All reviewspizza nightpermaculture farmcompost toiletsfree yoga classesorganic foodgreat conceptthe restaurant reception areaschool busgood vibeshomemade breada couple daysdorm bedsfruit treesbeautiful settingafter darka lot of funvolunteers
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Incredible place to stay... the hard work throghts the years is real and visible...
the Finca works very well in ecologic ways, the waters is purificated two times (dos vecez), the bathrooms haves compost sistems, there is very good production of vegetebles and they're also growning natural tobacco... and for me the real reason to stay and enjoy was the good people always are araund there and smiling... the lookout from the "miradores" are also amazing.... I really reccomand this place...

Room Tip: Mariposa is very nice
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 630Vale
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Zopilote is an amazing farm. The owners have done an astonishing job of turning a barren piece of over used land into an oasis of fertility. Add to that the incredible imagination they have for creating a diverse and artisinal setting and you can only win by going there. They also have an expansive retail range of really innovative products sourced locally or from their farm and an excellent pizza night in a wonderful setting. Deservedly popular, it makes for a really unusual and interesting place to visit, eat or stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Benedictslow
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed in el zopilote for over a week and enjoyed every second of it. We rented the 'iguana' cabana for 16 dollars a night...its very rustic but you get a king size bed and a balcony with 2 hammocks to chill out. The pasta, pizza and salads are awesome as you would expect it by an italian owned place, and I dont find it to be overpriced at all. Its good to see that at least some people in this world share a vision and make such an afford to create a sustainable place. The staff ladies are very friendly and always smiling, and it atracts just the right crowd of people... The only negative experience I had was that we booked the volcano hike for 3 people and as one of us got sick that morning and another girl was up to come with us they woulnd let her come instead, eventhough we paid for a third person anyway...but thats really the only negative thing im gonna say about and I can highly recommend this place if you choose a natural and healthy experience over luxury

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peterpan888
Reviewed 25 May 2014

During my trip through Centralamerica I stayed three nights at Ometepe Island. I decided to stay at El Zopilote because I thought it would be good to stay at an ecological place.

First the positive things at El Zopilote:
It was really hot at Ometepe Island (beginning of may), even at night. It was good that the cabins/dorms which are made of wood are open, it means fresh air comes inside the room at night. Really positive was the supply of free water for drinking.

But there are also negative points:
The worst thing is, that the water from the shower and from the hand basins near the toilet is going DIRECTLY TO THE EARTH!!!!
After a hiking or a bicycle tour most people are using a normal shower gel or normal soap. Especially the mix of sun blocker and dust from the street makes it necessary to use shower gel.
I decided to go to El Zopilote because they promised an ecological stay at their website. This promise failes if shower foam goes directly to the ground. If I decide to stay at an ecolodge I expect to have an ecological stay there, that includes also ecological showers... That there is also the possibility to buy organic tabacco or coffee or whatever doesn't make the stay more environment-friendly.

The food at the terrace restaurant was really quite expensive and the rations really small. I was missing a light switch at the upper floor of the dorm. These two small facts are not responsible for my negative rating. It's the pollution of the ground water. If they would stop to do that I would come back to El Zopilote if I visit Ometepe Island again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
ometepezopilote, Propietario at El Zopilote, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Stefan, Completely wrong....i see that you are not a expert of Grey water recycle. At El Zopilote we are true eco and we really liked to recycle the grey water from the first year we were here. From the kitchen and the shower we have a Phitodepuracion system made with stones and plants that cost 3000 usd : for sure you did not see , strange because is in the map.
Fot the sync you talk about , the water is going to swales coverd with mulch and to plants like bamboo or grass that can live with grey water.
Next time instead to write a bad review, read books like CREATE A OASIS WITH GREY WATER , from Art Ludwik. Next time get a Tour of the farm and you'll know how things work. If i dont know about i usually shut, i suggest to do the same for you.
I feel sorry because you made a bad review completily false , and i feel more sorry because you can publish it.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Cool vibes, really good restaurant with filling servings, amazing pizzas, cheap nights and all that ecofriendly! I wish i had more time to volunteer! Hiking up the vulcano was awesome, too!
Maybe next time!

Room Tip: Hammocks will require some repellend even if there are not many mosquitos!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo