“Hospedaje Soma - what a pleasant surprise”
Review of Hospedaje Soma

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moyogalpa
Hospedaje Soma
Ranked #1 of 19 Moyogalpa B&B and Inns
Seattle
“Hospedaje Soma - what a pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Originally we weren't going to head out to Isla de Ometepe but changed plans at the last minute and I'm so glad we did. What a great unique adventure and staying at Hospedaje Soma enhanced the experience.

Hospedaje Soma has a variety of room options in the open and airy compound, and we stayed in a cabin because it had air conditioning (yes, I'm a warm weather wimp I admit). The cabin was large with plenty of space, very clean and had great beds. What more could you want?

But that's only part of the story - the other part was just the vibe and social aspect of the place. The staff was wonderful - I speak very little Spanish, but that was not an issue since they all spoke English so well.

My favorite part was dinner in the evenings - if you choose, they will make dinner right there and its served in more a communal style in a common area, so you get to interact and talk with the staff and other guests. The food was excellent - and we met other travelers from Canada, Germany and Holland. Puts things in a world view context which I enjoyed.

My only regret was that I didn't stay longer...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Greek first
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I agree with previous commentators. As a hostel, this place is top notch. Close to the main drag. Honour system for beers and drinks. Quiet, comfortable and very well kept. Pillows could use an upgrade but that is the only complaint. We stayed here prior to summiting Conception and Javier who manages the place called our guide Eric and set everything up.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

4 min walk from the town centre, this budget hotel is a great place to stay. stayed in the double with shared bathroom and when I opened the door I thought..WOW! the room was massive and super clean. there's a ceiling fan to keep u cool and the bathroom is the door next door,also very clean. The German owner wasn't' there at the time but Xavier(hopefully I got the spelling right!!) was running the place and he was a great host. very professional but friendly and with an awesome English for those who struggle with Spanish! he knew heaps and was very helpfull. we rented 2 good bikes and cycled to Chaco Verde..best bicycles on the island. if u r gonna climb the Conception this place is a very good base.two more things...fantastic breakfast and super cool dog!her name's Tricky and she s lovely!
I highly recommend this place..high standards in any aspects.
p.s.
thank you Xavier for your great hospitality.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank milkwasabadchoice19
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Clean dorm,firm beds and a relaxed atmosphere, I totally enjoyed my stay at Hospedaje Soma. The dorm has a reasonable size and the breakfast is tasty. Thanks to Javier I never got bored as he organized two wonderful excursions for me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Samantha B
Ingleside, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

For my second visit to Ometepe I didn't even consider a different location. Because there were three of us this time, we rented one of the air conditioned cabins and we were not disappointed.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by name by Javier who I knew from my previous trip during which he was my guide up Volcano Conception. Javier is keeping up the high standards at Hosp. Soma. We needed a third bed added to the cabin and this was done in minutes. The A/C worked well and he ensured we had an extra floor fan to circulate the air throughout the cabin. Plenty of hot water once you gave it a few minutes and the on-site security mitigated any worries in that regard.
Their restaurant is not currently serving dinners but its a short walk down the now-paved road into town where there is lots of choice.
Javier also arranged taxi to and from a great beach on the south side of the island, and back to the boat for all our luggage.
Thank again Javier.

Room Tip: The cabins are a bit more cost but are situated in the midst of the garden.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here for two nights. The place is located about 300 meters from the noisy main street, which made for a nice quiet location that was only a 5 minute walk from all the restaurants.
The breakfast was delicious, and massive. The home made granola really made it.
The staff were exceptionally friendly. Javier, who works as a guide there but was filling in for the owner who was on vacation, was a wonderful host, full of accurate above about things to be aware of four the rest of our trip on Ometepe and also Rio San Juan. An english student, who must be tops in his class, was keen to talk and learn as much as he could. I'm still learning Spanish, and he was a great tutor, patiently correcting my mistakes. We spent a lot of time switching back and forth between the two languages.
Highly recommended, and great value.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Large, clean room with shared balcony was super comfortable. Very friendly staff, good breakfast with yogurt, fruit, poached eggs when I requested. About 300 metres off the main street, it was quiet as well as convenient. Soft drinks and beer available on site. Games and books too! Recommend.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moyogalpa
Hotel Villa Paraiso
Hotel Villa Paraiso
#1 of 4 in Isla de Ometepe
Morgan's Rock Hacienda and Ecolodge
Finca San Juan de la Isla
Finca San Juan de la Isla
#1 of 7 in Altagracia
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and B&B
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and ...
#5 of 50 in Isla de Ometepe
El Zopilote
El Zopilote
#1 of 7 in Santa Cruz
Totoco Eco-Lodge
Totoco Eco-Lodge
#1 of 6 in Balgue

Been to Hospedaje Soma? Share your experiences!