All reviewspizza nightpermaculture farmcompost toiletsfree yoga classesorganic foodgreat conceptthe restaurant reception areaschool busgood vibeshomemade breada couple daysdorm bedsfruit treesbeautiful settingafter darka lot of funvolunteers
Reviewed 23 March 2014

i went in ometepe island during my nicaragua's trip and i already knew "el zopilote" from many traveller's tales...i expected a great place, i was wrong. this is definitely the best "finca" in the island!
i visited many other places in the island but zopilote is absolutely my favourite one...i supposed to stay there for a few days and in the end i've been there for 3 weeks!!!
the zopilote's philosophy it's all about eco-sustainable culture, from food (everything is homemade: bread, pizza, pasta, honey, salads...) until the sheds and services, going through many products the italian owners make (soap, coconut oil, tobacco...) respecting the island's beautiful environment.
all the people there (the owners, volunteers, yoga's teacher, workers) are very friendly and they always gives a great service.
one more thing i've experienced, zopilote is in touch with many activities you can do in the island, so if you arrange something from there, you can most of the times get a discount.
last, but not least, the beautiful bus-shop placed in the finca's entrance.
a beautiful experience in one of the most beautiful camping i've ever visited!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank puciostayla m
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This place is very nice and has a great atmosphere. Their organic food is also super good and reasonably priced. Pizza night was awesome as well. Probably the best pizza I have had in a looong time. We slept in a dorm there and were quite happy with our accommodation. If you wanna save some money, it's good to bring your own tent because there's a nice camping ground. While checking out we had some confusion with our money but the owner handled the situation very well and professionally. I ended up with a great feeling about this place and can recommend it to everyone looking for a alternative kind of place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I came to El Zopilote intending to stay a few days and liked it so much I ended up staying over two weeks.

It is a really beautiful location with great views (there are lookout towers you can climb). There is a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere, and yet they manage to keep a very good handle on things- I was very impressed by their organisation and professionalism. Their accommodation is really good value for money, I had a private cabana with a double bed for $12 per night.

The food is good and prices reasonable. Pizza night (3 times a week) is worth special mention- really high quality and delicious with reasonable prices.

They have free yoga sessions weekday mornings (plus I had extra on weekends because a guest instructor volunteered). This is on an outside platform surrounded by trees with the wind blowing- really magical. Thatch mats are provided for free, and its a really great way to start the day. They also have weekly Salsa sessions but I did not attend these.

There is also a Japanese shower which I enjoyed.

Overall I found everyone, staff and guests really pleasant, and the vibe is very chilled.

Some disadvantages/things to be aware of:

1. They dont take reservations. You have to show up and if theres availibility you can stay (this proved an advantage for me as I could extend my stay without any worry).

2. It is a moderate hike up the hill to get to the hotel/farm (took me about 10 minutes at a slow pace) - not for those with significant disabilities.

3. No self-service kitchen.

4. It incorporates the nature around it. This means you will encounter animals. There are plenty of spiders, garden snakes, lizzards and toads. On my 2nd last night I saw a mouse (or rat?) in my cabana. On my last night I saw in my cabana a boa constrictor (!!!!) - seriously - crawling through my stuff on the shelf into the wooden wall (there is a large enough gap in one section). Maybe it ate the mouse... It was about 0.8m long and 10cm thick (diameter). Later I saw a scorpion (very little one, first one I saw but apparently they are common to see).
That being said, and despite being completely freaked out about the snake, I did not have any injuries nor have I heard of anyone having injuries from this. There were barely any mosquitos.

5. I left a borrowed bicycle at the bottom of the hill chained to a tree overnight. The next morning it was missing (stolen). There was nothing to do about this. It is to a large extent my own carelessness.

Overall, I really enjoyed El Zopilote and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I stayed in the above the bakery/massage room. It was really nice and amazing value for money. Only issue is the snake I saw on my last night- ?attracted by the mice attracted by the bakery? The gap in the wall should be closed in my opinion.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I was thinking of staying here for a couple of nights, but ended up spending a week... It is just so easy to relax surrounded by jungle and great people. The food here tastes great, and sure it isn't the cheapest in town, but there is not much beating neither the atmosphere, nor sleeping in outdoor super comfy hammocks for $ 3 a night (don't worry, there are other sleeping options, but it seemed like the hammocks were more bug-free than the dorms, as well as being really cheap and comfy). You can also bring your own tent or hammock and stay for the same price.

The beach is a fifteen minute walk from the hostel, and you can also rent bikes from farms nearby to explore the island.

Just make sure you get on the right bus from Moyogolpa when getting here - most bus drivers will just say "yes" if you ask them if you're getting on the right bus. Instead, try asking them were they are heading without telling where you are going...

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ragamdam
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Under the pretente of an alternative and free spirited lifestyle, the price of food, tours and activities at the gringo rate.
Ending so paying 10$ for pasta plate because the 20pourcent is not inclued in the menu prices.
It is also impossible to use kitchen for personnal use. Best options is the local restaurant cross the street from the entrance that offer local fares at local prices (3$).
The hotel is honest qualify and i recognised the effort for minimizes the impact on environement (light/trash)

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank metlilimobile
ometepezopilote, Owner at El Zopilote, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

The price of the food are the average price for Nicaragua restaurants with dishes that are not the basic beans and rice, and even the “tipico”, costs 2,80$. Most of the products used in the kitchen are organic, the pasta and the bread (besides a lot of other things) are homemade, and still the prices does not go up 8 $. We have no idea of what is this 20 per cent rate not included on the menu, this is not true, you should and for sure you have payed exactly what is writen in the menu.
The tours to the volcanos have a cost around 7 $ per person, witch sounds good thinking that is a hiking that takes from 8 to 12 hours, and the local guide has to be paid for leading the group(in most of the other hostel they ask 20$ por person).
Besides that, the hostal offers a bunch of free activites for the guests: free yoga classes, free salsa classes, handcraft lessons, gardening, prparation of organic products… we can not understand your critic of having “gringo rates” where there is no rate i most of the thin we offer.
We are glad that you recognize the effort about the impact, and you should have in mind that is good to check the informations before post a review with unreal critics.
Daniele