“Rarotonga Backpackers is by far the worst place I have ever visited.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Arorangi
Rarotonga Backpackers
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Room was small and very dirty! Dirty sheets, towels. I found bugs in my bed and I couldn't sleep. In bathroom when I opened the tap, water was coming out as a fountain. I tried to stop the leak but that doesn't work. Only good thing was the price for room- it's lower then you can find in other places, but it should be much lower because of all these problems. In next time I'll pay more and will find another place. Rarotonga Backpackers is by far the worst place I have ever visited.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank SherXan

Reviewed 7 February 2013

We stayed there for 4 nights in January.
Room and toilet was dirty and weren't cleaned during our stay.
Our transfer from the airport we asked through Rarotonga Backpackers never showed up, and we were unable to get to the hotel after midnight.
This place is not safe - my wallet and credit cards were stolen from my room at night when we were sleeping. When I realised my stuff were stolen I went to the receptionist to inform them about incident - they are don't care about it(((
I do not recomend staying in Rarotonga Backpackers.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Maria K
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We spent a week at the backpackers and booked a private double beach hut which was located on the sand, behind the beach bungalows on stilts. The backpackers itself has all the usual facilities, a pool, kitchen and bbq and in the beach huts are a kettle, toaster, fridge and some utensils. Outside each hut is a pub bench to enjoy your breakfast on. The hut had one double bed and a single bed and a ceiling fan, we were in hut 4 and it was very hot at night but reception kindly let us use a fan as the ceiling fan wasnt really cutting it. There are some old and slightly broken sun loungers in the vicinity and some wonderful hammocks to relax in and watch the sunset.

If you stay in a beach hut there is a little wooden safety box located at the bottom of the cupboard that houses all the crockery and utensils (its tucked away so get on your hands and knees to find it), you just need to bring your own lock and key, they are a little fiddly to get shut but if you've got any ounce of sense you will use it to ensure the safety of your valuables, otherwise you can hire a locker in the main building for 10 dollars. There are signs all other the place stating that you should be careful and hide your valuables and any traveller should know this basic rule, especially when you are staying in a backpackers in a hut right on the beach. Its not a 5 star resort with a gated entrance, you have to be on your guard otherwise it will be your fault if you have something stolen. We think it's very unfair to give somewhere a bad review when it is down to your own personal lack of care and safety that you have something stolen.

There is a washer that costs 4 dollars and lots of washing line space. The washer takes about 25 minutes and washes on a cold cycle only. There is a tv lounge with a pool table but we didnt use them. There is also a free phone in the living area for local calls only.

We arrived at midnight from NZ and were collected by the shuttle, the backpackers is about 10 minutes from the airport. Our driver had our key and showed us to the hut. The following morning we went to reception to do all the necessary paperwork etc and were warmly welcomed by Dernice who was so helpful and friendly to us during our stay, nothing was too much trouble.

The pool was great as you cant really swim in the ocean by the backpackers, you can sit in the sea as there is a small clearing but otherwise there are lots of rocks, bring swimming shoes! The only really good place to swim is Muri Lagoon so unless you actually book to stay in Muri, you should be prepared to have to get the bus or hire a car, scooter or bicycle. We knew this before we came but the backpackers is such good value we couldnt afford to stay elsewhere.

We hired bikes from the shop across the road, which doesnt always look open but you can walk around to the house to get assistance. We hired two bikes for 5 days for 50 dollars each. The island is 32km around and we cycled it in only a few hours. The cycle from the backpackers to Muri is about 35 minutes. Its great to cycle on the island, its safe and a really chilled out way to see everything.

The backpackers is a 5 minute walk from the nearest shop and other hotel, Castaway, that serves food. You can also walk or cycle 1km to another hotel that serves lovely food and has a great beach called Aro'a Beachside Inn. For a big food shop you will have to catch the bus into the main town. A 10 trip bus pass is 25 dollars, i think each single is around 4 dollars. There are 2 buses that go from outside the backpackers, one anti clockwise, one clockwise. Very good service.

We were very happy with our stay at the backpackers and would recommend it to fellow travellers, we especially enjoyed befriending the one eyed puppy that wanders around the area, she is a stray but is really friendly so of you see her give her a pat, she will follow you on a walk down the beach and play catch with a stick and loves a good belly rub, she is gentle and non threatening and is only looking for a bite to eat and some love.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jason W
Reviewed 1 February 2013

I spent 3 days in this place. This hotel has very simple rooms and service, but I knew it before. Location not perfect, but normal. Beach is not good and you need to go to the left for 10-15 minutes to good place, but it's also not a big problem.The worst thing was that my money and credit cards was stolen from the hotel room. I spoke with management only to hear they can't help and it's our problem. I'll recommend to find other place for vacation

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MoscowKatrin
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We're young couple going to the Cook Islands to spend our holidays in paradise, but we chose wrong place for that((
Free transfer from the airport wasn't provided despite confirmation from reception 1 day before arrival.. We spent a lot of time at the airport for waiting and after took taxi to Rarotonga Backpackers, but reception was closed and we could not stay in a hotel on the first night and had to find another place. We spent huge amount for taxi and for night in other place.
The next day we were able to check in to the Rarotonga Backpackers into the Beach hut. And it was the only good news for this day. Next, some disappointment:
Towels and sheets wasn't clean. The sink was broken - pouring water on the floor. We were even flooded the first night! Beach is not good - many rocks. Water in swimming pool was dirty and muddy.
You should go at least 500meters to find good place for swim. It's better to catch the bus to Muri - best beach ever!!!
Only one place to eat - 350meters to the right from Rarotonga Backpackers - Castaway Resort, but it's pretty nice and not expensive.
I'm not recommend this place even for backpackers, there you can find much better places for sure.

Room Tip: Better to find any place next to Muri beach
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eromenskiy
Reviewed 17 November 2012

We stayed in the studio (cottage) at O'oa Beach in November 2012. What a splendid pleasure the experience was with the reef and beach on the doorstep and the facilities which were more than adequate including a bbq. The coconut and pawpaw trees around the site, the flock of free range chooks, the neighbours' friendly dogs and the congenial hosts Paul and Rebecca (and their own flock :)) all contributed to a private relaxing tropical ambience which we are definitely looking forward to repeating at the earliest possible time.
There are dairies within 100m either side of the site and a larger food market with a good variety of groceries, fruit and vegetables at reasonable prices about 500m away.
We hired a scooter from Backpackers at as good a rate as anywhere else in Raro.
All in all, great value for money and highly recommended for budget aware travellers (e.g. airfares and 9 nights accommodation cost $1550.00 + $100.00 7 day scooter hire + $110.00 departure tax for the 2 of us!).
Thanks Paul and Rebecca, regards Steve and Jane

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was working at the resort down the road and dont really like the big resort thing...so I hired a car the first day to find a place. I had a low expectation to be fair and was shown the cheap room..after asking for something a little better I was walked over to the bures on the beach... These we perfect for me...fully self contained, right on the water with an elevated view.

The price was great and I had a good stay. The wireless did not reach the front rooms which was a problem for me, after all I was supposed to be working.

Room Tip: Try for beach front bures....as you look towards the beach the far right hand side one is best.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arorangi
Aro'a Beachside Inn
Manea Beach Villas
Manea Beach Villas
#24 of 79 in Rarotonga
The Black Pearl at Puaikura

Been to Rarotonga Backpackers? Share your experiences!