The Horn Of Plenty
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$194
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
The Duke of Tavistock(Tavistock)
US$152
US$147
US$181
US$174
Hotel Endsleigh(Milton Abbot)
US$321
Moorland Garden Hotel(Yelverton)(Great Value!)
US$146
Crooked Inn(Saltash)
US$126
US$121
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewstamar valleythe main housetasting menufine diningamuse bouchelarge balconyspecial occasioncountry housemichelin starvenisonlobstercoach housedrawing roombirthday treatstunning viewssuperior roomhotel restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I've been to this area many times over the years, but this is my first stay at the Horn of Plenty. After my first stay there, I would definitely like to stay there again in the future.
The first impression as you pull up to the hotel is the amazing vista across the Tamar Valley. Truly stunning. This view can be seen from many areas in and around the hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed as are the other rooms around the hotel where you can relax. Every member of staff I met where polite and helpful and always willing to help. The hotel also has some lovely gardens you can explore or relax in. If this hasn't already made you want to visit I have to add that the food in the hotel restaurant was exquisite. As good as any of the fine dining restaurants I have been to around the world. Is worth going just for a meal, even if you don't stay there.
All in all a wonderful place to stay for a relaxing break. Highly reccomended.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Z-Man24
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We splashed out on the best room in the main house which was great - the bedroom and bathroom were huge and comfortable. The restaurant has been extended since we last visited - the food was exceptional - as good as (if not better) than most meals I have had in London. The staff are friendly and helpful. In summary, a lovely hotel, and one of the best country hotels I have stayed in for a long time.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jack64
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I visited the Horn of Plenty for lunch to celebrate my 40th birthday and what a surprise that turned out to be. Im no pushover for a good review but after experiencing what I consider to be the best food I have ever sampled I thought it worthy of a comment. We were met at the hotel by a member of staff and directed to the terrace which has a fantastic elevated view over the prevailing valley for a drink while we pondered over the lunch menu. Following on from the delicious canapes I settled on the pork belly for starters and a trio of Sea Bream, Turbot and Scallops for main course ("all delivered fresh that morning from the port of Looe", I was told) served with a delicate balance of garden vegetables and the chefs latest creations. Main course drifted into a desert of ginger pudding and local clotted cream and ice cream and I was seriously worried of never being able to leave this place. Back on the terrace for coffee and petit-fours and my lunch now straddling most of the afternoon was finally over. In summary, a total surprise, best described as an assault on the senses. I am already planning a trip back.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ribsy-40
Reviewed 7 July 2010

Pros:
balcony
pretty hotel and nice views
located in a nice area of Devon
nice terrace to have pre-dinner drinks on
hotel makes a lovely base for exploring the area

Cons:
I found it a little noisy (room was above restaurant and there was noise til midnight and again from 7am).
I found it difficult to find something suitable to eat there (i'm vegetarian) so we cancelled dinner the second night but my husband said the food he had was delicious and was beautifully presented.

I'm not sure I would recommend it for others on honeymoon, as the service wasn't exceptional, but for a weekend break its a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pomcycle
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We stayed here on June 11th after a great week in Cornwall. The hotel was everything we hoped for and more. It was my boyfriend's birthday and they gave us personalised menu cards to honour this and also a Birthday decorated dessert for him. We had a garden room which was beautiful with stunning rooms from the terrace . Lovely touch of fresh milk and shortbread with the provided tea and coffee tray. The weather was gorgeous which did make the room a bit too hot overnight but otherwise it was perfect. Bedding to die for - you feel like you are enveloped by a fluffy cloud. Dinner was incredible and also a lovely breakfast. Staff are so helpful and friendly and you feel they can't do enough for you. Thanks to all for such a special stay. Tavistock is also a really nice place to explore.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple