“Best of Ometepe”

Finca San Juan de la Isla
Ranked #1 of 7 Altagracia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 November 2013

If your visit to Nicaragua takes you to Ometepe, then a stay at Finca San Juan is the perfect choice. I knew I might not get back to Ometepe anytime soon so really wanted to maximize my stay on the Island and really get a full experience of what the island offers. Due to the seclusion of the island it was really nice to have a pick-up at the ferry landing to arrive at the hotel. Guests are picked up in a ranch vehicle and you feel as you landed on Fantasy Island. I visited in 2011 and most of the restoration of the Finca was complete. The layout was a main ranch house where meals are served or for just relaxing, a bunkhouse where groups of travelers could stay in very nice, but modest accomodations, and then four individual casita type rooms. I stayed in a casita which was perfectly decorated and provided first class lodgings. The bed was very comfortable, A/C was powerful, and the bathroom was unexpectedely nice. While I generally enjoy a TV, the casita did not have one which really would have been out of place. Tour guides are available to explore the island which I highly recommend to future guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Kirk L

Reviewed 16 November 2013

The property is beautiful and peaceful; our only complaint was that we could only stay one night! They knew we were arriving late, and kept the restaurant open for our arrival. We dined on the covered porch as bats buzzed past us - it was such an amazingly wonderful meal! Our room (casita) was large and lovely, and we were awoken in the middle of the night by a large male mono congo grunting outside our window. I rose before the sun and enjoyed a private stroll through the grounds and along the beach; my only company were the local cows and horses heading to the beach for a drink of water and the family of mono congo enjoying their breakfast from the fruit trees on the property. This property is lovely!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We enjoyed one night at Finca San Juan. The finca primarily grows plantains. We had a small new room with a private bathroom. This room is in block of four rooms, and it appears that the finca is building at least one additional block of these rooms, if not two. From the hammock on the back porch we had a beautiful view of the Concepcion Volcano, which was magical at sunset as we listened to howler monkeys in stereo. Then there was a massive infestation of massive ants. They came from nowhere! We were afraid they would get in our room, but they didn't, however, they could have. It seems as if they were just marching through to see what was there. We then sat at the bar and chatted with the person I assume is one of the managers. He is from the island. His English wasn't great and my Spanish wasn't great, but we managed to have some conversation and he was very nice. Our dinner was marvelous. I had a fish dish with capers and olives and my husband had beef. perhaps the best beef of our trip, though we ate a lot of beef, so it's hard to say! They were kind enough to accommodate an early breakfast for us the next morning at 5:30 as we were departing at 6am to hike Maderas. Really nice unusual place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We really enjoyed our one night stay here after a full day trip of exploring parts of Ometepe and a hike in the Maderas volcano to the San Ramon waterfall. Our hosts were very kind and despite the language barrier we were able to understand one another. The dinner was excellent. Very fresh and tasty! Our stay came with breakfast and it was delicious as well. They did a wonderful job restoring this place. It has such a great feel of authenticity that is reflective of Nicaragua!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We stayed over Christmas 2012. We had a fantastic time. The power went out (entire island) on Christmas Eve, which was super-cool! Yes, the Finca is very remote, adds to the level of tranquility. The staff was able to arrange a day hike to Maderas on very short notice. The lake was warm, and simply perfect. Our favorite part of the trip!!! Would return again ...

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We stayed there last week with our two children (9 and 7) for two nights. We were booked into the finca by our travel agency (Nicaragua Adventures) and would have never discovered it on our own. Yes, it is remote and that surprised us at first as we had recently traveled from Granada and Leon--but we loved this location. It was beautiful. So many birds and such lush plantings. It is a working farm in addition to a guest house. We had activities planned for our only full day (through Nica Adventures) so we didn't feel cut off from the rest of the island, but this was a great place to relax after the full days. At first we were a little put off regarding our distance from any restaurants but then found that the food at the finca was first rate--possibly the best we ate in Nicaragua (and Nicaraguan food was very good all around). We didn't eat dinner our first night because we had had a late lunch in the day--but our daughter hadn't eaten so we ordered her some chicken soup. The bowl was humongous and we accepted the staff member's suggestion of a the second bowl to split the meal between the two kids. We couldn't resist a taste ourselves and it was fantastic. Big chunks of tasty chicken (I swear the chicken and eggs in Nicaragua are tastier than what we get in the supermarkets here--speaks a lot for free range poultry), huge chunks of vegetables in a broth served with a side of fried plaintain chips and a bowl of rice. The fried plaintain chips were obviously made in the kitchen and were still warm. The next night we had no qualms eating at the hotel's restaurant. I ended up with their signature Cochita (sp?) fish. As tasty as anything I would find in any white-cloth restaurant anywhere. White wine sauce, capers, olives. Really good. My husband enjoyed his charrasco. Our travel company had arranged that breakfast was included with our stay. My daughter's pancakes the first morning were the lightest, fluffiest pancakes I've seen in any restaurant. The second morning we had to leave at a ridiculously early time (6:30 am), but our Nica Adventures guide spoke with the staff and arranged for them to have our breakfast ready at 6:00 (we get by pretty well with our tourist Spanish--my husband knows and understands more than I--but I'm glad we had Erick's help from Nica Adventures). We just ordered our breakfast choices the night before and everything was set for us the next morning. Btw, dragon fruit juice is yummy--and they served it ice cold.
We talked with the manager our second night there. His English is quite fluent and he described to us how the property had been bought in 2011 in dilapidated shape and how much they have worked to bring it back to its current condition. I had thought that the main lobby with porches all around had been new construction, but it is actually reconditioned with original wooden beams of such length that are no longer available in Nicaragua. Beautiful!
I did think that the bed linens could be upgraded. It was obvious that there was no pad under the sheet and I don't like to feel the mattress texture through the sheets. The bedspread was nasty polyester-nylon. I would have preferred more cotton.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JacSarMom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

First, I want to say that this BnB is very nice, with cute rooms/cabins, courteous waitstaff, and delicious food and coffee.
However, I didn't realize prior to arrival how secluded the location is. It's about a ten minute drive within the land to get to the BnB (from the main road). We were here two nights and both days, had activities that lasted into the mid-afternoon. We weren't energetic enough afterwards to figure out getting a taxi / biking / etc to get to a restaurant for dinner, and certainly aren't going to get up in the morning to travel somewhere for breakfast, so we ate at the BnB. This is fine, but then the prices are fairly high (for Nicaragua). On principal, I just have a "thing" against all hotels that charge for breakfast. I feel like that should always be included, and paying seven dollars for pancakes in Nica at your own hotel just felt like a rip-off. Especially if its a bed and breakfast...

Don't get me wrong, the food was great. We ended up getting the "milled beans" appetizer both nights (soo delicious). However, spending 70 dollars for afternoon coffee once and two dinners (no alcohol) is pretty steep for Nicaragua. I wouldn't stay at a hotel in Texas and eat in for 50% more than I could outside the hotel, and same thing here.

So if you have a car, are prepared to get transportation, or won't be bothered paying for meals that you end up sort of having to buy there because everything else is at least a half hour away, check it out.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Altagracia
Hotel Villa Paraiso
Totoco Eco-Lodge
#1 of 7 in Balgue
La Omaja Hotel and Restaurant
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and B&B
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and ...
#5 of 51 in Isla de Ometepe
Selvista Guesthouses
Selvista Guesthouses
#2 of 7 in Balgue

Been to Finca San Juan de la Isla? Share your experiences!