“The perfect place to base your exploration of Omepete”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moyogalpa
The American Cafe & Hotel
Ranked #6 of 21 Moyogalpa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Let me start with why I believe staying in Moyogalpa is the best choice. First you walk right off the ferry and to your hotel. The taxis are $$! on the island. Second you can rent bikes or scooters (or ATVs or Motorbikes) from a very reliable family (Bob and Simone will connect you) and is a GREAT way to see Charco Verde, Puenta Jesus Maria, and El Ojo de Agua. It is also a great starting point for climbing Concepcion. You also get a better feel for how life is for the locals on the island. The only reason to stay on the Maderas side is if you are looking for quiet and NOT wanting to travel around the island much. It is VERY time consuming to get to the Maderas side. Seeing the sights is much more convenient from Mayogalpa. I would also NOT recommend staying at Santo Domingo. Not sure why its so popular. $$ to get to, $$ to stay, and $$ to get around, and not really a beach, plus less "life". Go swimming at Ojo de Agua! Much better!

The America Cafe and Hotel simply could not have been better for us. It is very conveniently located only a few hundred yards from the ferry dock, so you can walk right past the expensive taxis. Robert and Simone are great hosts, we were welcomed with fresh lemonade from their own trees. We talked late into the night with fellow travelers, many of whom use Robert and Simone every time they return to the island. The rooms are spotless, the water hot, and the septic system works! While she does not usually do dinner Simone cooked us up some wonderful pasta that if given the chance I would highly recommend! The breakfast is wonderful as well. We felt very safe there. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are quiet and quite large!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank measrn

Reviewed 21 January 2012

We stayed at the American Cafe & Hotel in December and January and had an excellent experience each time we were there.The rooms are spacious, airy and immaculately clean, and their tiled, private bathrooms with a real hot water shower are a welcome reprieve from the grubby shared baths at other hotels. The owners have also equipped each room with an emergency power supply which came in very handy (the island has frequent power outages, brownouts and blackouts).
Robert and Simone were friendly hosts, knew the area well and had lots great suggestions for day trips around the island. The first time we stayed there, my boyfriend had just sprained his ankle walking down an uneven street and our hosts were very concerned and helpful (we ended up storing ice packs in their fridge).
The American Cafe & Hotel (Ph. # 8-645-7193) was certainly the nicest place we stayed on the island and is conveniently located near the port and other restaurants. If you're catching an early ferry Simone is up to make a good breakfast.
Highly recommended!
Allison & Michael

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We looked around and visited a few other hotels before we picked a hotel, and we chose wisely! The American Hotel was the cleanest and most comfortable hotel we could find. Robert and Simone made us feel right at home. The food was GREAT (and cheap), the room was clean (with hot water), and we felt 100% safe the entire time. They really go out of their way to help in any way they can. They have great contacts for everything and anything you might need on or off the island.
Don't forget to try the chocolate cake too! My ONLY 'complaint' (it's not really a complaint, more of a suggestion) is that the coffee is too weak. I think it's Folgers, or maybe Maxwell House, but I prefer a much stronger blend. But you can walk up to Gary's and get coffee if you want something with a little more of a kick. Simone's food is much better than Gary's though, in my opinion.
We enjoyed our stay there, and will definitely stay again if we go back to Ometepe.

Room Tip: I believe they have one room with A/C, so you might wanna book ahead of time if that's important...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2011

What a great place! First it looks a little bit like an hospital, all white, but what a great, big, and clean rooms! There was more space then I have at home. It's the only place to stay that has hot showers.

The owners took really good care of us, almost like parents. They gave good advice about tours (saved us a lot of money), a lot of other things, and serve a great breakfast. We got a piece of home made chocolate cake for free and that was more then delicious! If you can get a room, don't hesitate.

@Robert and Simone, if you have no stamps in your passport for Nicaragua (immigration office is easy to miss) and go back to the border, like we did, you will have to pay 2200 Cordoba a person and are kicked-out of the country for the next 6 months

Cheers, Bram and Willeke

Room Tip: We slept 2 days in room No. 1 and that was big enough to start a hostel in.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2011

During my first stay on the island, I was recommended this place to have good breakfast by a local guy, so myself and a friend went along and were instantly welcomed and engaged in conversation with the owners. When i moved my stay to Moyogalpa, I was staying in a bad hotel a few doors down towards the dock from American and i found solice eating my breakfast at the cafe again where i was offered a room. Once i viewed the room i immediately checked out of my bad hotel and checked in. Yeah the rooms are more pricey if you are on a budget or a solo traveller but its worth the luxury once in a while. I ended up returning to the island a second time and was welcomed back.
The rooms are HUGE and spotless with many fans and hot water showers which is great when its been raining all day, and towels included. They have security at night and although the building doesnt look much from the outside and looks too white inside the cafe area, the rooms are great and the food is good too.
I stayed there so long i felt like i was accepted as one of the expats that spend their days wandering in and out talking about their days with Bob and Simone. I even took to sitting outside with a cup of tea and chatting to bob as we watched the street life wander by!
If i ever return to Ometepe I will definately fork out the money and stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2011

My friend and I found the hotel's address on the TripAdvisor website. Robert and Simone, the owners, are welcoming and resourceful about the activities and tour guides on the island. After contacting Simone by internet, we booked a room, without any deception. The American Cafe & Hotel is located steps away from the ferry, and easy to find. The cleanliness of the large room was perfect. Also, the hot water in the shower was great. The cafe attached to the hotel is useful, offering tasty food. As both my friend and I were sick when we got to Ometepe Island, Simone took over her to take care of us. She was acting as a real mom for us, caring for our health. With Robert and Simone's assistance to book a tour, we had been able to spend 5 hours with a local guide to visit 3 different sites on the island, on the Easter's busy weekend. We highly recommend a stay at the American Cafe and Hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious and around a quiet garden.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed at Ometepe for 2 nights only.
Owners treated us like family which at times was a bit too much, but again treated us with care. As we were on our honeymoon and mostly in very nice places, this was surely the cheapest place we stayed during our trip and the stay wasn't something to write home about. Very simple room, no window curtains, ok shower, only 1 room had an AC, we didn't manage to get that room.

So service was good, the place is clean. but really don't expect too much - in general could be that Moyogalpa don't have much to offer and this might be the best place in this small town.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moyogalpa
Hostel Casa Moreno
#13 of 24 in Moyogalpa
Hostel Ibesa
Hostel Ibesa
#7 of 24 in Moyogalpa

Been to The American Cafe & Hotel? Share your experiences!