“Outstanding experience”

Ranked #3 of 21 Addo B&B and Inns
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Outstanding experience”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We had the most pleasant experience at this lodge despite worst weather ever in the Eastern Cape. Here you can take a walk on the beautiful game farm, spent hours watching birds or just enjoy the views or you can enjoy a glass of good wine with host Archie and his wife Marietjie. The staff were extremely well trained, very professionally and so helpful. Suites are spacious and tastefully decorated with balcony over looking the Sundays River valley. Each with huge bathrooms, outdoor shower - very private and romantic. Breakfasts are served in restaurant on premises with own chef. It is tastefully prepared and divine also with ambiance and views to die for. Absolute worth a visit and worth every cent!! Thanks to great hosts!! You make us feel proudly South Africa!! Well done and congratulations. You have accomplished something very special. This place is highly recommended!! You will always remember your stay at Hitgeheim. I will definitely be back!!Carin

Room Tip: Room 1 is most private and most popular, but all 8 rooms are quiet and have special features.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

On a restricted timeframe, we only had two nights in the Hitgeheim Lodge but it was a great decision. Archie and team are such wonderful hosts with lovely spacious and quiet african style bungalows. You will also receive all the service and attention anyone could ask for, not to mention the fantastic breakfasts and food to treat you palate. The bungalows are perched on the edge of hills overlooking the lush river valley below and on short walks from the Lodge we saw plenty of game. Archie goes out of his way to advise the best activities in the Addo area, so make sure you seek his wealth of knowledge. Hitgeheim won't disappoint....enjoy :-)

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex J
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I got started late in planning a family vacation for next December, and when I contacted Archie about staying at Hitgeheim Country Lodge, he did not have room for us. In spite of that, he offered me countless tips on best ways to view wildlife in his area--how to plan a stay to relax and also get the most out of our time at Addo and its environs. He even proposed an alternative itinerary for us that would have enabled us to spend three days at Hitgeheim. Much as I tried to make it work, however, it was simply impossible. Archie never lost patience with me, even as we exchanged daily emails for nearly two weeks. At the end, when I thanked him and expressed my regrets, he could not have been more gracious. He wished us well and said that he was only sorry that he wouldn't have a chance to meet us. Although I have traveled extensively, I have never encountered hospitality like that before.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Cynthia471
Knysna
Reviewed 5 June 2012

With an airstrip on the property, the lodge is a great getaway for anyone with an airplane or with access to an airplane. The airstrip is in good condition and security for parked airplanes is no problem. Archie Hitge is a pilot himself and always happy to talk flying with anyone interested. I took our C-182 up to his lodge this past weekend and enjoyed a terrific overnight with the Hitge's and the staff. Next day I flew back to Plettenberg and what was a 4hr drive became a 1 hr flight...a great way to get next door to Addo National Park and enjoy luxurious accommodations in the process. For you who fly, make it a point to stop by - you won't regret it.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Fremantle, WA
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I chose Hitgeheim based on other Trip Advisor reviews and so pleased I did. It is a beautiful place to stay, the main lodge has the most amazing views over the valley below - the perfect place to sit and enjoy breakfast or a sundowner on the deck.

The rooms are all individual chalets so you have complete privacy and they are beautiful inside - modern, country-retreat style with huge wet-room shower and bath and separate toilet, the sunrise streamed into the room and bathroom on our first morning - the perfect start to a perfect day!

We did the recommended morning Addo Game Drive from the lodge and afternoon/evening Game Drive at Schotia Safaris - it really is the way to do it, both are very different and brilliant experiences.

The food is wonderful, and the staff Kay, Andrew and Donald were outstanding, they really do spoil you. The owner Archie is great too, very welcoming and laid-back and all are willing to do whatever they can to help.

I highly recommend this place if you are looking for a luxury treat in Addo!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Aarhus, Denmark
Reviewed 7 April 2012

An unplanned and stressful circumstance took place during our trip where my husband and I ended up having to look for alternative accommodations. We wanted to be close to ADDO National Elephant Park. I found Hitgeheim Country Lodge on the internet and once I saw their photo gallery, I knew this is where we needed to be. I called right away and after speaking with Archie, I had a feeling that this was going to end up being the best thing that ever happened to us in all of our travels. As soon as we turned into the drive, greeted by an ostrich, we started laughing. Upon our arrival Kaye poured us a glass of delicious white wine while we chilled out on the plush sofas, soaking in the views of the beautiful citrus orchards nestled between the stunning valley countryside. Archie greeted us at dinner, giving me a chance to personal thank him. What meant the most to us is when I asked him if it was possible for us to stay on the grounds beyond our check-out the next day as our plane departed at 7pm. His response, "you have your chalet as long as you want." Our stress just melted away... we have never felt so grateful and relaxed in our lives. To Archie, his beautiful wife, Marietjie and the staff... THANK YOU for the best memories my husband and I have made in our 13 years together.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Perfect rooms, perfect place to have sundowners. Food is great but ambience could do better!
Safari's wel organised. But if you have time in your shedule then go to the krugerpark! I loved it but it felt like going on a safari in a zoo without being negative!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank erwinatc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Addo
Woodall Country House and Spa
De Old Drift Guest Farm
River Bend Lodge
River Bend Lodge
#3 of 12 in Addo Elephant National Park

Been to Hitgeheim Country Lodge? Share your experiences!