stay memorable for the right reasons

Kindest regards
Neil
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitfield
Best Western Plus Dover Marina Hotel & Spa
Premier Inn Dover East Hotel
The White Cliffs Hotel
The White Cliffs Hotel
#1 of 1 in St Margaret's at Cliffe

Been to Ramada Dover? Share your experiences!