“What a find!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed and ate at Gordon's on 10/11 May with our two teenaged children and we all agreed that this was meal to remember. We covered all three starters: the double baked cheddar soufflé; the ham hock, guinea fowl & prune mosaic terrine with a delicate pea pannacotta; and scallops with cauliflower, raisin caper dressing. All were sublime with a marvelous blending of subtle flavours.

We covered two of the mains: the pistachio crusted lamb, confit shoulder, ravioli, butternut squash and tomato jus which was perfectly cooked and beautifully presented; and Gressingham duck breast, slow cooked leg, celeriac mushroom gnocchi and beetroot jus which was fabulous.

Desserts were also superbly presented: the Valrhona chocolate parfait, red wine poached pears with cinnamon ice-cream was to-die-for; and the glazed lemon tart with honey mascarpone cream was a perfect blend.

The cheese board was a good blend of Scottish and guest continental cheeses and the wine choice was good with fair pricing.

I have eaten in many up-market restaurants but Gordon's will remain a memorable experience and it is on our list of places to return. We found the food superb, and the service balance just right, as is often the case in family run establishments. Consequently, I have no hesitation in recommending Gordon's to fellow foodies.

1  Thank logieboy

Reviewed 15 May 2014

One of the most wonderful meals we have ever had. The atmosphere was lovely and the decor beautiful. Perfect relaxed service from start to finish. Every course was gorgeous but the "pre pudding" pudding was one of the best we've tasted. The attention to detail was what made the evening for us - home-baked bread, a good amount of time between courses, the dish being brought to the table and explained, the hand-made petit fours. We rolled away from the table feeling happy and full. One of our top 5 meals ever and we fully intend to return as soon as we can. Where is their Michelin star?!

2  Thank Curlypow44
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Ate lunch recently. I have to give this a "very good" rating in order to be fair to the chef - the food was first rate but I have to say that the experience was spoiled by the waitress.

a. Failing to notice we had arrived - we were left standing waiting to be acknowledged for far too long.

b. When I asked for a slice of lemon in our tap water the waitress was rather taken aback and informed me that they only serve lemon with bottled water. (What??) However she agreed to break the rules and bring us 2 slices of lemon.

c. The wait between courses was ludicrous. I don't like to be hurried but there is a limit. When I had the temerity to ask the waitress if she could serve our desserts when she was ready, she gave me both barrels and spluttered in an extremely patronising manner that "this is a three rosette, fine dining restaurant, food is made to order, we don't hurry people"and "was I in a hurry?" Not the "certainly madam" I was expecting. I think she has to be reminded that the paying public are the masters and not the chef. If I want my dessert, I want my dessert and surely it is her job( no matter what she thinks) to relay that message to the chef and not give me an argument.
I really couldn't react the way I wanted to as I was with my mother and didn't want to spoil her day.

2  Thank singer210
Reviewed 2 May 2014

This was the second time we had stayed at this lovely restaurant with rooms in the tiny village of Inverkeilor and we were not disappointed. The restaurant had been completely refurbished since our last stay and though we had loved it as it was the changes made the room light, airy and very comfortable. The food was excellent - interesting, varied and beautifully cooked at both dinner and breakfast (the latter always a good test of quality). The Courtyard Suite was very comfortable and cosy and had everything we needed for our stay. Maria, Gordon and Garry couldn't have done anything more to make our second stay as memorable as the first. Thank you!

1  Thank Contullich
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed and dined at Gordon's Restaurant with rooms last year and it was so good we couldn't wait to return. On our recent visit the bedrooms have been refurbished to a seriously high standard comparable to any 5 star boutique hotel room I have stayed in, only at a fraction of the price! As for dinner, its just a class act serving consistently outstanding Michelin star standard food, from the breads that are truly Amazing!!, starter of Wood pigeon with celeriac, apple and beetroot jus, intermediate of Lightly curried pea veloute with Arbroath Smokie, main course of pistachio crusted lamb, confit shoulder, pea ravioli and wild garlic, pre dessert of pineapple pannacotta then dessert of hot Valrhona chocolate cake with honeycomb ice cream and banana WOW!! petit fours and espresso to finish. Superb knowledgeable service and excellent good value wines matches the stylish restaurant with bags of character. Breakfast is also amazing, they even make their own sausages! Will be back again.

2  Thank Oscar R