“Beautiful Ometepe”

Hotel Finca del Sol
Ranked #1 of 4 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed in Ometepe for the third time, we love the island.
This time we chose Finca del Sol.
It's an amazing place. The home of Sheri and Cristiano. They build the cabins themselves and they are so beautiful. They both are very friendly and helpful!
We stayed in the Bamboo lodge with views on the lake and the volcano: just beautiful!
The goats are walkinh over the land in search of grass ( still waitibg for the rain to come).
The garden is " natural" and very colorful.
Breakfast is great: pancakes, french toast, bread, home made jam, good coffee and fresh fruit every morning.
We had a perfect relaxing stay at Finca del Sol

Room Tip: Bambo Lodge the biggest with very nice views on th vulcano and lake
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vliegende-Hollanders

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My fiance and I recently spent three nights at Finca del Sol in Cabin La Luna (the blue cabin) and it was a beautiful experience from start to finish. First of all, the setting is idyllic in my opinion, with a clear view of the moody volcano and the lake. There are also plenty of birds, butterflies and other wildlife drifting by regularly, as well as the owners' sheep, goats and dogs. There are just a few cabins and they are nicely spaced to give an unobstructed view and privacy. The cabin itself was really sweet and comfortable. Plus there was a warm shower, which I really learned to appreciate in Nicaragua! The owners, Sheri and Cristiano, were incredibly helpful to us in helping us navigate the area and solve our various travel problems. It was a joy to talk to them as well and learn about their story developing the property in an eco-friendly way. Can't wait to come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SundewLiz
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed 4 nights at the finca and felt very comfortable and safe on the island of OMETEPE in Nicaragua. My hosts were very attentive and kind, the cabin was big, roomy with lovely decor a comfy bed and warm shower. I was impressed with the composting toilet which was completely odorless, the owners are sensitive to the environment and conservation. The grounds were natural with the entertaining goats nearby. It was short walk to the beach and cold beer, or a bike ride if I choose. The breakfast was very nice with fresh fruit and the famous Nicaragua coffee. I never got tired of the view of the grand volcano CONCEPCION from my cabin. My hosts arranged all my tours and transfers. My only request would be a stronger fan in the room. I would gladly return!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank antqjar
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Our stay at Finca del Sol was one of a kind. This farm is all natural, eco-friendly, and solar powered. We had the El Sol cottage, which was spacious and charming. The bed was very comfortable, complete with a fan right above our heads. The property is absolutely gorgeous - as you walk from the street entrance to the reception area (on a beautiful stone path), you pass all different kinds of wilderness landscape - rich, open fields of greens, forest-like area with dark soil, a goat pen, and a fruit walk. We enjoyed our vegetarian breakfast every morning with all ingredients from the farm. The location is great - it's secluded enough to feel like no one is around for miles yet you can walk to the Santo Domingo area/beach and a few restaurants nearby. If you want to hike up Volcano Maderas, the farm is practically at the base of the volcano. Sheri and Cristiano are very friendly and informative, and one of the dogs - Zero, may take it upon herself to be your tour guide and accompany you all around the island.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tfe517
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Can't fault this eco-lodge in any way. Sheri and Christiano are wonderful hosts - always happy to chat about things to do, give advice, and provide a little history to their finca and the island. Hats off to what they've accomplished here over the years.

We stayed in La Luna cabin which is spacious and had an extremely comfortable bed! It was the perfect place for us as we wanted something a little more remote, but with access to the many walks around, the beach and local restaurants.

Highly recommend when staying on this beautiful island.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I really enjoyed my time at Finca del sol. Christiano and Sheri were excellent hosts, and I truly felt that the service was top notch. They helped arrange tours and taxis for us, and are very generous in sharing their experiences on the farm. They built it themselves.

The lodging itself was quite comfortable and clean. My friend and I were looking for the eco-lodge experience and that is exactly what we received. As we read ahead of time, there are dry compost toilets in the cabins. This basically means that you scoop some corn husks and saw dust onto your waste after you've done your business. I'm not a big fan of 'roughing it', and for me, this was not a problem at all. Don't be surprised if you see a little toad or salamander staring at you while you shower. These critters are everywhere!

Breakfast was great for the two mornings I spent at Finca del Sol. My understanding was that most ingredients were fresh. Delicious.

