“When you're over the rice and beans”
Review of The Cornerhouse

The Cornerhouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moyogalpa
The Cornerhouse
Ranked #3 of 21 Moyogalpa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We all love that crowded, sweaty bus ride from Managua. Hopefully, you got a seat. If you did, you might have had a baby placed on your lap or your standing neighbor’s panza (belly in Spanish) might have occasionally rubbed your ear through the ride. If you took a taxi, you probably made the right decision.

When starting your travels to Nicaragua, you may have made the pact to eat rice and beans, but after that bumpy boat ride across the lake- you really deserve to treat yourself to some vegetables. Up the hill from the port you’ll find Cornerhouse (none-the-less on a corner) which will also become your safe haven. On the menu, you’ll find almost all locally found products which Laura has taught local women to perfectly prepare. Hopefully you aren’t there on a Sunday, because they are closed. If it’s any other day, you will find the best eggs benedict in Nicaragua and even an iced latte. If you are there for lunch go for either the steak salad or veggie sandwich with one of their local fruit smoothies. The coconut oatmeal cookie was so good, it almost made me forget how much I missed chocolate in Nicaragua.

Even better than the food (which is hard to match), you will find Laura and Gary. These two will become your new best friends (if you are lucky). Those of you that don’t speak English have nothing to fear as they are an amazing resource. They are engaged in the local community and know all the local secrets of the island. On their bookshelf, they carry great souvenirs, momentos made by local artisans including local honey, banana leaf jewelry, and coin purses.

Welcome to Ometepe. Go enjoy this lovely little island! But, when heading off island, you might need to stop by and try the molasses cookie to make your forget about that sweaty ride you are about to embark on.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank NoLLondon

Reviewed 1 December 2013

My boyfriend and I visited the Corner House for 2 nights during our recent holiday to Nicaragua. It was a highlight as we really enjoyed the rooms & food and we felt it was pretty good value. Molyogalpa is not the most exciting town, but we rented motor bikes and cruised around the island and it was nice coming back to the Corner House at the end of the day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I've been to Nicaragua many times and this time my mother is travelling with me. We read the raving reviews of the Cornerhouse and tried to book it but they don't take reservations so we showed up and got a room. The room is quite plain with a ceiling fan and no a / c or mosquito net over the bed or on the windows which would have been good since you have to keep the windows open at night because of the heat - and there are lots of mosquitoes. Open windows also mean loud music from the bars across the street (Moyogalpa is an extremely sleepy town with no decent restaurant or hotel).
The bathroom was shabby: the shower tiles were worn out, there were droppings on the sink and the door looked like it could have used a coat of paint. The shower is cold and there is only one plug socket in the room which is inconvenient to charge appliances.
Internet is 20 cordobas a day and signal is weak to nonexistent. Credit cards are not accepted.
The restaurant downstairs closes at 5pm and in the evening there is only a night guard. Breakfast is included- one item from the menu and one drink (if you want coffee amd juice you're charged extra). We had the granola and yoghurt which is supposedly with honey but when I asked for honey I was informed that they didn't have any (apparently it's inside the granola). The eggs benedict are a revisited recipie with tomatoes and basil instead of ham, and toasted bread instead of english muffin. Fine, not memorable. Would be a lot better if they offered a nica breakfast of gallo pinto and egg. The coffee was a bit burned, more like cappuccino than what you typically get in Nicaragua but again not impressive.
Decent value for money I suppose but definitely not something to write home about.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Erica155
thecornerhouse_nica, Owner at The Cornerhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

We feel very fortunate that reviews like yours and your mother's have been few and far between and that the vast majority of our customers leave having had a good experience, some tasty food, and a great value for money. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations but, based on your reviews, don't know if we necessarily could have.
One of the reasons that we operate on a 'first come, first served' basis is so that guests have the opportunity to see where we're located and what our guestrooms and restaurant have to offer and then make the decision to stay with us. If having A/C, hot water, and multiple plugs in your room is high on your criteria, I would suggest inquiring about these amenities before taking a room – they are, of course, available in Nicaragua but not typical.

