“Great Value and Friendly People”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Addo
Orange Elephant Backpackers
Ranked #6 of 11 Speciality Lodging in Addo
Reviewed 8 March 2014

My wife and I stayed there while visiting Addo National Park. Our stay was pleasant and what we expected. The staff were very friendly and honest and the guide to our safari was very knowledgable. Super Saturday Night Dinner! The property was well kept and it felt more like staying at a friend's house than at a backpacker which for us is a plus. Thanks John and Conrad! The Mexican and the German will definitely come back. R and C.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richard S

Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I stayed here a few weeks ago and had a great time. Friendly staff who were so welcoming. I misplaced my phone and John, the owner, went out his way to help me find it, even searching my vehicle with me. Orange Elephant is ideally situated next to Addo Elephant park and their staff are all fanatic about elephants and wildlife so you'll get lots of good tips and help from them. Neil Clayton, Amapondo Backpackers, Wild Coast

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amapondo
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for 4nights and absolutely loved it. We visited the elephant park and our guide was fantastic, also went to the cheetah sanctuary and had the same guide who was Oman again fantastic. John the owner is very funny and friendly :-) thank you to the volunteers who were always up for a chat and to help. Would definitely visit again. Charlotte and Chris

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Orange Elephant backpackers is the perfect location for a trip to Addo Elephant Park & the nearby reptile sanctuary. They will help arrange your on-going itinerary & can organise visits to Mountain Zebra Nat.Pk - in fact nothing is too much trouble . You help yourselves to free breakfast & enjoy a traditional South African 'Potjie' for dinner, while relaxing in the bar.. Thank you, thank you, thank you to John, Cheryl Josh & Caitlin - perfect hosts, who always make us feel welcome & at home :)
Karl & Mandy

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jembjos
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This place is awesome! We stayed in a room for 4, with a semi open bathroom ensuite. Very clean, lovely room, good food, very friendly staff, awesome location.
They even have an outside bathroom & toilet if you're feeling adventurous. Absolutely loved staying here!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Worldtraveleratheart
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Stayed for one night in the dorm hut.

Pros
- did the 1/2 day Addo park tour - great time! Our tour guide was very knowledgable and entertaining
- lots of secure parking
- bar is nice and spacious
- staff is great and very helpful
- good restaurant about 5 mins down the road
- free breakfast of toast, cereal, tea, and coffee
- self serve kitchen is very clean
- had a fire going next to the bar during the evening

Cons
- if you stay in the dorm, you're not allowed to use the bathrooms inside the main building. You have to use the toilet and showers outdoors (which sucks if it's freezing out)
- no electrical outlets in the dorm
- free wifi at the bar but not the greatest quality

Room Tip: Don't stay in the dorms if you can help it. Book the private rooms, it's worth the extra mon...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
OrangeEle, Owner at Orange Elephant Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Hi Michelle

I am appalled to hear someone told you that you cannot use the other bathrooms on the property. I must apologize for that on behalf of everybody here.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I have dealt with the issue.

All our guests are more than welcome to use any of the communal bathrooms at any time here at the Orange Elephant.
I am really glad to hear you had a great tour in the Park and we could show you the amazing Elephants we have here in Addo.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We had booked the Addo 2 park safari tour, but since I needed medical attention (a nasty bug I caught at home required me to be on IV twice a day) I thought we would have to cancel the tour.
I asked John (the owner) for an alternative, and he got right on to it: he must have phoned every hospital, doctor and medical ward in the area so that I could enjoy the tour (did I ever!) and get the medical attention I so needed (he even drove me over and waited patiently).
The B&B in Cradock – if you take the 2 Park tour – is a lovely holiday cottage, very modern and comfortable.
Addo Backpackers is a home away from home and I just wish we could have stayed there longer: the owners and staff are super friendly. The pub/restaurant is away from the main lodgings (no noise at night, for the not so young) and all buildings are set in a lovely garden with vegetable plot, subdivised so that each pavilion is set in a secluded area.
We had a very spacious room (a free upgrade!) with bathroom, nicely decorated (there is definitely an artist in the house) with masses of wardrobe space and comfortable beds.
The tours are great: we saw lots of elephants (they come very close too), lions, cheetahs, rhinos and lots more. Incredible!
They offer a shuttle service to Port Elizabeth (and John – again – waits patiently if your bus runs late, for his motto is: you have the watch, we have the time).
Thanks to all of you at Addo Backpackers!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends