“Stay a few days...lovely, lovely island”
Review of Isla Ometepe

and up
Full Day Nicaragua Tour from La Fortuna
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Moyogalpa
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We enjoyed our recent stay in Ometepe, but were only there for 2 days/1 night. When we were leaving we realized we could have easily stayed another night or two if we'd had the time. Beautiful island, lots of nature (the most monkeys we saw anywhere), lovely quiet beaches. El Ciebe museum was fabulous (ancient artifacts/art and a currency building) and the farm where its located is a lovely place to hike, to see Howler Monkeys and butterflies. Also visited a local spring called Ojo de Agua which was a lovely place to swim. Would recommend staying 2-3 nights in a cottage or rustic inn on an island beach to fully enjoy the vibe. We didn't spend any time in town, other than to drive through it, but it looked worthy of some time as well.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This was my first time on the Island ! OMG, it's just beautiful ! I wouldn't say it's The most Beautiful Place on earth but it has nothing to envy to other great ''Touristic Places'' around the world.

It's a great ''Eco-Tourism'' destination. I mean : You are in the middle of a Huge Lake, on an Island with 2 volcanoes (1 very active) and you have nature all around you ! Plus : There is a very nice beach too ! Locals are nice (some seem to not like tourists but I guess it's the same in all touristic places) The Island mostly lives from the Touristic activities...

It's a must if you go to Nicaragua ! Lots of activities you can do if you are ''adventurous'' ;-)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I guess I was expecting too much from this place when people said it was the most beautiful place they have ever seen. It is true that the volcanoes rising are impressive, but the island live mostly on tourism. Prices are more than mainland, buses are rare -only 3 a day- and taxi service expensive. I am glad I went, but would not consider it the highlight of my trip. Very touristy.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Isla Ometepe has many nice areas to visit!
Rent a bike in Moyogalpa and take the four km tour to Punta Jesus Maria. This is and amazing place particularly during sun set. This is one of the few places there one can see both volcanoes.. Walk all the way out on the Punta and continue out into the water. There are waves coming from two directions and meeting each other on the punta.
Next day rent a bike again and take a tour to Charco Verde twelve km from Moyogalpa. Fantastic reserve with animals, birds and very nice views.
Move over from Moyogalpa to Playa San Domingo for visit to Oja de Agua fantastic bathing in waters coming from the volcano. Rent Kayak visit river Istian or rent horses and ride up to the top of Merida volcano?

4  Thank Jan-OlofO
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I visited this island from San Carlos, in Nicaragua. From the moment i landed, I could tell this place was awesome. My friends and I stayed at a little hostel right by the water. The beach (which is really a fresh water lake) is so serene. Sitting on the sand thinking about exactly where you are geographically was pretty cool. You're on a small island with two volcanoes in the middle of a huge lake in the middle of Nicaragua. We met some locals and ate fish at a family owned little restaurant on the beach. The next day we went for a full day hike up one of the volcanoes (the inactive one). Really great hike. Once you get to the top of the volcano, you climb down into the crater where there's now a big lake filling the crater. Truly incredible. Again, think about where you are geographically! We went swimming in the lake and it was great. The next day my friend and I rented an ATV from a local and drove around the island for a couple hours. Totally recommend making your way here. Plenty of things to do and it's unique--unlike any other place.

1  Thank 930briank