“Spectacular”
other traveller has booked this property
The Main House
Welcome!  Say hello to the sea turtles swimming below your deck and the pelicans soaring by!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The Main House
Kitchen and indoor dining area with indoor breakfast bar
Your kitchen window view and outdoor breakfast bar...'more coffee anyone?'
Looking down from the secong floor railing
View from upstairs inside balcony
Outdoor breakfast bar looking to south sound
Breakfast bar outside kitchen
Main deck outdoor seating area
view from one of the outdoor dining areas with seating for 12.  'Let's dine out tonight under the stars and watch the...
View from twin bedroom side window
View from kitchen
Balcony  in main house
Outdoor dining area
Horizon edge pool with BBQ area to the left
One of the seating areas in the living area
twin bedroom in main house
Virw from pool suite master bedroom
Pool suite view
View from pool suite bedroom
Patio and pool from corner of property
Media room
Horizon edge pool
One of the many decks
Stairway to the villa
Bathroom in the main house lower level
Rainbow from the main deck
Bedroom lower level main house
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Breezy_10
McKinney, Texas
“Nice but Not What We Expected”
Reviewed 21 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015
people found this review helpful

I really, really wanted to love Anam Cara. I had looked forward to being there on it's beautiful balconies and in the inviting swimming pool for months. What we got upon arrival, however, was not quite what we had been expecting.

First the good stuff. Anam Cara is a beautiful, well-kept home on both the interior and exterior (with the exception of a well-worn sofa in the media rom). The kitchen was beautiful and very well-appointed, everything we needed to cook a meal was there, they even had a Brita water pitcher at the ready. We were exhausted from our travels so we chose the first bedroom we came to and it was spacious with a very nice master bathroom with both a tub and shower. There were plenty of towels for both indoor and beach use and the home's décor, furniture and fixtures were very nice.

The owners have thoughtfully provided soft-sided coolers and fold-up chairs to take to the beaches and there is a really nice, clean outdoor grill to use. The outdoor furniture looked fairly new and the views were very dramatic. I can see where a group of people would be very comfortable sitting there and unwinding after a good meal.

Although we were the only two people there, I can see where the layout would be great for a large family or couples traveling together. The bedrooms are spread out and on separate levels. I wouldn't recommend it for people with very small children or those with mobility issues, there are several levels to this home and lots of stairs.

The drive to Anam Cara was very secluded and is what we had expected. It is next to a piece of farmland and there is only one other villa on that bay. The property is within close driving distance to the Gun Creek ferry, Leverick Bay and Hog Heaven and is about a 20 minute drive from Spanish Town and all the activity there.

Gloria, the housekeeper, was very nice and a good source of information of area attractions. Having her come in the middle of the week to tidy up was wonderful.

On the flip side, there were several areas where we were, quite frankly, more than a little disappointed with our choice of villas. One of those areas was a lack of washer/dryer. I understand water/electric conservation and am all for it. However, I don't like packing home two suitcases full of smelly, dirty beach clothes and it is nice to have fresh clothes during the week. It was mentioned as an available feature on two other websites, although admittedly not on the villa website, so it was frustrating to find the washer/dryer locked behind a "staff only" door.

The other let down was the pool. I don't know when the maintenance was scheduled, but the filtration pump and the beautiful fountains featured on the website never ran the entire week we were there. Lots of debris in the pool the one afternoon we decided to use it (well, we paid for it, so might as well as enjoy it once) and on more than one occasion, we had to run chickens out of it (that was kind of funny, now that I'm thinking of it). :)

The outdoor shower that was a must for us (we loved that quirky, island feature on our last villa) was not quite as private as I had hoped as the opening for the shower faces a "private" dirt road next to the villa. On several occasions, we looked out to see a vehicle parked there within eyeshot of the shower. This may sound nit-picky, but my husband wasn't too happy about having to make a quick dash inside mid-shower. Live and learn.

These were all issues that would have been easy to overlook had it not been for the main issue, our biggest disappointment: the beach. It wasn't that the beach was a rocky beach, we were perfectly fine with that and had expected that from reading reviews and looking at the pictures. It was the overwhelming mass of seaweed that invaded the bay in front of the property. It was evident from the moment we got out of our Jeep in the driveway, the smell was overwhelming: rancid, putrid, decaying seaweed. There are no words to describe how miserable we felt when we stood on the balcony of the villa to start a vacation we had planned for, spoke about and dreamed of for 5 months and couldn't even stand to be outside for more than a few minutes, the smell was that overpowering. This left the beautiful balconies, the pool and the beach nearly unusable. My husband came up with a "charming" name for our home's location: Poo Poo Bay. Yes, it was that bad.

I understand this is not in anyone's control - I want to recognize that fact. Also, the seaweed problem is in many areas, not just in front of this home. However, I do wish we had been told of this before we traveled a day and a half to arrive to find that putrid mess. Compared to other villas I had almost booked, I feel we didn't get what we paid for when all is said and done. Would I book it again? Possibly. Would I recommend it to others, yes if you are looking for a secluded location. However, I would want to clarify the use of the washer dryer, the maintenance schedule for the pool, and would want to confirm that the area wasn't experiencing the issues with the seaweed again.