There are a few points about your review I would like to clarify and updates to share with future guests:
-We, the owners, live on-site and are always available for anything you may need in the evening that Javier, our nightwatchman, can't provide.
-We always have honey. Always. The granola is made with it and it's available on the side. Sorry for the mis-communication.
-Internet use has always been free for guests and, as of last month, is now free for all customers.
-Being located in the heart of Moyogalpa, there are sounds of life in the evenings and in the morning as islanders start their day. We provide ear plugs in the rooms if the sounds should be unwelcome.
-We do not accept credit card, but there are 4 banks in Moyogalpa that all accept major credit and debit cards.
-We are committed to re-tiling all of our bathrooms by May and potty training our resident geckos.
-Gallo Pinto can be found at any of the other two dozen restaurants in Moyogalpa so you're unlikely to ever find it on our menu. You also won't find the coffee you typically get in Nicaragua which is instant – ours is organic, island-grown, and roasted traditionally one pound at a time at The Cornerhouse.

We truly hope that the rest of your travels with your mother in Nicaragua were pleasant and that you enjoyed the many things this country has to offer. Laura + Gary

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

I chose the place after reading enthusiastic reviews in trip advisor and I was definitely disappointed. The place has the looking of a hostqel more than a bed and breakfast. Rooms are very small and shabby and surely need some maintenance. The bathroom is old with cold shower and insect droppings on the wash basin. There is no air conditioning and if you open the windows you get mosquitoes and lot of loud music from the disco nearby at night and trucks in the early morning. The hotel closes at five and after then you can't have anything to eat or drink (very inconvenient in a village with no decent restaurant) and there is only a night guard for any problem you may have. There's WiFi but you have to pay (pretty unusual in central America) and the signal is bad.
Also the much praised breakfast is far from memorable. You have one thing to eat and either juice or coffee and if you want both you pay extra. Final touch they don't accept credit cards.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank lauramtorino

Because your review lists all the same concerns as your daughter's above, I will not touch on every point again. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. It is our hope that by not accepting reservations, customers may arrive at The Cornerhouse, see exactly what we have available and decide whether what we offer matches their criteria.
We are very proud of the quality of food we serve in our restaurant and there are also a number of other restaurants in town offering local and Nicaraguan cuisine which we're happy to recommend. Criticizing our food but then wishing we were open in the evenings for dinner is a little unfair.
I sincerely hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in Nicaragua with your daughter - I'm sure it was a great place to explore together!

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Surprisingly, it can be difficult to find a fresh cup of coffee in Nicaragua, let alone cappuccinos or iced lattes, but not in Moyogalpa. Cornerstone always had fresh coffee grown from local coffee farms on the island and sourced all their produce and meats from local suppliers too. On top of all that, the food is perfect. Eggs Benedict, roasted vegetable sandwich, steak salad in that order... Yum!

I've spent more time eating and enjoying the company at Cornerstone than I care to admit. The food is outstanding and both the owners, Laura and Gary, truly care about providing the best service and food that they can to their customers. Gary and Laura are always a pleasure to be around and make you feel like family. They are both very knowledgeable about what to do, where to go, and who to contact on Ometepe. I can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank NicaTraveler42
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and I live on Ometepe Island and we stop in the Corner House about once a week, usually for breakfast. Sergio and Gary make me my regular Mocha Helado...better than Starbucks! My favorite part about the Corner House is that it is the starship of friendships. We eat a delicious breakfast while visiting with friends and meeting new ones. Gary and Laura are wonderful hosts...friendly...entertaining...and knowledgeable. The ambiance is cozy, with great music, magazines, comfy seating, and free wi-fi for guests. What in the world did we ever do before the Corner House existed? Don't miss this little corner of the world.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MyGypsytoes
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My husband and I ate breakfast at The Cornerhouse the day we arrived in Moyogalpa which was more like lunch time. We had Jamaican tea, banana smoothie, the omelet/toast/potatoes meal. All 2 thumbs up. The next day we left Moyogalpa to tour the island. When we returned to Moyogalpa to take the ferry back to San Jorge, we only had 50 minutes before departure. We made a bee line to The Cornerhouse and we were so happy we did. We ordered the same breakfast and by the way we also tried the home made papaya jam and it was splendid. To drink we had an Americano and an Iced Coffee. When we realized we wouldn't have time to finish our drinks we asked for some to go cups and the waitress very kindly provided them. She was super friendly and made sure to get our order in and our food in time. If you love breakfast, you cannot miss the opportunity of eating at this restaurant which is also a B&B. We did not sleep here but, I'm sure it is a great place to stay judging by the reviews.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moyogalpa
Hotel Villa Paraiso
Hotel Finca del Sol
Hotel Finca del Sol
#1 of 4 in Santa Cruz
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and B&B
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and ...
#5 of 52 in Isla de Ometepe
Hostel Casa Moreno
Hostel Casa Moreno
#2 of 21 in Moyogalpa

Been to The Cornerhouse? Share your experiences!