Balnabrechan Lodge B&B
Park Hotel(Montrose)
  • Breakfast included
Marykirk Hotel(Marykirk)
View Hotel
All reviewsmade us feellunan bayplaces to visitthe perfect hostb bsecond to nonelarge bedroomwould recommend this to anyonelog firebeautiful locationst andrewsjuleshostessloungescotlandhouseaccommodation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I would highly recommend this beautiful cabin, the rooms and living area were absolutely gorgeous. I especially loved the log fire which Jules had on for us returning from our chippy tea, which was the best chippy I have ever had. The living area was beautiful with log fire, atmospheric lighting, it was like home from home. I took my mum and dad with my husband for a night away as my dad had been through the mill through illness. My parents had an absolutely lovely time. The cabin, Jules (the host) and breakfast was lovely.

I would have given the lodge a five star, however, I was a little disappointed that I was unable to book for one night unless out of season and then when I did get booked we were not able to get into the cabin until 4 pm and had to be vacated by 10 am the next day. The other point that I was a little disappointed with was that although dogs are welcome, dogs are not really allowed out of their cage. Our little boy is part of our family and doesn't get left shut in a room, especially in a strange environment. I understand that there are B & B's that don't allow dogs, which is fine and totally understandable, but I felt that this one although lovely I do not think I would return as I felt a little on edge with having the dog. Even outside, I was asked to keep him in the car as the owners dog was out in the field and her dog may not be friendly!

All in all absolutely lovely cabin, lovely breakfast and very tentative host, so if your not going with a four legged family member you will have a fab time.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
lodge911, Owner at Balnabrechan Lodge B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for your lovely review glad you enjoyed your time here. Sorry to hear that you feel you could not return because of your dog issue. We have had lots of guests with various sizes of dogs staying and we just ask that they be kept on a lead when outside we do not say your dog has to be kept in the car and we only ask,that if you have a cage when the dog is left alone in the room he be in his cage, you're doggie was happily sitting curled up in front of the fire so we do not feel it is correct to say that your dog has to be kept in the cage at all times . We just asked that he be kept in the cage during breakfast as we don't think it,s appropriate to have a dog in the breakfast room

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed at Balnabrechan for 2 nights at the beginning of September. The house is definitely different being a log cabin and is very homely. It has a lovely quiet countryside setting and is within easy walking distance of beautiful Lunan beach. We had a wing to ourselves with large bedroom and private bathroom and were able to use the comfortable lounge where there is a TV. Jules was very welcoming and provided us with wine and nibbles upon arrival. She also very kindly left out scones for us the following day when we came back to the house after sight seeing and enjoyed a relaxing afternoon sitting outside enjoying the sunshine and peace and quiet. Breakfast both days was very nice and I tried an Arbroath smokie which was delicious. We both really enjoyed our short stay at Balnabrechan, would stay there again and would definitely recommend to anyone. We ate at Hornblowers in Gourdon and the But n' Ben at Auchmithie and both were very good.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
lodge911, Owner at Balnabrechan Lodge B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thank you for your lovely review.
Always happy to hear guests comments. Glad you managed to get some down time to enjoy the peace and quiet.
Look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to scotland

Reviewed 27 August 2013

The large wooden cabin is situated between Abroath and Montrose in the middle of an agricultural shaped landscape. The beautiful Lunar Beach is accessible by feet.
Our room (king-size large room) was indeed large and very comfortable. We also made good use of the many possibilities to sit outdoor (we most enjoyed the swing-seat with a nice view on the surrounding fields).
Our host Jules was welcoming, helpful and offered advise freely. Her dog Prudence watched over us calmly.
The breakfast was prepared with love and skill and we particularly appreciated the opportunity to test the local specialty, the 'Arbroath Smoky', a smoked haddock.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Pamige
lodge911, Owner at Balnabrechan Lodge B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Hello,

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Scotland.

Thank you for your review, hope you can come back again next year to enjoy Lunan Bay beach

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Just returned from a 3 day stay at the excellent Balnabrechan Lodge.
The rooms were very comfortable and the locally sourced food on offer was
good and plentiful.
Jules made us very welcome and was always ready to help plan our days
out with her local knowledge of where best to eat and visit.
Fresh milk in the bedroom each day for our coffee was much appreciated, along
with the home made cookies.
we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and hope to return soon.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
lodge911, Owner at Balnabrechan Lodge B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Hello thank you for your kind review.

Always happy to hear guests comments. Glad you had a relaxing stay and time to see other parts of scotland.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Liza and I have just finished a 700 miles bike ride from Cumbria to Skye via the east coast of Scotland. We stayed at many places on the trip (and have stayed at many others on earlier bike trips). However, we both agreed that Balnabrechan Lodge was the best, by some margin. The welcome, the easy atmosphere, the quality of the house, grounds, room, bed, bathroom, lounge and virtually everything else were outstanding. We were blessed with fine weather but nevertheless, could put our washing on after a long week's cycling and walk to Lunan Bay beach and then relax in Jules's wonderful lounge cum ship's engine room! Nothing appeared to be too much trouble for Jules, a great hostess. Good food for breakfast and finally, a characterfull dog, Prudence, to complete a most memorable stay. By the way, we reached the Isle of Skye on schedule!
Dogandliza

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
lodge911, Owner at Balnabrechan Lodge B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Hello thank you so much for your lovely review.

So glad the weather was kind to you for your cycling trip .
So far this summer weather has been excellent in this corner of
Scotland.
Hope you can plan us into your next cycling trip , you can race pru along the beach :-)
Kind regards