I really enjoyed my time at Finca del sol. Christiano and Sheri were excellent hosts, and I truly felt that the service was top notch. They helped arrange tours and taxis for us, and are very generous in sharing their experiences on the farm. They built it themselves.
The lodging itself was quite comfortable and clean. My friend and I were looking for the eco-lodge experience and that is exactly what we received. As we read ahead of time, there are dry compost toilets in the cabins. This basically means that you scoop some corn husks and saw dust onto your waste after you've done your business. I'm not a big fan of 'roughing it', and for me, this was not a problem at all. Don't be surprised if you see a little toad or salamander staring at you while you shower. These critters are everywhere!
Breakfast was great for the two mornings I spent at Finca del Sol. My understanding was that most ingredients were fresh. Delicious.
If you're up for a new experience and don't mind being parted from a/c and flushing toilets for a few nights, I strongly encourage you to check out Finca. There was limited internet access near the reception, which was about a 5 minute walk from my cabin, but honestly, it was nice separating myself from technology for a couple days. Sometimes I just enjoyed lying in the hammock attached to my cabin and staring off into the clouds and the panoramic view of the surrounding lake.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Finca del Sol is a lodge on the foothills of Volcano Madaras, near beach, hiking and restaurants. We are Eco-friendly with off grid power (no blackouts) and dry composting toilets. Bungalow with orthepedic mattress, mosquito netting, private bathroom with hot water, fans, screened, DVD player and purified drinking water with incredible sunset views of volcano & lake. Located in the tropically forested UNESCO Biosphere Reserve (wildlife) we offer a comfortable and private lodging experience. Our property is 13 Acres, and has approximately 20% of 3rd generation forest growth, with a maximum of 10 guests on the grounds at one time - reducing our environmental footprint on Mother Earth. Located in the UNESCUO Biosphere Reserva you have an opportunity to view howler monkey, parrots and a variety of other interesting critters, flora and fauna! We welcome you to our refuge created in harmony within nature. An excellent location for those interested in exploring nature & the beauty that surrounds us, from the volcano to the river, to the beach, the possibilities are endless. We are located just after the split in Santa Cruz! This is a growing tourist hub for the island and offers many restaurants, motorbike rentals and is close proximity from the beach and kite-boarding school. If you choose to hike - Maderas Volcano begins from our back yard. Finca del Sol is also located in the tropical dry forest and a perfect place from which to explore the Maderas side of the island - where you can find kyack trips up the river Istain, ride a horse or explore forests/jungle, fauna and flora. The cabins are Eco friendly with comfortable with double or queen beds, mosquito netting and private bathroom with hot water. Each cabin has its own private porch and garden setting with comfortable chairs and hammocks boasting fantastic views of Volcano Conception and Lake Cocibolca! Our bungalows are equipped with 21' screen with a DVD player and selection of films in English, fan, security box, daily maid service, purified drinking water, clean and hygienic composting toilet system and solar powered.Included in the rate is access to WIFI, complimentary beach towels,and concierge services. We organize tours up both volcanoes, horseback riding and massages for our guests, as well as put them in contact with other local activities. Our organic breakfast is optional, boasting things like an Mediterranean omelet, homemade bread and fresh tropical fruit salad. Your hosts speak English, Spanish and Italian. If you are looking for something a little different than the usual hotel experience, opt for the adventure, break the mold and dive into all that Ometepe Island and Finca del Sol has for you! See you on Ometepe!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Finca del Sol reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Finca Del Sol Hotel Santa Cruz
- Finca Del Sol Isla De Ometepe, Nicaragua - Santa Cruz