Liked best: The home's amenities
Liked least: The smell.
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Large groups
captainbo...
Niantic, Connecticut
“Spectacular”
Reviewed 16 March 2015 for a stay in February 2015

Absolutely gorgeous Villa perfectly appointed. Beautiful infinity pool with heavenly views of torquoise seas. Wonderful night time breezes thru out the Villa make for perfect sleeping weather. A car is a must and the driving is easy. Don't be intimidated. Have chef Puck come in at least one night and cook up a feast at a very affordable price. Plenty to do & see. Can't wait to go back.

Liked best: Privacy
Liked least: Only one week
Your age range 65+
Large groups
PSY01930
Gloucester, Massachusetts, United States
“My 3rd Visit To Anam Cara”
Reviewed 2 February 2015 for a stay in January 2015

My title says it all. Often times I ask people who have returned from Holiday "Would you go back?"...or.... "Would you do it again?"

My answer for Anam Cara? Yes...and ...Yes.

Many lovely, fun things to do on Virgin Gorda. Check out the Baths, a must experience on Virgin Gorda. Anam Cara is very private but also very accessible. Gun Creek is 5 minutes away from the Villa. There is a grocery store there (Bucks Market) where you can purchase everything you need. Also at Gun Creek you can get on a free water taxi, which will bring you to The Bitter End and Sabra Rock. Both great places to dine.

We're figuring out when to book for next year.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Very Private and very accessible.... all in one.
Families with young children Large groups
TomF4100
Nantucket, MA
“STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL”
Reviewed 22 January 2015 for a stay in January 2015
people found this review helpful

Having just returned from a week long stay at Anam Cara Villa, I am already looking to plan dates to return next year! I travelled there with 5 other long time friends for a reunion week of sorts and this property could not possibly have been better suited to meet our needs. With all of our questions answered in advance by a very helpful owner, this property is very easily reached, and while removed enough to offer complete privacy, it is also close to anything to you might need or chose to do.

The property offered many communal settings - living room, media room, numerous furnished decks, pool area, etc. - for us to gather as a group, as well as enough bedrooms for each of us to have our own private room with bathroom and deck! The kitchen is complete with every appliance/utensil you might need and we took advantage of that (and the grocery store nearby) to cook a delicious breakfast every morning as well a couple of bountiful dinners at night.

The setting is stunningly beautiful! EVERY window provides a unique and breathtaking view. The house is sited in such a way that the ocean views are abundant and fantastic! I would barely need to lift my head off my bedroom pillow to gaze out over the water. The house is also surrounded by mountains and grazing land for the many cows nearby. I found myself spending a lot of time just gazing out of the windows at the many varied views. We also took advantage of the many amenities the house offered, especially the infinity pool to escape the hot Caribbean sun, as well as the beach directly in front of the house that provided many hours of swimming and snorkeling pleasure.

Off the property we enjoyed a day at both the Baths as well as the beach at Savannah Bay, both highly recommended! On several occasions we also took advantage of the close proximity of North Sound. A short 5 minute drive from the house is Gun Creek where there is a grocery store as well ferry terminal that offers free water taxi service to both Saba Rock as well as the Bitter End Yacht Club. We enjoyed fantastic meals at both of these spot - the last ferry departs at 11pm. I would highly recommend each of these spots for a lunch or dinner out.

My week on Virgin Gorda, and especially my week at Anam Cara, far exceeded any hopes or expectations I had on arriving there! I greatly look forward to returning soon!

Liked best: Location
Liked least: Leaving
Your age range 50-64
Families with young children
James R
“INCREDIBLE!”
Reviewed 17 November 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

This house has absolutely everything you could want on an island vacation. The home and views are unique and spectacular. The private pool was great and the house (and guest house) were clean, roomy, remote and peaceful. We spent the week with 2 couples and 3 teenagers exploring the bay and the island. I would highly recommend the house to anyone looking for a beach vacation in the Carribean. The owner was very helpful in assisting us with the plane and ferry schedules and all the information we needed. The owner also gave us a Virgin Gorda Island “to do” list which was a great help as we hit most of them (Hog Heaven, The Baths, Jumbie Dancers at Leverick Bay, roadside BBQ, and Saba Rock). I've been to the Carribean before and this home was the best. The house is beautiful and one of a kind.

Liked best: Privacy and views
Liked least: Travel time to house from St Thomas (but worth it)
Travelling group: Extended Family
Families with young children Large groups
David_LP9...
New York City, New York
“Beautiful place, difficult to get to”
Reviewed 2 September 2014 for a stay in August 2014

The island is beautiful, the home is very very isolated w beautiful, magnificent views. The only way to get there VIPs via a I mile long unsaved very pitted spooky road. It's not for everybody

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
10 Nov 2014
The Villa is located in one of the most scenic waterfront locations in a BVI designated marine sanctuary and near one of the last undeveloped landscapes on Virgin Gorda. This means that there are no other villas next door which provides great privacy in a safe, peaceful setting. The unpaved, level, public road to the villa is one mile long through one the last pieces of scenic waterfront traditional farmland in the BVI.
Ellen P
“When can we go back?”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 for a stay in March 2014

An unbelievable slice of heaven. Everything about the stay was better than imagined. The owners helped us learn about what to do before we had even arrived and they have such a high reputation among the locals that they all helped as well. The house is very private making it perfect for traveling with a large group of people. There are many things to do within a short walk or a quick car ride away. Sound Bay allowed members of our party to snorkel while others relaxed by the pool. Overall, the experience was perfect and the only complaint was that we couldn't stay forever!

Liked best: Privacy & Help from owners/locals
Liked least: May have been difficult to find the first time without help from locals!
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
;