If you're up for a new experience and don't mind being parted from a/c and flushing toilets for a few nights, I strongly encourage you to check out Finca. There was limited internet access near the reception, which was about a 5 minute walk from my cabin, but honestly, it was nice separating myself from technology for a couple days. Sometimes I just enjoyed lying in the hammock attached to my cabin and staring off into the clouds and the panoramic view of the surrounding lake.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Andy472
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I recently had the pleasure of visiting Ometepe and staying at Finca del Sol. I was with my extended family of 10. Normally there is a 2 night minimum, but Sherri made an exception because we were only on the island one night. When we booked we had read more than a few reviews, and felt we had enough information. My family is somewhat adventurous, and environmentally conscious. We were not prepared for the spartan arrangements at Finca del Sol. I want to make it clear, this is not a criticism of Sherri, or Christiano, or the property, they have built it in their vision. I do believe it is important to provide a complete description for other travelers considering where to stay on Ometepe. The term Eco-friendly lodge is thrown around quite a bit on Tripadvisor, and it's meaning varies, this is truly an Eco-lodge. There are 3 casitas here, sleeping anywhere from 2-4, reception is a short walk up the hill. Our room accommodated my family, my wife and I, and our 2 early teen children. There is an active farm, with a dozen or so entertaining goats. When we arrived is was not unusually hot, 85 F or so. We knew there was no A/C, but we were a bit surprised there were no ceiling fans, only 4-6 inch portable fans. Running water was limited to the sink and shower, the toilets were compost based, and were essentially buckets below a polished wood shelf where you would use rice husks to cover any waste. The situation became uncomfortable when you combined the heat, with the compost toilets which produced an unpleasant aroma in the rooms which we did not enjoy. At night the smell had abated somewhat, but still lingered, and with the stifling heat made our night restless. Like I said, the property is designed this way, and will suit some travelers perfectly, as you can see in some of the reviews. I will comment that the island is beautiful, and Sherri arranged a hike for us up the volcano which was conducted by experienced, friendly guides. Breakfast was delicious, and the seating area where you eat was family style and enjoyable. It was definitely a unique experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Tampa-FamilyTraveler
snpOmetepe, Manager at Hotel Finca del Sol, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Hello

Thank you for your comment, always good to know our staff does a great job with breakfast, and the guides met with your expectation. Yes our place is a real Nature lodge, which is we have tried to make clear from the website. The Bamboo Lodge, where you stayed, has a queen and bunk bed, hot water, 2 small fans, handmade mosquito netting on both beds, DVD player with a 21 inch screen, water filter, coffee table and 4 chairs, outside table and 2 chairs + 2 loungers and 2 hammocks which ensures everyone has adequate seating when they are in or out of the cabin. It also has pictures on the wall and little touches to make your time a bit more pleasant like books and games. For Nicaragua this is not considered sparse. While it does not have a mini fridge or AC neither are mentioned on our website.

Our composting toilets are maintained very clean and easy to use. A daily change system, so everyday the chamber is emptied and brought to a compost bin. From there it composts as mother nature has her way and is used on the flowers and trees. It really is the true circle of life. As some people may be uncomfortable with this idea we have taken the time to mention it on our website and in the information that all of our clients receive. If the composting toilet smelled, it was because it was not being used correctly, following the instructions on the wall and adding enough cover material (rice husks). The addition of more rice husks makes it a more solid mass reducing, if not cutting all together the smell. They are amply provided in each cabin and refilled on a daily basis. Needless to say, there are many places in the area that use composting toilets and recognize that we are in a water sensitive area.

Getting water to this (and many other) locations in Nicaragua is challenging to say the least. The infrastructure is improving over the years, however is slow compared to Florida. Did you know there are still homes here that have no running water? While few people talk about real life in Nicaragua it is something to consider, in order to recognize the blessing we have in our developed nations. With water in the shower, sink and a taps outside we feel very lucky indeed, as many other people on the island are still walking to the lake to shower & wash clothes, or they only have one tap in their yard share the water with their neighbor.

We have chose not to go with ceiling fans mainly because a ceiling fan does not move any air if you are in the bed under the mosquito netting, as they are a true canopy bed, as well unfortunately some of our guests tend to forget the fans on, making the energy consumption high and unfeasible for the solar systems we currently have. There is a small fan mounted on the inside of the mosquito netting on most of the beds which does help on warm nights. Normally it is not an issue as 10 /12 months a year we are blessed with breezes that help cool the cabin. It is also noteworthy to know that our thatch roofs and adobe walls do help considerably with the summer sunshine. We do however appreciate your comment and will take your comments into consideration.

Kindest regards, Sheri & Cristiano

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Cruz
Xalli Ometepe Beach Hotel
Xalli Ometepe Beach Hotel
#1 of 1 in Playa Santo Domingo
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and B&B
La Via Verde - Organic Farm and ...
#5 of 52 in Isla de Ometepe
#1 of 8 in Altagracia
Selvista Guesthouses
Selvista Guesthouses
#3 of 7 in Balgue

Been to Hotel Finca del Sol? Share your experiences!