Church Hill House
White Hart Hotel(Braintree)
US$88
The Bull Hotel(Halstead)
US$81
Holiday Inn Express Braintree(Braintree)(Great Value!)
US$62
HIExpress.com
The Swan(Thaxted)
US$88
US$83
PremierInn.com
The Saracens Head Hotel(Great Dunmow)(Great Value!)
US$139
Travelodge Stansted Great Dunmow(Great Dunmow)(Great Value!)
US$63
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
PremierInn.com
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsoak beamsfour poster bedb bvisiting englandattending a family eventfresh fruittea and biscuitswonderful staycharm and characterperfect place to stayfriendly hoststwo nightsinteresting objectsair basesusancomfortbedroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

I won't harp on about how quaint and beautiful a house this is as that is more than adequately covered in other reviews here, but trust me - it may look a little unprepossessing from the outside, but Church Hill House is like stepping back in time (in a good way).
Richard and Susan are also consummate hosts, being friendly and welcoming but not 'in your face'.
I was extremely fortunate in that they put me in the Oak Suite even though I was travelling alone, which (apart from needing a flick of the duster) was extremely comfortable and well appointed.
Breakfast was the best I've had in many establishments for many years (pssst - just order the 'special'!).
I cannot recommend strongly enough that you book in and stay here before Richard and Susan realise how much better THEIR service is than the competition and double their room rate! ! !

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 September 2013

My sister my niece and I stayed at Church Hill House last weekend on a trip back to visit all of our childhood haunts. From the minute we arrived Susan could not have done more for us! After a long day we arrived and were given a very welcome cup of tea in front of a beautiful log fire. Susan was very friendly and shared her great local knowledge about restaurants etc. The rooms were cosy, warm, clean, comfortable and contained everything we could possibly want. Susan even went the 'extra mile' and taxied us to and from our restaurant, very much appreciated, thank you. We had a fantastic breakfast to send us on our way - we will definitely be back!

1  Thank Gonky30
Reviewed 21 September 2013

From our arrival on a chilly September afternoon, where we were welcomed with tea in front of a roaring log fire, to our departure the following morning, nothing was too much trouble for our host Susan. Rooms were clean and cosy and beds very comfortable. When we mentioned we were booked into a restaurant that evening in the neighbouring village, Susan even offered to drive us there and back so that we could have a drink - service well beyond the call of duty!
With a delicious breakfast with lots of choice, I cannot fault this charming and friendly Bed and Breakfast and hope to return very soon!

Reviewed 20 September 2013

My mother, my aunt and I stayed at Church Hill House last weekend. Every aspect of the place and our hosts exceeded our expectations, we were greeted warmly with tea by a log fire and looked after amazingly well throughout our stay. The rooms are fascinatingly unique in their decoration; very homely and the beds were comfortable. We had everything we needed in terms of provisions and facilities and Susan was a wonderful host with great knowledge of the area.
Breakfast the following morning was delicious with an excellent menu to choose from to suit everyone's tastes.
A wonderful part of our weekend away and we would definitely return.

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I took my 90 y/o grandfather, father and I to Wethersfield, England so we could see Grandpa's WWII Airbase. Church Hill House was recommended to us through friends and we could not be any more delighted. Susan and Richard feel like part of our family! They were the most gracious hosts! We could have chatted for days! This 500 year old home is so unique and precious! I can not begin to tell you how wonderful a time we had with Susan and Richard and they showed us Finchingfield which is a beautiful village near by and introduced us to the Sunday Carving Lunch! There is a church across the street with beautiful grounds and graveyard. The English Breakfast and treats they served were delicious!! They even made me a rhubarb crumble because I had eyed it at the Sunday Carve the day before but was too full to eat it at the time. I can not wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family