Orange Elephant Backpackers
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
  • Breakfast included
Dolphin Dance Lodge(Port Elizabeth)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$44
US$61
US$49
Priceline
The King Edward Hotel(Port Elizabeth)
US$55
US$51
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Paxton Hotel(Port Elizabeth)
US$99
US$76
Agoda.com
Sir Roys At The Sea(Port Elizabeth)
US$80
Bishops Inn(Port Elizabeth)
US$55
US$46
  • Pool
Humewood Hotel(Port Elizabeth)
US$108
  • Breakfast included
The Windermere by Mantis(Port Elizabeth)
US$145
All reviewsgreat pizzacheetah trackingaddo elephant national parkdorm roomday tourreception areaperfect locationvisiting addonice stayhostelshuttlewifiguideanimalsbatobusaccommodationvehicle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This place is awesome! We stayed in a room for 4, with a semi open bathroom ensuite. Very clean, lovely room, good food, very friendly staff, awesome location.
They even have an outside bathroom & toilet if you're feeling adventurous. Absolutely loved staying here!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Worldtraveleratheart
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed for one night in the dorm hut.

Pros
- did the 1/2 day Addo park tour - great time! Our tour guide was very knowledgable and entertaining
- lots of secure parking
- bar is nice and spacious
- staff is great and very helpful
- good restaurant about 5 mins down the road
- free breakfast of toast, cereal, tea, and coffee
- self serve kitchen is very clean
- had a fire going next to the bar during the evening

Cons
- if you stay in the dorm, you're not allowed to use the bathrooms inside the main building. You have to use the toilet and showers outdoors (which sucks if it's freezing out)
- no electrical outlets in the dorm
- free wifi at the bar but not the greatest quality

Room Tip: Don't stay in the dorms if you can help it. Book the private rooms, it's worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
OrangeEle, Owner at Orange Elephant Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Hi Michelle

I am appalled to hear someone told you that you cannot use the other bathrooms on the property. I must apologize for that on behalf of everybody here.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I have dealt with the issue.

All our guests are more than welcome to use any of the communal bathrooms at any time here at the Orange Elephant.
I am really glad to hear you had a great tour in the Park and we could show you the amazing Elephants we have here in Addo.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We had booked the Addo 2 park safari tour, but since I needed medical attention (a nasty bug I caught at home required me to be on IV twice a day) I thought we would have to cancel the tour.
I asked John (the owner) for an alternative, and he got right on to it: he must have phoned every hospital, doctor and medical ward in the area so that I could enjoy the tour (did I ever!) and get the medical attention I so needed (he even drove me over and waited patiently).
The B&B in Cradock – if you take the 2 Park tour – is a lovely holiday cottage, very modern and comfortable.
Addo Backpackers is a home away from home and I just wish we could have stayed there longer: the owners and staff are super friendly. The pub/restaurant is away from the main lodgings (no noise at night, for the not so young) and all buildings are set in a lovely garden with vegetable plot, subdivised so that each pavilion is set in a secluded area.
We had a very spacious room (a free upgrade!) with bathroom, nicely decorated (there is definitely an artist in the house) with masses of wardrobe space and comfortable beds.
The tours are great: we saw lots of elephants (they come very close too), lions, cheetahs, rhinos and lots more. Incredible!
They offer a shuttle service to Port Elizabeth (and John – again – waits patiently if your bus runs late, for his motto is: you have the watch, we have the time).
Thanks to all of you at Addo Backpackers!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anne-Marie R
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I stayed in this backpackers whilst touring South Africa and can highly recommend it to anyone. This is a family run place that has a nice feeling the moment you walk in. The owners are incredibly friendly and willing to offer advice on almost anything, and will ensure you get the most out of your stay in Addo. In terms of location, it's just 8km from the park and there's a fairly decent restaurant just 5 mins walk from the place. I'd recommend spending a day in the park and also spending some time chilling at the hostel during the day with a good book. There's plenty of nice seating areas and one of the staff are bound to be around to provide you with company.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Just come back from a fabulous trip to SA. Started off at the Addo Elephant Park staying at the Orange Elephant. John met us at the airport and made us feel very welcome. We had the ensuite room which was huge and very comfortable. The team arranged our trip to the Cheetah Santuary (recommended) and the full day tour of the Elephant Park which included lunch. Our lovely driver was knowledgable and managed to get us in the right places at just the right time for some fantastic elephant encounters! We were directed to the Reptile Santuary - just taken over by a lovely couple, who dumped a gekko in our hands almost as soon as we walked in. Great experience holding snakes and even a baby meerkat! The Orange Elephant team fed us in the evening and breakfast was available to help yourself or if you wanted something a bit more substantial you could use the large kitchen to cook your own food. Pub in the grounds serves great pizza and cold beer! Fantastic value for money.

Room Tip: Variety of rooms available - we had the one and only en suite.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kckm
OrangeEle, Owner at Orange Elephant Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Always a pleasure to help. I am glad you managed to check in on your flight and if you do come back to this area we would love to host you here and show you folk true South African hospitality.