“My favorite experience in all of Panama” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Anbabnega Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carti Tupile
Anbabnega Lodge
New York City, New York
“My favorite experience in all of Panama”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2013

I'll start by saying this place isn't for everyone. If you're going to whine about things like electricity or cry because you don't have Western-style lodging, then you really shouldn't stay here. However, if you are open-minded and can handle nature and an interesting culture for a few, then try it out. It was my favorite experience in Panama.

I traveled to Panama as a solo female. I booked online through the Lodge's site. At 4 am, I was picked up in a 4 x 4 at my hotel in Panama City, taken through the rainforest, and onto Kuna Yala land. We arrived at the dock to Carti Tupile, where there is a tiny waiting area for Kunas to travel to and from the little islands in the San Blas archipelago, which is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. The Kuna are an amazing, proud people, and live true to their culture. As a Westerner, you do feel out of place, but in a fantastic, humbling sort of way. My driver waited with me until a young Kuna guy picked me up in his canoe. Landed on one of the island, Carti Tupile, which was so small, you could walk the whole of it in 5 minutes or so. Walking on dirt roads, we passed by huts and a school and a tiny store to the back of the island, to the lodge. The lodge has a bathroom, which isn't always functional, but welcome to the islands, man. The bed was comfortable enough and I loved the view, and the balcony. There was a parrot walking around but it's not dangerous. Hung out with Antonio and Pepe.

Pepe took me around to the other islands in the canoe, I had a chance to go the playa (beach), get a wicked tan, enjoy the water, walk under coconut trees, as well as visit slightly larger Kuna-inhabited islands. It was so much fun riding btw the little islands in a canoe, especially when the waters got a bit choppy (but it never tipped over!). I even went to a Kuna museum and saw some kids practicing for a dance ceremony and play basketball. It was so cool hanging out with and getting to know the Kunas. I speak limited Spanish and no Kuna, but we were able to communicate and laugh and share stories. It was pretty cool hearing about how the Kuna had fought off the Panamanians and Western conquerors for centuries and maintained their culture.

That night, Antonio, who takes care of the lodge, had prepared an amazing dinner for me. I also walked around the little island with the lodge and bought tons of beers (only a buck a pop) and shared them with some of the Kuna men hanging around. We also talked, laughed, sat on the rocks, enjoyed the sunset. Talked to as many Kuna as I could. They are very friendly and I was the only foreigner/tourist on the island at the time. Hung out with Antonio/Pepe at the Lodge and then went to bed. There is no electricity or Internet but that is the magic of this place. You are around eternal beauty and nature so you don't need any of that other stuff. But the folks here really take care of you. I never once felt unsafe.

I only stayed one night unfortunately. Everyone wakes up at the crack of dawn - due to the roosters and lack of electricity. And the day begins anew. I left that morning by canoe and was sad to go. I was picked up by my same driver at the "bus stop" and returned to Panama City. I had a blast with Antonio and Pepe. Miss you guys!

Much love, Josie.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank wavypearl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Binghamton, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

I had made it clear that I wanted to spend my time visiting several islands and purchasing molas during my trip. I was promised a boat and escort the first day which never materialized. The second day I grudgintly was quickly taken to two nearby islands and that was it. There is absolutely no electricity at the Lodge, and very little illumination in the evening. The community toilets don't flush and there is only occasionally water to wash your hands. The food was mediocure at best. If you didn't speak Spanish you were out of luck as no one spoke any English. One the plus side the Lodge was on the wate with a nice view from the balconyr. There was only one chair in the whole place. There were two hammocks and a picnic table downstairs.

Room Tip: There is no good room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank pkibbee
Montreuil, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

My friend and I stayed for three days and absolutely loved it. Every one there was great and Jose was especially helpful and knowledgeable. If you are looking for white sand and clear blue water beaches this is the place to go. The Kuna culture is also very interesting and adds a little culture to a relaxing stay. I'd recommend this place any time and would love to go back.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank terriblet79
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

I just read a very negative comment made by somebody, I believe this person made a mistake on the hotel. I was there in the month of April of this year (2011). To begin with, the Hotel was always clean. The food was always fresh cook and the seafood was always caught on the same day. I never saw or eat any type of can good food. The people in this hotel always make me feel welcome and they were very friendly. I will recommend it to anybody to come and please visit and see it for themselves.

Mrs. Hawkins of Florida

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Puntachame
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Disgustingly dirty place, horrible service, and canned food, no fresh as they promise...That was a waste of time and money!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank TracyStephany
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

I Went on this trip alone and people were so friendly and made me feel at home,I also was able to have direct contact with the Kuna Indians which I enjoyed and they lived very primitave life style.The island didn't have electricity but the hotel I stayed at did.The hotel package included all my amentities .Over all I learned alot about the culture there and learned a few things myself.I would highly recommend the trip to this island to anyone that likes adventure and to learn about other cultures.The water was so clear and beautiful that you could see the star fish and other fish.Great for scuba diving and just enjoying clear waters swimming.We went out on a boat tour and got to see dolphins playing.

Room Tip: Book in advance to get the best prices.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank joaz2006
Porto Alegre, RS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

I have no doubt that my boyfriend and I had the best vacation of our lives during the time we spend at the hotel Anbabnega. There we met amazing people who have become great friends. I have no words to describe how wonderfull Bethy, José (Pepo), Rey and his wife were for us! Is the best hotel staff you will find, don´t matter where you go!
Surely we will return to Anbabnega next year to experience more about Kuna culture and to spend more time in this paradise that is the Gulf of San Blas!
I just got back from there and I already miss it!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
#4 of 27 in San Blas Islands
Cabanas Demar Achudup
Cabanas Demar Achudup
#1 of 1 in Masargantupo

Been to Anbabnega Lodge? Share your experiences!