“Great Stay”

Coral Sands Apartments
Howick, New Zealand
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed at the Coral Sands for 5 nights including 4 of those nights in the complex alone which was very peaceful and relaxing to get away from the hussle and bussle of the bigger resorts. Bob and Karen were super hosts and told us every detail we needed to know about Rarotonga, all the good returants and activities and always stopped for chats. The set up inside the rooms was very spacious and caters for your every need incl all kitchen accessories and your basics like milk, juice, bread, fruit etc. The beach is rocky so not the best for swimming but awesome for snorkeling and the white sand beaches are only a few minutes either way so no big deal! Definately recommend Coral Sands for anyone wanting a peaceful relaxing escape, and amazing value for money!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jade_Joel2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here from Sat Mar 22 till Fri Apr 4. 13 nights all up, First time to the Cooks and not quite sure where to stay. I had initially thought about staying at a particular resort but then decided to go to this place. SO glad I picked this place! From the get go Karen was really lovely and easy to deal with, And I felt really bad for Bob as he had to pick me up at 6am from the airport since the flight from Sydney gets in SO early.

Not a hassle at all! After he picked me up he took me straight to my Apartment which was 1 so I could start sleeping off jetlag and get comfortable. He explained everything thoroughly and then gave me a local phone I could use to call them or other local numbers if needed (I will say too the games on the phone helped keep me entertained!)

After he'd left I slept and got up a few hours later.

The apartment is still relatively new as i'm assuming it's 2 older buildings they converted into brand new apartments.

It had a stovetop, Microwave, All kitchen utensils for self catering, A bar fridge which contains the fruit basket every guest gets on arrival, But not only that...I had bread, milk, orange juice.....Everything I needed!!!!! Fantastic! You also get the blender for cocktails.

The flat screen TV only has one channel which funnily enough for me broadcast p[redominantly Australian shows (I wasn't expecting that) and the NZ news nightly. hence why you also need to use their DVD library so you don't get too bored at night! And this is where I mention you also get a DVD player in your room.

Manea Foods is only 2 doors down which is great for convenience and picking up snacks/food/drinks etc (Check out their meat freezers if you're a kiwi/aussie.....a lot different to our countdown or woolworths!)

For cheaper groceries go to CITC near downtown Avarua or Foodland, Lots of NZ and Aussie products as well as Indonesian which I didn't expect.

The bedroom was nicely presented... It's just my personal preference but I did find the bed just a little hard for my liking....Maybe slightly softer mattresses? You also have fans and the option of paying extra for an air conditioner although in my 2 weeks there even at 32 degrees I didn't feel the need for it.

The bathroom contained a little starter pack including Rarotonga shampoo/soap etc and was nicely presented

The shower had AMAZING water pressure and I was very happy with it!!!!

Some places are in walking distance such as Manuia Beach Resort, Edgewater, Crown etc which also leads to a few stand alone restaurants. But other than that you can catch the clockwise or anti clockwise buses ($30 NZ for a 10 trip I recommend) which go every 30 mins to an hour depending on the time of day or you can hire a scooter or electric bike...I recommend Polynesian Rentals.

The beach is gorgeous but rocky so you'll definitely need reef shoes! Fortunately Bob and Karen have you covered as they have a full DVD library for all guests (My only advice is maybe more sitcom DVDs) which also has books, Snorkel gear and reef shoes for all guests use. be aware on the beach you will also come across stray dogs...fortunately for this dog person most were friendly! Just watch they don't follow you back as one did to me one night!

You also have a laundry on site and a clothes line to dry as well as a BBQ area. The pool is great for a swim and open till 9pm

Tour wise I HIGHLY recommend the Aitutaki day tour but I also think the Safari tour and cultural shows are worth a look if you haven't been before.

I didn't meet Karen until a few days after I arrived but she's just as friendly as Bob and throughout my stay both would stop for chats and are very friendly and warm people and well suited to running these apartments! They would also drop things like Bananas off to me every few days freshly picked and change my sheets and empty my bins every few days....You also have bins and recycle bins outside.

My fellow neighbours all seemed like great people and we would all say hi and have the odd chat, Bit of a mixture age wise and everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Bob very kindly took me to the airport for my flight back to Sydney and made sure I had enjoyed my stay and wished me well.

In summary Rarotonga is the kind of island where you'll be relatively central no matter where you stay and this is a fantastic complex that I would recommend again and again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Harvsman
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I stayed 8 nights at the Coral Sands from the 31st March - 7th April 2014. Bob and Karen are the most hospitable hosts. Very friendly, always there when we needed anything. Self contained apartments are great when you want to cook your own food, which is cheaper than always eating out. Excellent facilities, with the pool outside your door and the beach just steps away. Would definitely recommend to people travelling to Rarotonga.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fayfrueanvaai
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Recently got back from Rarotonga and enjoyed my stay at Coral Sands. Bob who we were dealing with during our trip was great.
The apartment was a great size for me and my friends very spacious and clean. Had all the facilities needed for the trip and very handy to the beach.
I have already recommended this place to friends and family and if I return to Rarotonga, I would be more than happy to stay here again.
Thank you once again and already missing Apartment 5!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sylvia H
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I stayed at Coral Sands for 11 nights while I was in the Cook Islands on business. In the mostly overpriced Cook Islands accommodation market this place is a jewel. Spotlessly clean, comfortable and spacious, these units have all you need to have an enjoyable stay. BBQ facilities and pool plus direct beach access and only 5 k away fro the airport and main township. A great place to relax and soak up the Cook Islands sunshine

Bob and Karen are great hosts and went to lengths to ensure that our amended arrangements were taken care of.

Coral Sands would be my recommendation to anyone preferring self catering accommodation to the limitations of resort accommodation.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank BobM51
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We really enjoyed our 5 nights at Coral Sands. Bob and Karen made us very welcome. The unit was spotless and comfortable. We did enjoy the fresh fruit etc that was waiting for us for our breakfast. We have already told our friends and relations to ask us where to stay before they head towards Rarotonga!

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MarianF22
Bay of Islands
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We had an amazing time staying here. Thank you Bob & Karen for your wonderful hospitality. Totally private with a wonderful lagoon down the end of the drive. Everything was spotless & the lovely welcome at the airport was fantastic. Thank you once again, & we already have recommended this property to our friends who also said they had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Everything is fabulous.