“stay at chrislin, you will love it!”

Chrislin African Lodge
Ranked #5 of 22 Addo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We spent two nights at the Lodge and loved it. The rooms were extremely comfortable and clean, food was excellent, plenty of it.We went on 2 safaris,one with a guide from the Addo Park and one from Crisscross, both were good but the Crisscross guide from the Lodge was superb, knowledgeable and had an excellent sense of humour.The whole place is welcoming, relaxing child friendly and just brilliant. When we get some money together, we will return!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 December 2012

Wow. I have officially just joined TripAdvisor to be able to write a review of Chrislin. My mom and I just returned to Cape Town from Addo and are missing Chrislin and the crew there already.

I am currently sailing around the world and my mom flew out to meet me in South Africa for the holidays . . . and Chrislin MADE our trip!!! We stayed there for 3 nights and could have stayed at least another 3!

The Pickles family that runs the lodge have to be some of the nicest people we have ever met. Since it was just my mom and I travelling, they invited us to eat dinners with them and made us just feel like part of the family.

Sneezewoods is the dining venue on the property run my Lin's daughter-in-law, Margaret, and the food is JUST spectacular!!! We looked forward to returning each evening for the great atmosphere and delicious dinners that you could enjoy over wine for hours!!!

The traditional huts they have built on the property are absolutely beautiful! My mom and I have been staying in 5 star resorts for her entire vacation and although Chrislin is does not have all the luxury of a 5 star resort, it was by far our favorite experience yet! The huts are a beautiful one-of-a-kind experience and it is that personal touch that every traveller is looking for. (Although I would try and reserve a hut with air-con during the summer months, it made a HUGE difference, especially for my mom). However, there is a lovely pool and outdoor shower with lounge area that you can cool down in the heat of the day if need be.

Since my mom and I are last minute planners and hadn't reserved a rental car, we had to travel by plane to Port Elizabeth and Chrislin arranged all of our transfers from there on out. They even have Crisscross Adventures supported out of Chrislin that is the best way to explore Addo National Park and the surrounding area. *** Trust me, we went with Crisscross guides as well as guides from Addo National Park and there was NO comparison. The Crisscross guides are THE BEST! So passionate and really give you a personal experience. Chrislin can arrange all the tours with them. They make everything SO easy!!!!

South Africa is a long journey from California but my mom and I have already said we are coming back to Chrislin without a doubt!!! It is honestly worth flying to Port Elizabeth for!!!!!

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for one of the "superior" huts with air-con. If that is not avail...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
chrislinafricanlodge, Owner at Chrislin African Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2013

Thank you so much for the wonderful review:) So lovely meeting people like you.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

We spent two nights(not enough)here.Both nights ate wonderful meals prepared by chef Elvis...lovely atmoshere where guests sit back,rrlax and enjoy each others company.Breakfeast are made to order and very nicely presented.Bernadine arranged our safaris and was very helpful....will go back...even the dogs made us welcome!!!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I stayed here with friends for a wedding that was at the venue. We stayed two nights. It is such a lovely spot, very quiet. The staff were fantastic, the overall feel was very relaxed. The room was well set up and had plenty of space. The food on the Friday night was great and good value. It's a short drive from Addo which is an added bonus. What a fun wedding at a perfect location!

Reviewed 14 December 2012

I was fortunate enough to get a booking for my daughter's wedding at Sneezewoods, & to spend 2 memorable days at Chrislin Lodge. I must commend all the staff at Chrislin for their excellent, caring service. Margaret Pickles & her staff were absolute stars, taking care of every need with pleasure. The accommodation in thatched cottages is simple (African bush theme), but clean & comfortable. We were in cottage 4 which was right on the end, 20m from the sparkling pool. This particular cottage is not air-conditioned (some are), but the overhead fan worked a treat during the balmy December night.
On Friday night Margaret organised a prepared braai by the poolside for the wedding guests. This was such an ice-breaker, & gave everyone the opportunity to get to know one another prior to the big day.
On Saturday morning Christopher Pickles & his team took 2 groups of guests who overnighted there, on a 3-4hr game drive into the Addo Elephant Park, which is less than 10 km away.

The horseshoe-shaped (thatched) wedding venue was a revelation, shelterd from wind & seated 90 of our guests, with ease. It was beautifully decorated, the service was spot-on, & a large log fire surround by ottomans burned on a designated place on the lawn. What an evening. It could not have been a been better. Wish I had a second daughter......

Room Tip: In my opinion the only thing lacking in the room was more hanging space.
Reviewed 10 December 2012

My friends and I stayed at Chrislin for 2 nights as we were there for a wedding. The accommodation, staff and setting was fantastic. The room was spacious and had everything we needed, the breakfast was delicious and it was only a short drive away from the Addo Park. Very relaxing place and I would definitely recommend staying here.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

We loved staying at this lodge. It's cheaper than staying in the actual Addo Elephant Park and more comfortable. The food and service was excellent. Highly recommended. Only a fifteen minute drive from the game park and close to a few good restaurants, although the dinner served at the lodge is outstanding.

Room Tip: As for an Orchard room, slightly more expensive but worth it.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Greg L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Addo
Africanos Country Estate
De Old Drift Guest Farm
River Bend Lodge
River Bend Lodge
#3 of 12 in Addo Elephant National Park

Been to Chrislin African Lodge? Share your experiences!