“Lovely B&B”

Tintern Old Rectory B&B
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Tintern
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Old Rectory. The room was charming and beautifully decorated, breakfast was delicious and the hosts were extremely helpful. They had lots of information about Tintern and the surrounding areas. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 November 2013

we have just been to an overnight stay at this guest house, it was a beautiful house with an on look view of the river Wye.
We were made very welcome when we arrived at the house introduced their selves and showed us to the room. which was the suite it was really quaint. The room was comfortable and with a large bath.
When we came down for breakfast which we chose the time to go down, we were offered a large choices of fresh juices, cereals fresh fruits and yogurt, a good variety off cooked breakfast foods, and a large variety of jams and marmalade's .
We were really impressed with everything and hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: The suite had a big bathroom, a small patio area, and a nice comfortable seating ara and frsh filter...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I was so excited to stay here after seeing all the photos online, and it turned out to be just as charming as pictured EXCEPT for the smell! I'm glad to see a few other reviewers mention it to know it wasn't just me - there was a pervasive, sickly sweet, wet dog odor that just ruined my stay. I've never been bothered by hotel room smells before, but this one was absolutely horrible. If it had only been downstairs I might not have minded, but it was everywhere in my room, even in the sheets when I went to bed. I left the window open when I went out in the afternoon, hoping that would help, but it didn't do a thing. And unfortunately it wasn't one of those smells that you get used to and then forget about; it was as unpleasant after I had been in the room for a few hours as it was at first.

It was such a pity, because otherwise it was a wonderful place that I really wanted to like - good value, great breakfast, adorable room, nice owners. They were very friendly, and I did not mention the smell as it was a one night stay, I didn't want to bother with moving or compensation, and since the owners obviously didn't notice the smell I felt awkward about it. From the many positive reviews I can see it doesn't bother everyone, and I wouldn't say I'm especially sensitive to bad smells, but it really wrecked my whole experience. I would have liked to give a higher rating, but that odor made it a poor stay. I couldn't wait to get out of my albeit pretty room, just to get away from the smell! I would not stay here again unless the odor issue had been addressed.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank AustenTraveller
Anika-Ruby, Owner at Tintern Old Rectory B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 27 October 2013

Hi,
I know we have had other reviews and thank you for reviewing all of our other things like service, food, room quality as either 4or5. The smell is not our dogs as people assume, (our dogs are never allowed upstairs and only in the guest areas by request). It is the fabric of the building. This building was built before your country was even formed. As such it has a historic 200+ year old smell of history. We have tried air fresheners and then people complain that we are trying to hind a bad smell. There is nothing unclean, it is the smell of history you smell and that is why we don't notice it. We are surrounded by history here. Sorry your experience wasn't everything you hoped for.
Regards,
Ian

Reviewed 22 October 2013

This was a great find we wanted to do a walk around Tintern area before going on the next day to a wedding a usk castle, this was perfect right by Tintern Abbey and a three hour circular walk around the old wire works which took us through woodland past streams and gave us a informative insight in to the history.

A great pub right by the Rectory feed us well in the evening and the bed at the rectory was huge and very comfortable, plenty of hot water and a big bath to soak in, the breakfast was the best we have ever had in a hotel or b&b organic & made fresh to order cereals juices and full welsh breakfast also waffles with maple syrup & bacon and all using local suppliers.

The owners try very hard and aim to please I would and have since returning recommended this to our friends & family. well done & thank you for a very pleasant stay .

Room Tip: the family suite was very big cosy and had a bath
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We had a really fabulous time here. Anika and Ian make you very welcome, and have lots of great information on the local area - places to eat and good walks. The bedroom was delightful, with crisp white sheets, a comfortable mattress, and very thoughtful touches. There was a pretty dressing table with a mirror where you can sit down properly and do your makeup, a generous supply of towels in the bathroom and also fluffy white bathrobes which is quite a luxury. The tea and coffee in the room is of high quality and they don't stint on supplies. The breakfast is amazing, and Anika went out of her way to get some soda bread for me, as I have a yeast intolerance. Another reviewer commented on how generous the hosts are, and I would second that. On top of all this, the view is beautiful, with a river that amazingly flows both ways, and a lovely area to explore. Can't wait to come back!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed in this beautiful guest house Saturday night, Ian and Anika are very friendly hosts. We are well travelled and in our opinion the breakfast menu was the best we have ever been offered, so many choices! Perfect breakfast, we had a suite with a patio outside the door, steps up to a garden. The room was perfect, dressing gowns, toiletries, no noise, spotlessly clean. Wonderful views from the house, loved the tiled floors as you enter the house where you can leave muddy shoes and boots. We are hoping next years big orienteering event in Wales is near this area we would not hesitate to book again. Great value.

Room Tip: We were at the side of the house, no road noise.
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We really enjoyed the guesthouse and the area. We arrived by taxi from Chepstowe station (about ten pound). There was a small local bus but we couldnt figure out where it left from in Chepstowe and we had luggage. You don't need a car to get here. We went on a couple of absolutely beautiful walks recommended by the hostess. The breakfasts are delicious. We walked all around town. There's a good bookshop and they will post your purchases home. Watch out for Daleks in the trees around the old station, must be a local thing? Amusing. The mattresses are great. Only one small problem for me was that someone smoked in an adjoining room and due to doors not being sealed, the smoke smell came into my bedroom at night. Not the owner's fault as the property is non smoking.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tintern
Best Western Royal George Hotel
Parva Farmhouse Riverside Guesthouse
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Glen-yr-Afon House Hotel
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Clearwell
The First Hurdle Guest House

Been to Tintern Old Rectory B&B? Share your experiences!