“Outside Rain, Inside Sunshine!”
Review of Wind Jammer Restaurant - CLOSED

Wind Jammer Restaurant
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Cook Islands leading affordable fine dining restaurant with first class cuisine, international service and candle-lit setting. Modern Italian cuisine using the freshest produce and the highest-grade meats. Every meal is created from scratch. Desserts are top class using the best imported ingredients. An absolutely beautiful dining experience. Italian wines available too.
cambridge, nz
“Outside Rain, Inside Sunshine!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I arrived at the Crown Beach dripping wet, having been caught in a downpour. Push bikes are a fantastic way to travel in Rarotonga but perhaps not the best conveyance on a rainy evening despite the jacket I was wearing! The lovely folk at the resort, having ascertained I was there for dinner and not just taking shelter, provided me with a towel and a place for my bike. I am very grateful for their kindness.
During the 'drying process', Chef Carlo Poli happened by and I was able to introduce myself. I am a Chef Patissiere and am currently working at an Italian restaurant in Cambridge, NZ; 'Alpino Cucino e Vino'. I told him how excited I was to be coming to his restaurant as I had heard about him . . . and his food of course. It turned out we knew folk in common which is pretty special given he is in Rarotonga and I am from small-town Cambridge.
Anyway, in quick time I was seated at a lovely table in the elegant dining room. I felt perfectly comfortable being there as a solo woman diner - the lighting was intimate and each table was well appointed and presented.
The menu was extensive and the wine list carefully selected.
I chose a carpaccio entree, a lamb rack main and Chef had promised me a couple of his best for dessert. I actually forgot to order the soup I had intended - fish in saffron - but this was just as well as the 3 courses I had were ample!!
The carpaccio was beautifully balanced, 'creamy', delicate and wonderfully fresh. The lamb (medium rare) was tender, tasty and well complemented by dauphinois spuds and crispy, well seasoned vegetables. Despite being in salubrious surrounds I gnawed the bones 'til every scrap was gone. Then dessert; I had tiramisu and panna cotta. Without a word of a lie - the BEST panna cotta I have ever had. Silky, shiny, a perfect consistency with a delicacy of flavour. Stunning. The tiramisu was fabulous also.
It was lovely that Chef came into the dining room a couple of times during the evening and that he approached a number of tables. Carlo is a warm and discreet host, I liked his approach very much.
I strongly recommend Wind Jammer to all Italian food, and good food enthusiasts.
A word about the front of house service. Impeccable.
My meal cost $79 for 3 courses and a vodka martini.
Salute! Chef Carlo and his team! Thank you for a holiday highlight.

New Zealand
“One of the best dining experiences on Rarotonga”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

This restaurant is at the Crown resort on the western side of the island and wasn't far from the resort we were staying in. We ate there twice as the food was so good! The first time I had the pasta (very authentic) and the second time I had the rack of lamb which was cooked perfectly. We could see the chefs in the kitchen and all the food being brought out looked great. During our second visit the chef came out and visited the diners tables and this gave us the opportunity to compliment him about the food. He comes from Italy, so no wonder the pasta is so good! We also tried the tiramisu which was large enough for us to share and was delicious. We found the atmosphere a little quiet, but would certainly recommend this restaurant for wonderful food and service.

• Visited June 2014
Hastings
“Great food”
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

This is one of the better restaurants in RArotonga Really good fish and pasta. Lovely atmosphere Great live music

“Fabulous Meal”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Best Italian meal I have had in years..... the mushroom risotto was amazing as was the lasagne that my cousin had. Will definitely go back before I leave.

Ballarat, Australia
“Great Meal and service.”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We loved this restaurant, good prices, good food and good service. Probably one of the better restaurants we visited. Good Italian menu which tasted great.

• Visited July 2014