“What an exciting find! ”

Gordon's Restaurant with Rooms
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

My husband and I have wanted to visit for a while but just haven’t managed to fit it in. We finally went last night and wished we’d been before! To find an AA 3*** restaurant in rural Angus is very exciting. We don’t live far away but would certainly travel further to eat here.
We were made to feel very welcome right from the stages of booking through to leaving.
I can not fault the food, it was all delicious. A 4 course menu with 2 choices for each course is perfect. Everything sounded delicious so we chose opposites in order to see and taste all dishes. A wonderful wine list and such friendly relaxed service made for a very enjoyable evening.
This is an exceptional family run restaurant that I cannot recommend highly enough. I’m already looking forward to our next visit!

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank chompandmunch

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

My Husband & I have just celebrated our 30th Anniversary at Gordon’s which comprised of an exceptional meal and stunning accommodation. Maria & Gary go the extra mile and beyond of hospitality and food knowledge. No pretentious but genuine friendliness, amazing experience, thanks Elaine & Alex

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank witkins
Reviewed 3 October 2018

Have to say this was probably the best meal we've ever had. Food is presented beautifully and the flavours were incredible. Menu choice is pretty restricted to choice of two dishes per course so we opted to choose one of each course to try everything. Starters were cheese souffle or salmon tartare both of which were superb. Mains were duck or rock turbot again both were brilliant.

Be warned though, you get what you pay for as it is very expensive at £65 per head but even at the price it was worth it.

We stayed in one of the rooms which was very comfortable, and we'll happily return.

Date of visit: September 2018
2  Thank DiscoDon
Reviewed 2 October 2018

Went on the recommendation of friends and as we live some 100 miles away we stayed the night so will do the review in two sections.
Room and breakfast:- we stayed in the Artichoke Room, nicely decorated, small compact but adequate shower room with big fluffy towels. Two issues with the room, tv screen was tiny, but as your not in the room for long this wasn’t a big problem, secondly the sockets are in the skirting board which made it difficult to plug in the hairdryer, just an oversight I’m sure but had to use the socket by the window, so no mirror. Breakfast was fresh squeezed orange filled by prunes, soaked in earl gray tea and served on local yogurt, sausage, bacon, tomato, fried egg and wonderful stornoway black pudding. Filtered coffee and toast finished a lovely fresh breakfast.

Dinner was superb! Started with mull of Kintyre cheese soufflé delicious and husband had salmon, equally delicious. My main was duck and husband had turbot and again presentation and taste was amazing. We finished with cheese and biscuits and apple tart. This is actually very basic description as we also had an amuse buche a delightful little melt in the mouth biscuit, a velute very tasty, a sorbet which was a delicious palate cleanser . I’m really not doing this justice, so just go you won’t be disappointed.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank 639liza
Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

It was a couple of years, shamefully, since our last visit to Gordon’s and we couldn’t believe it when Maria remembered our names & that I was pregnant when we last visited (we were booked in under friend’s name). What a fabulous start to a fabulous stay.

The dinner menu is based on 21212 dining which you might think would be limiting but that never feels like the case. You can tell that the chef Garry takes a huge amount of pride in both the ingredients & their preparation.

Best fish I’ve tasted in a very long time and the pea veloute packed more flavour per spoon then any I’ve had before. I have a “few” dietary requirements and they are never a problem for Garry. I never feel that I am missing out on anything.

The restaurant is very tastefully decorated and you never feel too close to other diners.

We stayed overnight again on this visit in one of the beautifully decorated rooms. Very comfortable indeed. Breakfast the next morning was lovely as always. Best scrambled eggs I have ever had.

It’s hard to believe that the restaurant is run by only two people. The level of service and the standard of food would lead you to believe that there is a small army involved. A formidable family partnership.

I hope that the business continues to be the fine dining success that it is. It definitely won’t be so long before our next visit this time.

Many thanks Maria & Garry from Smithy & Tracey xx